Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aikido/Bullshido in Dresden Files

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Aikido/Bullshido in Dresden Files

    Ok, this is a humorous thread, but I want to point out that Jim Butcher, as much as I like his books, seems to be an Aikido nutrider.

    The Dresden Files is a pretty good sci-fi/fantasy series. Not great by any means, but it's reasonably entertaining. It's a guilty pleasure.

    Anyways, Karren Murphy, a cop, fucking wristlocks people left and right, and is somehow able to disable 6'6 dudes with ease. There are quite a few times throughout the series when she literally lays out Dresden (who is 6'6 or so) with a punch to the jaw, stomach, or some wristlocky Aikidoish move. Keep in mind that she is described constantly as '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing'. I have to suspend my disbelief because no matter how good a '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing lbs' chick is, the chance in real life to lay out a 6'6 dude is astronomical. He would have to be the most untrained, lazy, out of shape, uncoordinated person ever to get the shit beat out of him (all of the above Dresden isn't), barring a nut shot.

    She also consistently beats the shit out of trained thugs with wristlocks and other Aikido moves.

    As much as I like Jim for bringing us Dresden Files and Codex Alera, he really needs to stop drinking the Aikido kool aide. The vibe I get from him is that he is a classic example of the small, pseudo intellectual dude who buys into the whole eastern mysticism bullshit to make himself feel better about being small and that technique will always trump meathead strength, etc. It's painfully obvious in his writing.

    #2
    And also, Harry Dresden can cast magic spells.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by FLMikeATT
      Ok, this is a humorous thread, but I want to point out that Jim Butcher, as much as I like his books, seems to be an Aikido nutrider.

      The Dresden Files is a pretty good sci-fi/fantasy series. Not great by any means, but it's reasonably entertaining. It's a guilty pleasure.

      Anyways, Karren Murphy, a cop, fucking wristlocks people left and right, and is somehow able to disable 6'6 dudes with ease. There are quite a few times throughout the series when she literally lays out Dresden (who is 6'6 or so) with a punch to the jaw, stomach, or some wristlocky Aikidoish move. Keep in mind that she is described constantly as '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing'. I have to suspend my disbelief because no matter how good a '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing lbs' chick is, the chance in real life to lay out a 6'6 dude is astronomical. He would have to be the most untrained, lazy, out of shape, uncoordinated person ever to get the shit beat out of him (all of the above Dresden isn't), barring a nut shot.

      She also consistently beats the shit out of trained thugs with wristlocks and other Aikido moves.

      As much as I like Jim for bringing us Dresden Files and Codex Alera, he really needs to stop drinking the Aikido kool aide. The vibe I get from him is that he is a classic example of the small, pseudo intellectual dude who buys into the whole eastern mysticism bullshit to make himself feel better about being small and that technique will always trump meathead strength, etc. It's painfully obvious in his writing.

      Sorry, im confused... is that about a mcdojo? is it about a fictional series? is it about a LARPer? is it about....

      Okay, can you explain in two sentences or less WTF this thread is about? :spanky:

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by eyebeams
        And also, Harry Dresden can cast magic spells.
        That too. But he literally bends over like a bitch and gets fucked up so many times throughout the series by Murphy that it's ridiculous. Murhpy is talked up as some fucking super!Aikido!cop that it depresses me. God I just want Dresden to fucking bitch slap her sometimes for being an uppity little 'I do Aikido, FEAR ME!!!111' bitch.

        Don't get me wrong, I love DF, but I always chuckle with amusement when Murphy wrist tosses 230 lb thugs all over the place.
        Last edited by FLMikeATT; 5/10/2008 2:18am, .

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by colonelpong2
          Sorry, im confused... is that about a mcdojo? is it about a fictional series? is it about a LARPer? is it about....

          Okay, can you explain in two sentences or less WTF this thread is about? :spanky:
          Yeah, it has to do with martial arts in a sci-fi fiction series. I don't expect anyone who hasn't read Dresden Files to understand what I'm talking about, but I just needed to get this off my chest.

          Bashing Aikido never gets old.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by FLMikeATT
            Ok, this is a humorous thread, but I want to point out that Jim Butcher, as much as I like his books, seems to be an Aikido nutrider.

            The Dresden Files is a pretty good sci-fi/fantasy series. Not great by any means, but it's reasonably entertaining. It's a guilty pleasure.

