• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Res Judicata View Post
    He's like the Michael Bay of writers.
    So... he sucks?

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
      So... he sucks?
      Not if you turn your brain off and just enjoy the shit going boom.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
        Not if you turn your brain off and just enjoy the shit going boom.
        That's pretty much it. For example, Transformers was not a great movie, but it was worth a few hours and 10 bucks to see. Same thing with the Dresden Files books--they make a good beach read.

Comment

If I can say one thing for Jim Butcher, I'll say this:
          He's never produced a book that was so self contradictory and just plain stupid as "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". I'll say he's the Eli Roth of authors, with an option to be the Sam Raimi of writers depending on how the Evil Dead remake turns out.

Comment

So basically you guys read shitty fantasy novels.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
              Between reading good ones, you need shitty ones to balance it out. The shitty ones piss you off, with you vowing never to read fantasy again. Then someone comes along and puts another fantasy book in your hands and you go back, not knowing whether you will be abused or loved by the author.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
                Can we just leave the bible out of this?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
                  Between reading good ones, you need shitty ones to balance it out. The shitty ones piss you off, with you vowing never to read fantasy again. Then someone comes along and puts another fantasy book in your hands and you go back, not knowing whether you will be abused or loved by the author.
                  No, I don't need to read shitty ones. I just go back to reading Brad Thor, Vince Flynn, & Lee Child while I wait for the next installment of Song of Fire & Ice.

At least with Jack Reacher, I know I'll be getting fight scenes full of headbutts, knees, & elbows, instead of Aiki-crap.

Comment

At least with Barry Eisler's John Rain series at least for the books I've read so far I only have to suspend my disbelief in the idea that an assassin would write down a first-hand account of his exploits. With John Rain I know I'll be getting Judo and BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
                      I have two words for all of you.
                      Jason Delucia.
                      He had magic + Aikido. He made a video series about "Combat Aikido" and also put curses on his opponents before fighting.

His kung-fu and grappling were the only things that actually won him fights, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho Dad View Post
                        At least with Barry Eisler's John Rain series at least for the books I've read so far I only have to suspend my disbelief in the idea that an assassin would write down a first-hand account of his exploits. With John Rain I know I'll be getting Judo and BJJ.
                        That was who I was forgetting.

Comment

This is all actually a good motivator for me to finish my book.

I might post a draft of my prologue in the VIP later today for comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost View Post
                            This is all actually a good motivator for me to finish my book.

I might post a draft of my prologue in the VIP later today for comment.
                            Do yourself a favor & pick up a John Rain novel & a Jack Reacher novel when you're done. You'll thank me.

Comment

I still have to finish Dances with Dragons, then my wife is bugging me to read World War Z so we can talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                                He had magic + Aikido. He made a video series about "Combat Aikido" and also put curses on his opponents before fighting.
                                Quoted for truth. I remember that Internet arguement where he took credit for Frank Shamrock's win over Basito because he sent some kind of yakuza hoodoo to Rutten's hotel room...and Bas came on there and confirmed that he did get some kind of Shinto devilry shipped to his hotel room, though he claimed it was before his fight with Jason and that the sheer Bas Rutteness of Bas Rutten meant the evil sorcery helped Delucia not at all.

Real life > Fiction

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X