No announcement yet.

"I'll never be in that situation........"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man. This is what I want to see. Somone with years of fight training doing a full contact 'LARP' with any dojo that has a mentality of.. 'I woont let them take me to the ground because...' and record the damn thing. The fact that some martial artists still have the ' I will not go to the ground because.. ' mentality is beyond me.

Comment

So, is it fair to say that, grappling is a vital skill in any fight context and that on th3 str33t, with the possibility of multiple opponents and getting your brand new jeans scuffed. It would be best not to go to the ground.

Control the fight, as Lu-Tse suggests....?

Comment

Vital skill.. not the end all.. learn to controll the fight from any position, and god damn it get your scrawney ass's to a gym and lift weights.

Comment

Originally posted by JingMerchant!
          So, is it fair to say that, grappling is a vital skill in any fight context and that on th3 str33t, with the possibility of multiple opponents and getting your brand new jeans scuffed. It would be best not to go to the ground.

Control the fight, as Lu-Tse suggests....?
          So grapple, throw them, and don't go to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Bustardo
            So grapple, throw them, and don't go to the ground.
            Yeah.....
            In a nutshell.

Has this thread been won yet?

Comment

jkd could not degrade into a tma because in order for that it would have to be a martial art in the first place.

jkd is a mentality and mindset to basically "use whatever works for you".

even in the tao of jeet kun do didn't bruce lee write that if jkd is ever considered a "style" let it die?

I'm not saying its not legit stuff- most schools that teach under the banner of jkd teach the equivalent of kickboxing with stuff thrown in- not outlandish untested crap.

I would think that these guys just need your friend to show em the truth. Not to crap on your friend, but thats his job as thier teacher.

Comment

Im tired of hearing how 'jkd' is a mindset, a mentality of 'use what works'. So is every cage fight actualy a 'jkd' mindset/mentality match?

Comment

Originally posted by E-Van
                  Im tired of hearing how 'jkd' is a mindset, a mentality of 'use what works'. So is every cage fight actualy a 'jkd' mindset/mentality match?
                  Well.... no, mainly because you won't see knives and sticks getting pulled in a cage fight.

I've been taught stuff that doesn't get used in the cage, such as destruction of limb techniques, (Pan o' toucan, not correct spelling, it's called in Kali i believe) trapping etc.
                  Last edited by JingMerchant!; 4/12/2008 3:42pm, .

Comment

Only in the sense that you can use what works within that environment

Comment

learn to controll the fight from any position, and god damn it get your scrawney ass's to a gym and lift weights.
                      You do realise that pretty much sums up what Bruce was saying? You are a JKD'er and didn't even know it!

Have a celebratory "WATAAAHHH" on me

Comment

Originally posted by JingMerchant!
                        Yeah.....
                        In a nutshell.

Has this thread been won yet?
                        I don't know, AM I THE WINNAR PLZ THX?

Comment

Originally posted by Hanniballistic
                          You do realise that pretty much sums up what Bruce was saying? You are a JKD'er and didn't even know it!

Have a celebratory "WATAAAHHH" on me

actualy if you look at my earlier posts on my threads I was just reiterating what I already eluded too. Bruce Lee wasnt a god at martial arts like everyone wants to make him out to be. What Bruce WAS was a god of physical fitnes. Instead of all you nut huggers quoting versus of the Toa of Jeet Kun Do what you should be reading is the Toa of hitting a gym.

Comment

I don't know how it works over the water, but round here a toa is someone you call when your car breaks down.

Comment

Instead of all you nut huggers quoting versus of the Toa of Jeet Kun Do what you should be reading is the Toa of hitting a gym.

I don't really see any nut-huggers in the thread. Also, a person can have a life outside of the gym with time enough to read, eat, sleep and have fun.

Comment

actualy if you look at my earlier posts on my threads I was just reiterating what I already eluded too. Bruce Lee wasnt a god at martial arts like everyone wants to make him out to be. What Bruce WAS was a god of physical fitnes. Instead of all you nut huggers quoting versus of the Toa of Jeet Kun Do what you should be reading is the Toa of hitting a gym.
                                Already do that far more than most people do so I figure I can carry on quoting and tell you to relax and grow a sense of fucking humour

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(just for you Aardvarks! :wrestlerf )
                                Last edited by Hanniballistic; 4/09/2008 5:00pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X