            Anyways, Karren Murphy, a cop, fucking wristlocks people left and right, and is somehow able to disable 6'6 dudes with ease. There are quite a few times throughout the series when she literally lays out Dresden (who is 6'6 or so) with a punch to the jaw, stomach, or some wristlocky Aikidoish move. Keep in mind that she is described constantly as '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing'. I have to suspend my disbelief because no matter how good a '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing lbs' chick is, the chance in real life to lay out a 6'6 dude is astronomical. He would have to be the most untrained, lazy, out of shape, uncoordinated person ever to get the shit beat out of him (all of the above Dresden isn't), barring a nut shot.

            She also consistently beats the shit out of trained thugs with wristlocks and other Aikido moves.

            As much as I like Jim for bringing us Dresden Files and Codex Alera, he really needs to stop drinking the Aikido kool aide. The vibe I get from him is that he is a classic example of the small, pseudo intellectual dude who buys into the whole eastern mysticism bullshit to make himself feel better about being small and that technique will always trump meathead strength, etc. It's painfully obvious in his writing.
            You know that TV isn't about real life, right?

            You've heard of suspension of disbelief, right?

            This is a stupid thread, right?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Steve
              You know that TV isn't about real life, right?

              You've heard of suspension of disbelief, right?

              This is a stupid thread, right?
              Yes, I know it's a stupid thread. I'm venting.

              And it's a book series. It was made into a tv show (a really shitty one at that), but I just wanted to see who else spotted the massive Aikido nutriding in Dresden Files.

              Comment


                #8
                Ok, as long as...

                Carry on.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
                    Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire
                    These people are so deep into their own delusions that it's just about impossible to drag them back from the abyss. The only way they will see the light is if they have a real altercation where they get mugged and/or have their face stomped on.

                    I knew some kids in high school that were huge DBZ/chi larpers, and I would laugh at them and their 'training'. I tried talking to them a few times to try to convince them that that stuff is fictional and bullshit designed to rope gullible, white, asian/japanophile teenagers out of their money, but they wouldn't listen to me and kept talking about how their ki/chi blasts were teh d3adly.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I told him aikido is for people who aren't scottish and aren't gay but still like to wear dresses and hold hands. We have to share a matt with them while i'm up here at college. And they make stupid comments and try to correct what a BJJ BLACKBELT is teaching us. Their lucky hes a nice guy and used to be into that bullshit himself. Anyway though I've never read the books but they sound cool, cept for the whole aikido nutridder thing.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
                        Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire


                        Of course BJJ won't work on the street...

                        Have you ever tried to armbar the pavement??

                        It's not pretty....
                        "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the shit out of you.
                        And when the shit's been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

                        "So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

                        "On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

                        "You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

                        "Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

                        "Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Yeah, that's the one consistent thing about the Dresden Files (book) series that routinely has me groaning. But the greater travesty is the Karrin Murphy character in general. An aikidoka who can physically defeat most opponents (some of whom are supernatural, i.e. vampires), has the CQB skills of an expert SOCOM operator, has a shitty temper, is physically abusive and is banging a half-demon mercenary. As much as I like the series, the whole Karrin Murphy thing always makes me want to stop reading.

                          Aloha, Poi
                          Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

                          Comment


                            #14
                            oh mai god!!! all my ki blast and hadouken are powerful, but I know they won't work on teh str33t cz I may destroy all the pavement, and Aikido tells us not to destroy, but love the agressor...

                            so next time, I'll kiss him in the mouth and while he is calling me "fagg" i can Aiki Kick Hiss Nutsack, and my str33t defense will be prfkt!!

                            omg.. xD

                            Comment


                              #15
                              :iamwithst
                              LOL Normally if I dont like a book I DONT READ IT. your actually pissed that one of the main characters in a SCI FI book can actually beat up the bad guys. From what Im reading on this thread you guys seem actually intimidated That a FICTIONAL girl can fight in a FICTIONAL fighting style that resembles a inefectual real world art. Dont blink at the fact there are vamipres and demons and who gives a fuck that the main male character can hurl magical chi fireballs, But OMFG A FEMALE IMAGINARY CHARACTER CAN FIGHT. What the fuck next voting rights?

                              GET A FUCKING LIFE.

                              its not just us chunners that are deluded. :ohyeah: :blob1: :jerkit2yf :XXjester:
                              Last edited by Hungry; 5/10/2008 5:31am, .

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X