X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kultist
    replied
    Originally posted by vinhthekid
    sad but true... i perfectly enjoy and immerse myself in the world of the dresdenverse as he fights fucking fallen angels, but the minute she wristlocks hendricks, i get jarred. it's kinda awkward.
    I bet it wouldn't jarr you if that character could do it because she was blessed with superhuman reflexes. It's the whole impossible/improbable thing.

Leave a comment:

• E-Van
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
    Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire
    Did you fucking destroy whoever said that to your face? If not you are just part of the PROBLEM man.

Leave a comment:

• vinhthekid
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Spector
    I can suspend disbelief for vampires, demons, wizards, etc. but successfully executed wrist-throws really hamper the verisimilitude.
    sad but true... i perfectly enjoy and immerse myself in the world of the dresdenverse as he fights fucking fallen angels, but the minute she wristlocks hendricks, i get jarred. it's kinda awkward.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Spector
    replied
    I can suspend disbelief for vampires, demons, wizards, etc. but successfully executed wrist-throws really hamper the verisimilitude.

Leave a comment:

• kultist
    replied
    Originally posted by poidog
    kultist, it's funny you mentioned that phrase. Through every creative writing course I took in college, that was one point EVERY professor emphasized. It's been a while since I've heard it.

Aloha, Poi
    I read it on the intuitor: http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/

Leave a comment:

• poidog
    replied
    Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
    ...and the sub prime mortgage crisis.
    Hahahah, you win.

Leave a comment:

• HappyOldGuy
    replied
    Blame Laurell Hamilton.

For everything really. Anita Blake is responsible for plague, famine, middle eastern strife, and the sub prime mortgage crisis.

Leave a comment:

• JingMerchant!
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodizapha
    That's ok I'm gay so if you're inbetween my other half's legs you should feel right at home.

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• poidog
    replied
    Originally posted by Hungry
    :iamwithst
    LOL Normally if I dont like a book I DONT READ IT. your actually pissed that one of the main characters in a SCI FI book can actually beat up the bad guys. From what Im reading on this thread you guys seem actually intimidated That a FICTIONAL girl can fight in a FICTIONAL fighting style that resembles a inefectual real world art. Dont blink at the fact there are vamipres and demons and who gives a fuck that the main male character can hurl magical chi fireballs, But OMFG A FEMALE IMAGINARY CHARACTER CAN FIGHT. What the fuck next voting rights?

GET A FUCKING LIFE.

its not just us chunners that are deluded. :ohyeah: :blob1: :jerkit2yf :XXjester:
    How about you learn to write properly - punctuation, capital letters and syntax - before you post anything else? Thank you, chardin, for understanding the point I was trying to make, and explaining it much better than I can.

kultist, it's funny you mentioned that phrase. Through every creative writing course I took in college, that was one point EVERY professor emphasized. It's been a while since I've heard it.

Aloha, Poi

Leave a comment:

• Rock Ape
    replied
    Originally posted by kultist
    As in, I'm inbetween your significant other's legs. It's a "o hai i'm doin ur girfirned lol' joke
    That's ok I'm gay so if you're inbetween my other half's legs you should feel right at home.

Leave a comment:

• DKJr
    replied
    Originally posted by mrblackmagic
    I offer, for your consideration, if the aikidokas at your gym are getting your goat why don't you challenge them. Make it clear it's friendly. In fact,tell them it's a crosstraining exercise. But please don't "vent" on the internet over the innanities of show/book series I liked. I'm already painfully aware of them.
    I did I choked some aikido guy who was like a foot taller and outweighed me by 50 lbs. They said it if was the street he would have bit me while I was choking him. :jerkit2yf

Leave a comment:

• Hungry
    replied
    Originally posted by kultist
    Go fuck a goat you mullet sporting, moonshine drinking, incest loving, NASCAR watching piece of illiterate trailer wank.
    Do you write for Hallmark? Cmon you do now dont you? Dont be modest. there you go, I knew it.

Unfortunately though these described "festivities" are not quite what I had in mind so I will have to take a raincheque. enjoy your "Bookclub" though...................... Necrophile :XXblowkis

Leave a comment:

• Cy Q. Faunce
    replied
    Yeah, that's the one consistent thing about the Dresden Files (book) series that routinely has me groaning. But the greater travesty is the Karrin Murphy character in general. An aikidoka who can physically defeat most opponents (some of whom are supernatural, i.e. vampires), has the CQB skills of an expert SOCOM operator, has a shitty temper, is physically abusive and is banging a half-demon mercenary. As much as I like the series, the whole Karrin Murphy thing always makes me want to stop reading.
    Karrin Murphy's character corresponds to a general trend in movies and books from the late 1990's to...well, to whenever it stops. It's as if we're overcompensating for generations of unrealistically helpless female characters by writing unrealistically invincible female characters. They're often physically abusive to a degree we'd rightly find unacceptable in a similarly tough male character.

I first noticed this trend in Caleb Carr's The Alienist, where Sara Howard pulls her derringer(!) constantly, waving it in the faces of her friends, occasionally cocking the hammer(!!). She is never held accountable for these incidents.

I'm inclined to think of it as a transitional stage. As we assimilate the idea that women can fight well, we'll probably get around to holding them equally accountable for their violent lapses. Until then, the trend-followers are going to keep writing dreadful crap.

Leave a comment:

• selfcritical
    replied
    Yeah, that's the one consistent thing about the Dresden Files (book) series that routinely has me groaning. But the greater travesty is the Karrin Murphy character in general. An aikidoka who can physically defeat most opponents (some of whom are supernatural, i.e. vampires), has the CQB skills of an expert SOCOM operator, has a shitty temper, is physically abusive and is banging a half-demon mercenary. As much as I like the series, the whole Karrin Murphy thing always makes me want to stop reading.

Aloha, Poi
    Well, the system uses FATE, so she's not actually using akido- she's using here Fists skill and tagging her "Stronger than she looks" and "One tough cop" Aspects to get bonuses.

Leave a comment:

• selfcritical
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
    Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire
    What's strange, is the only person I've met in real life who said akido had useful drills for helping with footwork in multiple attacker scenarios was a guy from the local sayoc group who trained primarily at a Straight Blast Gym. He said it was the only drill in aikido that was praticed with any level of resistance when he did it, and the only drill from it he still draws on.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X