Canadian Law and MMA in Ontario -- or the lackthereof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Law and MMA in Ontario -- or the lackthereof

NOTE - I'm bad at finding the right forum to put things like this in, but since this is general discussion for MA, I'm hoping it'll be fine to put this little speal here.

Alright, so I'm an aspiring law student (maybe) and for my final report for Grade 12 Law, I decided to write about the legalization of MMA in Ontario.

That was a couple months ago. Upon doing some research, I've come to realize that I feel rather strongly about the issue... and that I'd perhaps like to take this case up further than just handing it in as a report.

So without further adieu, I'd like to summarize some of my arguments, while realizing that I'm quite certain that they need polishing. I'd also like to know what kind of procedures would be involved in this stuff really getting attention.

The Law in Question from Criminal Code
    Section
    83(1) Engaging in prize fight 83. (1) Every one who (a) engages as a principal in a prize fight, (b) advises, encourages or promotes a prize fight, or (c) is present at a prize fight as an aid, second, surgeon, umpire, backer or reporter, is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction. 83(2) Definition of "prize fight" (2) In this section, "prize fight" means an encounter or fight with fists or hands between two persons who have met for that purpose by previous arrangement made by or for them, but a boxing contest between amateur sportsmen, where the contestants wear boxing gloves of not less than one hundred and forty grams each in mass, or any boxing contest held with the permission or under the authority of an athletic board or commission or similar body established by or under the authority of the legislature of a province for the control of sport within the province, shall be deemed not to be a prize fight.

Main Idea
    Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) events are not allowed in Ontario, despite it being allowed in other parts of Canada such as Quebec, Alberta, Halifax, and Prince George of British Columbia. Why is this?

First Argument

Second Argument (Maybe)

Third Argument
    Special Opposing Argument (NOTE: I might use this instead of Argument 2, but I would probably flip the order around)
    NOT ARBITRARY!!!!!!!!

And yeah, this is pretty much the rough outline for the report I was going to write in the first place. I'm willing to polish this up and really make it more... professional, but I wanted to show everyone my general ideas first. And yeah, I'm no professional or anything, but I'm hoping that at least some of these reasons have merit. THANK YOU FOR READING THIS! It is definitely quite verbose. But really, I would like to see some change, and I'm sure all the other Ontarionians would love to see some change too, what with the arbitrariness of this scenario at present.

Seek the one called Showdown Joe.
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Showdown Joe? Who is this man/woman, and where might I locate this Showdown Joe?

Comment

http://www.showdown.ca/modules.php?n...article&sid=41

Joe Ferraro has been one of the leaders of the movement to legalize MMA in Ontario. Everyone's been trying to get it done for years but certain government officials are making either unprecedented or impossible demands.
        Originally posted by The Wastrel
        I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Its spiel not speal dumbass.

Why should i read the rest of your shitty thread if you fucked up in the first sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by spartan6

Why should i read the rest of your shitty thread if you fucked up in the first sentence.
            Because you're an idiot who could probably stand to learn something in your fucking life time, so as not to be a complete waste of goddamn skin.

Comment

Originally posted by spartan6

STFU.

Anyway, nice post to the OP. Very well thought out.

Comment

Good arguments, OP.

Best of luck convincing Dolton McSquinty and his administrative minions.

Comment

Well, I couldn't find contact info for Showdown Joe directly, so I posted a comment in his latest article on his blog concerning MMA in Ontario asking him for his contact info.

Before that though, to all the people who read this... Are you noting any major inconsistencies or problems that I should brush up before I send my outline to him? I'm very glad you all read this lengthy post of mine, and it would help a lot if you guys had any suggestions to make my arguments stronger, more coherent, flowing, or anything like that.

As usual, thank you all in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm just a high school student after all. <_<;

Comment

Click this link

Contact these people

http://www.marcoantico.com/about.html

Comment

Sent the email to [email protected]. Do you guys want to take a gander? It was just a little write-up dealing with my interest in providing any assistance I could to their cause.

Comment

Well, I was talking with Marco Antico and I think he liked what I had to say, so he's going to be posting the arguments I laid out here in an article on canadianmma. =D Thank you to all the people that supported me! I feel great for finally doing SOMETHING, even if it's not anything too earth-shaking.

Comment

Grats.
                          Er.... Fight the power?

Comment

Here's the latest backlash from the Rumble on the Rez event held recently in Ontario
                            Ontario natives holding mixed martial arts fights, charges laid - No BS Martial Arts
                            Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

I don't believe in canada.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
                              http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Originally posted by Cy Q. Faunce
                              3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Originally posted by sochin101
                              I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
                              That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
                              Originally posted by HappyOldGuy
                              I agree with moosey

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X