• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nerds...
    Says the man with a Krillin avatar.
    Originally posted by Newb1

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Comment

Book one down, not much but a passing mention or two of Aikido. ([email protected] "Aikido Trophies".) Into Book 2 and the bullshido is starting to work its way to the top of the sluice pit.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
        He had magic + Aikido. He made a video series about "Combat Aikido" and also put curses on his opponents before fighting.

His kung-fu and grappling were the only things that actually won him fights, though.
        Sounds like a perfect fit for the Dresden Files, what with all the Hwizrdry.
        Last edited by Goa Tse; 9/04/2012 9:31pm, .

Comment

I remember this really bugging me when I read this series..
          "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
          Kenny Weldon

Comment

So, it's scenes like this that make me love the Dresden files:
            Harry: "So, there's a new group of vampires in town."
            Bob: "I see. And you're waiting for them to make their move, to see what their after?"
            Harry: "Hell no. I'm going to break into their house and kill them in their sleep."
            The fool thinks himself immortal,
            If he hold back from battle;
            But old age will grant him no truce,
            Even if spears spare him.

Comment

I once read a fantasy novel where the hero was some kind of BJJ black belt.

There was a great fight scene about a third of the way through, where the hero and his opponent both started on their knees. The hero took a side mount very early, and then there were 15 blank pages where fuck-all happened.

Eventually, the bad-guy got gassed, did something silly, and the hero subbed him with an arm-bar. Sadly, it was all tangled in Gi, and the hero's back was in the way of the view, so we (the reader) didn't get to actually visualise it.

I tell you what though... it made for some really engaging and exciting mental imagery.
              sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
              "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
                I once read a fantasy novel where the hero was some kind of BJJ black belt.

There was a great fight scene about a third of the way through, where the hero and his opponent both started on their knees. The hero took a side mount very early, and then there were 15 blank pages where fuck-all happened.

Eventually, the bad-guy got gassed, did something silly, and the hero subbed him with an arm-bar. Sadly, it was all tangled in Gi, and the hero's back was in the way of the view, so we (the reader) didn't get to actually visualise it.

I tell you what though... it made for some really engaging and exciting mental imagery.
                Touche.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
                  I once read a fantasy novel where the hero was some kind of BJJ black belt.....awesomeness.
                  Still better written than Anita Blake's alleged "judo black belt".

If it's good and realistic fight scenes we're after, Louis L'amour's fist fighting scenes were always both convincingly written and fairly engaging.

Comment

Seriously, why aren't you nerds reading Jack Reacher?

Comment

I've just finished reading Killing Floor. Surprisingly not bad.

Spoiler:
                      I totally expected Roscoe to die

Comment

Bah! If you're not reading Larry Correira, you're some kind of quiche eating, wine sipping, turtle neck sweater wearing, talks about his feelings instead of repressing them SHEMALE who needs to visit Chael Sonnen's doctor and get a prescription for MAN, ASAP.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X