Movin' to Tejas(not sure where to post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movin' to Tejas(not sure where to post)

Aight bullshidokas, i've made up my mind and common sense to leave the wonderful bay area for the wild west of Texas. I'm going to Plano which sounds like a nice obscure place (no it's not but it reminds me a bit of where i'm from) so i need some advice on good locations to train.i guess the best idea where i will be at will be the Hertiage park and down the road from the Stonebriar center. A main reason for moving is that i want to dedicate more time to train and possibly follow in the footsteps of one of my best friends who's doing some amatuer fighting in KY. any suggestions?
    Last edited by akuma25; 3/07/2008 1:14am, .

Three good Plano schools are Siam Star Muay Thai, North Dallas BJJ, and Saekson Janjira Muay Thai. I just started training at Siam Star, which shares space with North Dallas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It's kind of a small school, but the training is good and everyone is very friendly. My MT instructor, Tomer Litvin, has a purple belt under the BJJ coach, J.D. Shelley, who himself receives instruction from Mr. Litvin; they both get together to teach an MMA class once a week (although I hope they eventually make it 2-3 times a week). Mr. Litvin is a Fairtex Certified Instructor & former amateur fighter, and Mr. Shelley is a black belt under Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti.

Info for both: http://www.ndbjj.com/index_home_page.htm

You also can't go wrong with Saekson Janjira's MT school, which is also in Plano. For pure Muay Thai, Janjira's school is arguably one of the best in the state.

http://www.saekson.com/home.htm

You could also try Guy Mezger's MMA school in Addison, although it's a bit of a commute from Plano (about 30 minutes).

http://guymezger.com/
    Last edited by Kid Miracleman; 3/07/2008 3:11am, .

Comment

I grew up in Plano (yah I'm a long ways from home), my parents live within walking distance of Stonebriar (man that area keeps growing, everytime I go back its got more stores). Good place to go, the Dallas Metroplex suburbs are booming right now, safe place to raise kids.

Aside from the schools Kid Miracleman mentioned, there's Carlos Machado's school, but it's a bit of a trek from Plano/Frisco border:
      http://www.carlosmachado.net/

There's a bb under Machado on Harry Hines (near UTSW):
      http://dfwjiujitsu.com/dfwjj/index.html

Your best bet is probably NDBJJ, it's closest to your area.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalRage
        I grew up in Plano (yah I'm a long ways from home), my parents live within walking distance of Stonebriar (man that area keeps growing, everytime I go back its got more stores). Good place to go, the Dallas Metroplex suburbs are booming right now, safe place to raise kids.

Aside from the schools Kid Miracleman mentioned, there's Carlos Machado's school, but it's a bit of a trek from Plano/Frisco border:
        http://www.carlosmachado.net/

There's a bb under Machado on Harry Hines (near UTSW):
        http://dfwjiujitsu.com/dfwjj/index.html

Your best bet is probably NDBJJ, it's closest to your area.
        no kidding man, it seems like the only place in the US where i can afford a house that isnt next to a crack house. NDBJJ sounds good to me. any idea on pricing? i plan on both the MT and BJJ. also any good judo schools around?

Comment

Also check out Star Jiujitsu (www.starbjj.com/). Yousef Alirezaei is one of Carlos Machado's BB and a world class wrestler/Sambo-ist. His school is off 191 and Josey in Carrollton. I've trained there once or twice when I've missed Judo practice (SMU Judo Club, probably too far south in Dallas for you). They also offer Muay Thai and some chinese boxing (San Soo? Not sure what it is). Also wrestling classes.

Comment

You live in a badass area dude.
            Right by frisco right? I work in that area.

So many good schools in that area. (http://txmma.com) for a full list.

and if you are planning to fight amateur or professional.. dallas fight nights and Hdnet Fights are both great events/venues.

In your area.. i'll echo Saekson Janjira and Siam Star for striking. I've heard varying things about saeksons BJJ stuff but I don't know anything good or bad about it personally.

as for BJJ. i'll echo machado's, mezger and also throw in Felipe/panamsilver's place (Dallasjujitsu)

Comment

As far as pricing goes, I contacted Saekson Janjira's school directly, and they informed me that they have the following price plans:
              I believe the "uniform" is simply a pair of Muay Thai shorts and a t-shirt with the school logo. You also need a steel cup as well as training gloves, headgear, etc. I'm sure they have community gloves and other gear, but using community equipment every class isn't exactly the best option. Also, I wasn't aware that Janjira's had any sort of BJJ program (they don't have any info on their site). I know they used to share mat space with a club called "Pirate BJJ," which was headed by a guy named Dave Snead, but as far as I know they don't operate anymore.

Siam Star is $99 a month for twelve months, same with NDBJJ; they have other plans, but I don't know what the pricing structure is for those. They also offer a discount if you sign up for both MT and BJJ, but I don't know the exact savings amount. Siam Star has community gear and NDBJJ offers loaner gis, and they also sell equipment (not a lot, though).

I would recommend e-mailing or calling the schools directly for more detailed info.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Miracleman
                As far as pricing goes, I contacted Saekson Janjira's school directly, and they informed me that they have the following price plans:
                I believe the "uniform" is simply a pair of Muay Thai shorts and a t-shirt with the school logo. You also need a steel cup as well as training gloves, headgear, etc. I'm sure they have community gloves and other gear, but using community equipment every class isn't exactly the best option. Also, I wasn't aware that Janjira's had any sort of BJJ program (they don't have any info on their site). I know they used to share mat space with a club called "Pirate BJJ," which was headed by a guy named Dave Snead, but as far as I know they don't operate anymore.

Siam Star is $99 a month for twelve months, same with NDBJJ; they have other plans, but I don't know what the pricing structure is for those. They also offer a discount if you sign up for both MT and BJJ, but I don't know the exact savings amount. Siam Star has community gear and NDBJJ offers loaner gis, and they also sell equipment (not a lot, though).

I would recommend e-mailing or calling the schools directly for more detailed info.
                ok the website has changed since i last saw it... last time i saw it they were advertising a BJJ program. I guess they aren't any longer.

Comment

Incidentally, there's a store called "The Fight Foundry" at the Collin Creek Mall in Plano that sells MMA/BJJ/MT gear that you might want to check out. Their prices are a bit high, but you can try on gloves and gis and such and buy grappling/GNP dummies, as well as the usual assortment of MMA apparel (TapOut, Affliction, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by akuma25
                    one of my best friends who's doing some amatuer fighting in KY.
                    Where's your friend fighting out of?
                    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

wow!! there's quite a derth of schools around!! when i go down next month i'll visit some of these schools. i'm not moving till may but i wanted to get some opinions and suggestions before i get down there.

Originally posted by Cassius
                      Where's your friend fighting out of?
                      he's fighting out of Hopkinsville.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X