No announcement yet.

"I'll never be in that situation........"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can dictate how a fight will go to some extent. If you're hitting him, he probably isn't hitting you. If you've got his head tipped back, balance broken and a thumb in his eye socket, he probably isn't hitting you. If you're choking him unconscious, he probably isn't hitting you.....

Comment

Only if you're the better fighter at that moment.

Comment

I think Ken's point is, that these guys automatically think they'll be the ones doing the dictating, they don't realise it can swing both ways (which a quick sparring session will surely teach you, even if it does have rules).

Comment

Yea, they think that they can dictate how the fight will go. The "rules" of MMA , in their minds, favors grapplers. In "the street" they can simply poke the eye and kick the groin to stop any clinching or takedowns.
          To a certain extent, the MMA rules do favor grapplers. If I got into a fight with someone in a bar, I would be very hesitant about going to ground with him- His buddy might decide to come over and stomp me. Thats not a concern at all in MMA matches (or any sort of competitive sparring)

Comment

How many times does it have to be said, THERE'S MORE TO FUCKING GRAPPLING THAN GROUNDWORK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lu Tze
              How many times does it have to be said, THERE'S MORE TO FUCKING GRAPPLING THAN GROUNDWORK.
              And there is more to striking than punches, but if you used rules that didnt allow punches, strikers would be disadvantaged.

Its like saying that the Navy has more than just boats, but I wouldnt use the navy for fighting on land.

Comment

Controlling your opponent's body using a standing clinch severely restricts their options and can be used to dominate a fight WITHOUT EVER GOING TO THE GROUND... if you're a better grappler that is.

Groundwork is not all there is to grappling, groundwork is just a subset of grappling. Stop being fucking dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Telum
                  To a certain extent, the MMA rules do favor grapplers. If I got into a fight with someone in a bar, I would be very hesitant about going to ground with him-
                  Again, here is that LARP mentality. "If I was in a street fight, I wouldn't go to the ground because....." Problem is, you may have no choice. Better to know what to do when you're there than to simply ignore the fact that fights do end up on the ground regardless of intent.

Comment

And there is more to striking than punches, but if you used rules that didnt allow punches, strikers would be disadvantaged.

Its like saying that the Navy has more than just boats, but I wouldnt use the navy for fighting on land.
                    No, it's like saying, my country doesn't need a navy because we have an army and we just won't fight on the ocean. Well, my friend, say goodbye to your shipping and coastal cities.

Comment

Originally posted by aardvarks
                      So it sounds like a typical day with a typical Phoenician
                      Are we renowned for being geeky dweebs? I had no idea.

Comment

I've run into a few of these before -- they tend to think they are a step above most simply because they are mixing things instead of sticking to one style. Of course, as has been said before, they're just dabbingly half-assedly, rather than becoming skilled at anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaiboxerken
                          Again, here is that LARP mentality. "If I was in a street fight, I wouldn't go to the ground because....." Problem is, you may have no choice. Better to know what to do when you're there than to simply ignore the fact that fights do end up on the ground regardless of intent.
                          I didnt say its impossible for a fight to end up on the ground. I said I would rather the fight not go to ground because being on the ground is a great way to get kicked by others. In fact, if it were me and a bunch of my friends against one guy, instead of the other way around, I would happily take the fight to the ground.

Comment

I didnt say its impossible for a fight to end up on the ground. I said I would rather the fight not go to ground because being on the ground is a great way to get kicked by others. In fact, if it were me and a bunch of my friends against one guy, instead of the other way around, I would happily take the fight to the ground.
                            Wrong way round, real life favours grappling. On padded mats made specifically to allow people to be thrown and not injure themselves with proper breakfall training a good takedown or throw will knock the wind out of you. On concrete that thow could knock you the fuck out.
                            Also, the rules of MMA restrict grapplers. On the streets, once a grappler has thrown someone they can simply stand straigt up and stamp on the persons face.

Comment

But that's not grappling you silly boy... It's only grappling if you pull guard!

Comment

Originally posted by kultist
                                Wrong way round, real life favours grappling. On padded mats made specifically to allow people to be thrown and not injure themselves with proper breakfall training a good takedown or throw will knock the wind out of you. On concrete that thow could knock you the fuck out.
                                Also, the rules of MMA restrict grapplers. On the streets, once a grappler has thrown someone they can simply stand straigt up and stamp on the persons face.
                                People standing in groups are kryptonite to grapplers it automatically means multiple opponents.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X