X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerAuslander
    replied
    Originally posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    At least with Barry Eisler's John Rain series at least for the books I've read so far I only have to suspend my disbelief in the idea that an assassin would write down a first-hand account of his exploits. With John Rain I know I'll be getting Judo and BJJ.
    That was who I was forgetting.

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I have two words for all of you.
    Jason Delucia.
    He had magic + Aikido. He made a video series about "Combat Aikido" and also put curses on his opponents before fighting.

His kung-fu and grappling were the only things that actually won him fights, though.

Leave a comment:

• Psycho Dad
    replied
    At least with Barry Eisler's John Rain series at least for the books I've read so far I only have to suspend my disbelief in the idea that an assassin would write down a first-hand account of his exploits. With John Rain I know I'll be getting Judo and BJJ.

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Between reading good ones, you need shitty ones to balance it out. The shitty ones piss you off, with you vowing never to read fantasy again. Then someone comes along and puts another fantasy book in your hands and you go back, not knowing whether you will be abused or loved by the author.
    No, I don't need to read shitty ones. I just go back to reading Brad Thor, Vince Flynn, & Lee Child while I wait for the next installment of Song of Fire & Ice.

At least with Jack Reacher, I know I'll be getting fight scenes full of headbutts, knees, & elbows, instead of Aiki-crap.

Leave a comment:

• Tom .C
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    So basically you guys read shitty fantasy novels.
    Can we just leave the bible out of this?

Leave a comment:

• DarkPhoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Between reading good ones, you need shitty ones to balance it out. The shitty ones piss you off, with you vowing never to read fantasy again. Then someone comes along and puts another fantasy book in your hands and you go back, not knowing whether you will be abused or loved by the author.

Leave a comment:

• DerAuslander
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Vince Tortelli
    replied
    If I can say one thing for Jim Butcher, I'll say this:
    He's never produced a book that was so self contradictory and just plain stupid as "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen". I'll say he's the Eli Roth of authors, with an option to be the Sam Raimi of writers depending on how the Evil Dead remake turns out.

Leave a comment:

• Res Judicata
    replied
    Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Not if you turn your brain off and just enjoy the shit going boom.
    That's pretty much it. For example, Transformers was not a great movie, but it was worth a few hours and 10 bucks to see. Same thing with the Dresden Files books--they make a good beach read.

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy
    replied
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    So... he sucks?
    Not if you turn your brain off and just enjoy the shit going boom.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    Originally posted by Res Judicata View Post
    He's like the Michael Bay of writers.
    So... he sucks?

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy
    replied
    I have a weakness for pulp fantasy/sci-fi

Personally I really enjoyed the first few Dresden Files, the middle went a little bit meh and the latest two are picking up again.

Leave a comment:

• CNagy
    replied
    Oh man, the Dresden Files. I ripped through those books a while back, and enjoyed them less and less as I went along. The Aikido thing didn't bother me, though; suspending my believe for the purposes of magic also covers Aikido wristlocks.

At one point, though--and I can't remember which book it was, but it wasn't one of the early ones--Jim Butcher seemed to have a seizure or something that caused him to just keep typing "the next best thing to" over and over again. I've never wanted to punch a book so much in my life as I did each time Harry said that whatever thing was the next best thing to the thing he actually needed.

Leave a comment:

• Psycho Dad
    replied
    Just ask Bas Rutten.

Leave a comment:

• TheMightyMcClaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I have two words for all of you.
    Jason Delucia.
    Who, like Harry Dresden, was notable for his use of magic in combat situations.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X