No announcement yet.

Aikido/Bullshido in Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SM Stirling's Emberverse series: Pretty decent Western swordplay and armed combat.

In fact, it wasn't until near the end of the third book there was a mention of the word "dojo" as a point of comparison, and Japanese fencing wasn't referenced until the fourth book. And hand-to-hand fighting, when it occurs, usually has "combatives" as a reference point, not any Asian system.

I laughed at the Aikido in the Dresden Files as much as I laughed at any of the sly jokes about Contemporary Fantasy. Harry Dresden is brain candy, like the WH40K books. You shouldn't take it too seriously.

Comment

Real life > Fiction
      Not always. DeLucia did manage to beat Masa Funaki while Funaki was just trying to "carry" him. With a win like that after just training grappling for a few months, I don't blame him for believing in magic.

So anyway, what are these Dresden Files books everyone's talking about? Is Harry Dresden like Harry Potter? Is the Aikido chick Hermione?

Comment

Originally posted by Styygens View Post
        I laughed at the Aikido in the Dresden Files as much as I laughed at any of the sly jokes about Contemporary Fantasy. Harry Dresden is brain candy, like the WH40K books. You shouldn't take it too seriously.
        Harry Dresden is brain candy, like the W40k books. You shouldn't take it too seriously.

The W40k books. You shouldn't take it too seriously.

W40k....sHoulDn't tAke iT tOo SerioUsly
        Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 8/31/2012 2:13pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
          *looks at avatar*

Comment

It seems I've started a Trollshido Heresy. The Legions are taking sides and amassing across the Galaxy in their great battleships capable of transversing the Immaterium. Even now, Astartes are anointing their holy bolters and chainswords with lubricating oils. Battle plate is being freshly painted, and oaths of moment are being written and sworn...

Comment

It seems I've started a Trollshido Heresy. The Legions are taking sides and amassing across the Galaxy in their great battleships capable of transversing the Immaterium. Even now, Astartes are anointing their holy bolters and chainswords with lubricating oils. Battle plate is being freshly painted, and oaths of moment are being written and sworn...

I've seen those little fellers. They're only about 3 inches tall and hand painted.

Comment

Originally posted by tom .c View Post
                i've seen those little fellers. They're only about 3 inches tall and hand painted.
                Size doesn't matter!

Comment

Does Butcher have a Twitter account?

Comment

Size doesn't matter!
                    Only for a lesbian...

P.S. I'm sure you all saw the Star Trek next generation ep. "Code of Honor" with the "Aikido 1" holodeck training-program program, taught by a holographic sensei?

That's right: apparently now they learn Aikido in Starfleet.

Last edited by LesbianSeagal; 9/01/2012 3:25pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by LesbianSeagal View Post
                      Only for a lesbian...

P.S. I'm sure you all saw the Star Trek next generation ep. "Code of Honor" with the "Aikido 1" holodeck training-program program, taught by a holographic sensei?

Pfft! Never saw that one! I will have to look that up. There is the occasional aikido technique and/or reference in the USA show Burn Notice, as the main actor trains in aikido, as well as BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by LesbianSeagal View Post
                        Only for a lesbian...

No. But I do remember the Klingon Tai Chi (which I found to be an extremely unlikely candidate as a model for a Klingon Martial Art) and the blind pugil stick martial art Riker practiced. This is on topic because both instances did affect my suspension of disbelief in a way similar to the OP encountering such highly effective Aikido in the Dresden Files.

Comment

Nerds...

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
                            Nerds...

Comment

the blind pugil stick martial art Riker practiced.
                              anbo-jitsu!

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                                *looks at avatar*
                                Oh sure, the Space Wolves can keep wolves as pets, draw wolves on EVERYTHING, and even ride them into battle, but you try the same thing with pastel colored pony and everyone's all "It's heresy!" or "You're a xeno lover!"

Originally posted by Styygens
                                It seems I have started a Trollshido Heresy. The Legions are taking sides and amassing across the Galaxy in their great battleships capable of transversing the Immaterium.
                                Fool. The logistical genius of Roboute Guilliman guides us, and we are invincible. By the simple manipulation of the variouis requisition forms and organizational paperwork, our armies swell with recruits and allies the likes of which would burn your feeble sanity like a moth in a flame.
                                You had the chance to join us, my friend, but instead you have chosen the path of suffering.
                                DEATH TO THE FALSE MODERATORS! LET THE SUB FORUMS BURN!

Your move, brother.

Vince Tortelli
                                Primarch of the Legio Astartes XI, The Rainbow Equines
                                Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 9/04/2012 5:59pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X