Multiple Opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Opponents

A lot of criticism from non-grapplers regarding multiple opponents is that in a situation with more than one attackers, if you grapple with someone you are likely to get your head stomped in. Given that it is not a situation you want to be in anyway, what are peoples thoughts on this? I asked my BJJ instructor who is a black belt (yet has trained in MMA, JJJ and some striking arts) and also works as a bouncer the same question and he said if he was faced with multiple opponents he would standing grapple with one and keep them in between himself and the others until he could effectively disable them, then move onto the next, and that if you were to do a Bruce Lee and one hit KO all of them, you'd need to be an extraordinary fighter. So if you were in a multiple opponent scenario, and not in a position to run away, do you agree with this statement, or do you think striking arts are more effective for dealing with more than one attacker?

Step 1. Acquaint self with search button in upper right hand corner.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/search.php?s=

Step 2. Multiple Opponents in keyword search field.

Step 3. Click Search button

Step 4. Read threads
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/sear...archid=2171809

Step 5. Go finger a badger.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 4/21/2008 6:04pm, .
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

Forgive me, I realise it had been discussed before, but I'm more interested in relation to grappling while standing, as opposed to pulling someone into your guard in a pub. I think everyone agrees there it is dangerous to be on the ground in a multiple opponent situation. But what about standing grappling versus striking?

Comment

Originally posted by TimG1990
        A lot of criticism from non-grapplers regarding multiple opponents is that in a situation with more than one attackers, if you grapple with someone you are likely to get your head stomped in. Given that it is not a situation you want to be in anyway, what are peoples thoughts on this? I asked my BJJ instructor who is a black belt (yet has trained in MMA, JJJ and some striking arts) and also works as a bouncer the same question and he said if he was faced with multiple opponents he would standing grapple with one and keep them in between himself and the others until he could effectively disable them, then move onto the next, and that if you were to do a Bruce Lee and one hit KO all of them, you'd need to be an extraordinary fighter. So if you were in a multiple opponent scenario, and not in a position to run away, do you agree with this statement, or do you think striking arts are more effective for dealing with more than one attacker?

I've essentially done what your instructor has done but have switched off as the fight went on.

Comment

What do you mean "switched off as the fight went on"?

Comment

I have no credibility and what I'm about to say just comes from middle school schoolyard fights. It was rule of thumb to find the littlist guy and beat the living bejeezus out of him. Most of the times juvenile kids aren't 100% serious about ganging up on someone, and when you take the initiative to destroy the weakest guy, they hesistate or back up. Time to run.

I think another rule of thumb is as mentioned above, use whatever means to keep one guy between you and the rest of the guys.

I have no idea how this applies in real life adult situations.
            www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
            Parts and Accessories
            Law Enforcement Firearms

Comment

The only video so far posted on Bullshido of people succesfully handling multiple opponents involve people who'd trained boxing staying on their feet and keeping moving. I'm sure Omega's telling the truth though.
              !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

Switch off, as I use one person against another I'll grab another person so the first one doesn't gain any composer. Oh and dwkfym, that's only partially true.

Comment

Is it more effective than training striking for this situation though?

Comment

Striking is your friend in multiple person, grappling is your friend in single.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega the Merciless
                      Striking is your friend in multiple person, grappling is your friend in single.
                      Omega is god, simply because he tells me what I want to hear.

Comment

If you must be unarmed against multiple opponents, then the strategy outlined above is good. I would add that the environment is quite important and can be used against them as well. I also suggest all of you to check out the Kuai Shuai (Quick Take-down) techniques of Sanda for some great stand-up grappling.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega the Merciless
                          Oh and dwkfym, that's only partially true.
                          I read the thread where you outlined the fights you had outside the gym/ring/cage. Obviously what I said isn't always true.. but you are the one with the immense amount of experience in this (and most other) department. Would you care to break it down in a bit more detail in what situation that IS true, and what situations is not, and what we should do?

As for me, in my mind it is pretty simple, but I think some real life insight would be badass. If I am going to fight I am going to try and gain whatever geographical/environmental advantage I can get, make sure I can book the heck out of there, pick up weapon, etc. but otherwise, boogie boogie on out.
                          www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
                          Parts and Accessories
                          Law Enforcement Firearms

Comment

When I've sparred against multiple opponents, I've used a similar strategy to what your coach recomended. Clinch one, and work strikes/throws/standing chokes while keeping him between him and the others.
                            However, I feel like developing some jaw-crushing godhands, like that Turkish gentleman in the aforementioned video, would be the best strategy for trying to effectively take out multipe attackers. Particularly if you practice using your footwork to keep your opponents in a line and stop them from encircling you.
                            The fool thinks himself immortal,
                            If he hold back from battle;
                            But old age will grant him no truce,
                            Even if spears spare him.

Comment

I seem to recall the Gracies saying something about multiple opponents...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X