"Punch On"- a duelling based martial art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Punch On"- a duelling based martial art

This is a response to the spate of books on things like Sicilian Knife Fighting, Gypsy Knife Fighting, Viking Weaponry etc that have no basis through interviewing actual people or talking to hoplologists (and usually have a foreword by ninjitsu practitioners, see examples later) and particularly the "Trombo" debacle.

- I was reminded of the great and proud Australian tradition of "punching on" back in the days when I used to drink alcohol. :qswim: I had a beer or three one evening and this made my treacherous legs limber enough that I was rushing around doing RNC's, head stomping, headbutting moves etc in the air. A man grabbed me and said "enough of this Japanese shit"(?!) and I squared off in a friendly manner with another man. Our fists were by the sides of our faces and we took crosses and jabs at each other. This indeed demonstrates the basics of "Pan Chawn"

History

The history of punching on is vague, but Jimmy Boyle describes Scottish "square go" fighting in his book A Sense of Freedom as including "fists feet and head". It shares an obvious relationship with Queensbury rule boxing in that only the fists may be used and the footwork is very similar to such boxing. A referee decides when one combatant has had enough and intervenes when the man can no longer stand.

Typical punches include hooks crosses and jabs as the head is the primary target, but punches to the stomach so as to strike the solar plexus are not unknown. Feinting a "sucker punch" to one part of the anatomy to strike the opponent with the other fist on an unguarded part of his anatomy is a common trick . A good practitioner of "Pan Chawn" has his fists securely by his cheeks and clenched hard.

The footwork is the "triangular" pattern seen by sport boxers.

Application

As a duelling art, it minimises injury and helps people get aggression out of their systems.
    A practitioner of this art can also flatten a persecutor in as little as one punch if he is well trained.

Training regimen

Apart from sparring with mates, using a punching bag is highly recommended (I personally find pads not to my liking). A humanoid dummy from a martial arts shop is good too. Labourers gain a lot of the strength needed from their daily work

Typical practitioners

Typical practitioners of this art can vary widely, from office workers and intellectuals to
    labourers to bikies and others. I even had the privilege of seeing two men in wheelchairs - one with a rare degenerative condition who did heaps of bagwork and another who was partially paralysed but did only weights- engage in a fistfighting battle at a gym. The man who did the bag work came out on top.

The necessity of "exterior elements"

The "Fuck Off" weapon.

Due to Australian weapon laws, ones "Fuck Off" weapons must be chosen very carefully. All sorts of things can be kept in one's house but not taken out in public. It is wise to cut a stick of Australian hardwood and use the "hit annoying thing then repeat" should be used method is good as sticks are not covered by our Weapons Act.

Other Moves

A typical practitioner of "Pan Chawn" knows basic elements to the art

1. Punching
    2. Slapping faces
    3. Tackling
    4. Restraining by grabbing opponent's wrists and pushing them against their chests or the ground
    5. Gaining the dominant position to punch opponent repeatedly

Footage of "Pan Chawn"

Footage of this art is VERY rare and I myself have only found two examples, both starring Barry Mackenzie. See "Barry Mackenzie Holds His Own" and the prequel. (Trivia: he is Dame Edna's "nephew"

Jimmy boyle was a scumbag. His son was a cunt. Anyone who believes his pish is also a cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Christensen

- I was reminded of the great and proud Australian tradition of "punching on" back in the days when I used to drink alcohol. :qswim: I had a beer or three one evening and this made my treacherous legs limber enough that I was rushing around doing RNC's, head stomping, headbutting moves etc in the air. A man grabbed me and said "enough of this Japanese shit"(?!) and I squared off in a friendly manner with another man. Our fists were by the sides of our faces and we took crosses and jabs at each other. This indeed demonstrates the basics of "Pan Chawn"

I call Bullshit!

:bsflag::bssign: :bsflag:
      If you can't laugh at yourself,
      Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Comment

...:wtfgif9fr

Comment

Originally posted by FickleFingerOfFate
          I call Bullshit!

:bsflag::bssign: :bsflag:

Yes, but you claim to know all sorts of things about my life, making you the bullshit artist (claims about events in my life, claiming that my twin is ten years older than me (how may I ask is that biologically possible?) and you boast about how much money you earn: subtle hint, I don't fucking care.

So get fucked, you flaccid run-of-the-mill sack of shit

(Ignore)
          Last edited by Toby Christensen; 5/01/2008 4:42pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by adouglasmhor
            Jimmy boyle was a scumbag. His son was a cunt. Anyone who believes his pish is also a cunt.
            Jimmy Boyle was a cunt out of NECESSITY. You are a cunt out of relative free choice; I assume your life wasn't as underprivileged and violent as Boyle's.

P.S. "was" is the wrong tense. When I last checked, he is still alive and has turned to art.

Comment

Comment

Ulysses,

I wrote this to show how anyone can write on a "martial art" with the difference being that I actually know something of this tradition AND the foreword isn't inappropriately written by a ninja: the books on Rumi Maki and Gypsy Knife Fighting (the latter of which has some evidence to support it currently) ARE written by people with ninjitsu ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulysses Everett McGill
                  WHAT HE SAID. THIS IS FUCKING STUPID.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Christensen
                    Ulysses,

I wrote this to show how anyone can write on a "martial art" with the difference being that I actually know something of this tradition AND the foreword isn't inappropriately written by a ninja: the books on Rumi Maki and Gypsy Knife Fighting (the latter of which has some evidence to support it currently) ARE written by people with ninjitsu ranks.
                    And.... Do I give a fuck ?

NO.

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no

Comment

Originally posted by Ulysses Everett McGill
                        And.... Do I give a fuck ?

NO.
                        Now now, I was only poking fun at the publishing mills AND it again displayed FFF's egotism and ignorance. It's not a total loss.

Have a tranquiliser and a lie down and see me in a month.

Comment

ZZzzzzzzz.......

Comment

Oh shit, first FFF has narcissism, then then Ulysses has missed the point of the article, now E-Van has narcolepsy.

Comment

I see you've spent the last 2 months with some positive results from shock therapy and meds.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X