Aikido/Bullshido in Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poidog View Post
    Yeah, that's the one consistent thing about the Dresden Files (book) series that routinely has me groaning. But the greater travesty is the Karrin Murphy character in general. An aikidoka who can physically defeat most opponents (some of whom are supernatural, i.e. vampires), has the CQB skills of an expert SOCOM operator, has a shitty temper, is physically abusive and is banging a half-demon mercenary. As much as I like the series, the whole Karrin Murphy thing always makes me want to stop reading.

Aloha, Poi
    And in a Harry Potter crossover, I'm sure a wristlock can beat "avada kadavra!"

Sounds written by some overweight twit in his mommy's basement.

Comment

I'm glad this thread got necro'd, because I also have recently started reading the Dresden Files. And I, too, had a harder time buying into Murphy being able to kick ass with Aikido than Harry being able to shoot fire out of his hands. What's more, the author continually references the "Aikido Trophies" in her office to show what a badass she is (who still ends up being weak and delicate and needing to be rescued a lot because Jim Butcher is really kinda sexist).
      Anyways, the series get's substantially better around book three. I didn't mind Stormfront, but I found Fool Moon to be, even for a book about werewolves, to be WAY too about werewolves. The whole thing read like a filler episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
      Anyways, shit gets good in Book Three. I've really come to admire the character of Harry in his diehard commitment to trolling, which starts kicking in around then.

Comment

I just had to make some posts in order to post links in another thread.....

Comment

Well do it in newbietown, noob. Stop bringing forgotten shit to the top of my feed.
          GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
          Originally posted by Devil
          I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
          Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
          I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Reading Ghost Story at the moment. There's a training scene with Murphy and one of the Einherjar, the Bullshido remains fairly strong.

Comment

Originally posted by LesbianSeagal View Post
              I just had to make some posts in order to post links in another thread.....
              You have an incredible user name so you can slide with a warning

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCache View Post
                You have an incredible user name so you can slide with a warning
                You really think I'd post about unrealistic sci-fu?

Comment

How many shitty books are we supposed to read before we get to the good ones?

Can't I just read good books to start off with?

What about the people who liked Butcher's first, shitty books? They enabled him to publish the subsequent volumes. Suckers or morons?

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
                    How many shitty books are we supposed to read before we get to the good ones?

Can't I just read good books to start off with?

What about the people who liked Butcher's first, shitty books? They enabled him to publish the subsequent volumes. Suckers or morons?
                    Unlike most, I actually enjoyed Storm Front pretty well. Fool Moon didn't really do it for me, though.

Comment

I have two words for all of you.
                      Jason Delucia.

Comment

It's entertaining trash. Emphasis on entertaining. Butcher isn't a great writer, but his books make for decent brain-off entertainment. He's like the Michael Bay of writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
                          I have two words for all of you.
                          Jason Delucia.
                          Who, like Harry Dresden, was notable for his use of magic in combat situations.

Comment

Just ask Bas Rutten.

Comment

Oh man, the Dresden Files. I ripped through those books a while back, and enjoyed them less and less as I went along. The Aikido thing didn't bother me, though; suspending my believe for the purposes of magic also covers Aikido wristlocks.

At one point, though--and I can't remember which book it was, but it wasn't one of the early ones--Jim Butcher seemed to have a seizure or something that caused him to just keep typing "the next best thing to" over and over again. I've never wanted to punch a book so much in my life as I did each time Harry said that whatever thing was the next best thing to the thing he actually needed.

Comment

I have a weakness for pulp fantasy/sci-fi

Personally I really enjoyed the first few Dresden Files, the middle went a little bit meh and the latest two are picking up again.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X