Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Kids Muay Thai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids Muay Thai

OK guys, just need a little advice on this one. A Muay Thai class has started just down the road from me, which I have just started going to (I have previous MT experience, but find it hard to find a good club as I move round with work)

The class is only run once a week, and as my wife's work coincides with it, I will have to take my daughter along.

She has expressed an interest in training-we regularly wrestle and playfight, and have since she could walk. She also does a lot of gymnastics.

Anyway, to my question. Presuming the instructor says it is OK for her to join in(she will be the only child there), is she too young to train Muay Thai?

She is 7

Originally posted by leec123
    OK guys, just need a little advice on this one. A Muay Thai class has started just down the road from me, which I have just started going to (I have previous MT experience, but find it hard to find a good club as I move round with work)

The class is only run once a week, and as my wife's work coincides with it, I will have to take my daughter along.

She has expressed an interest in training-we regularly wrestle and playfight, and have since she could walk. She also does a lot of gymnastics.

Anyway, to my question. Presuming the instructor says it is OK for her to join in(she will be the only child there), is she too young to train Muay Thai?

She is 7
    IMO, yes, 7 is too young for any sport that contains the risk of concussion. If she was just training (rather than sparring) and assuming that everyone at the gym was very careful with her, then maybe.
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR
      IMO, yes, 7 is too young for any sport that contains the risk of concussion. If she was just training (rather than sparring) and assuming that everyone at the gym was very careful with her, then maybe.
      As she would be the only child there i do not think she would be sparring. More than likely just fitness and some padwork. I still have to OK it with the instructor, otherwise she will be sat reading a book at the side. It would be a shame, as she really likes exercise and fitness and I have just seen a cool pair of pink Thai Boxing Shorts on Ebay haha, just need matching gloves so she doesnt hurt her hands on the pads

Comment

That civilisation may not sink,
        Its great battle lost,
        Quiet the dog, tether the pony
        To a distant post;
        Our master Caesar is in the tent
        Where the maps are spread,
        His eyes fixed upon nothing,
        A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Don't the Pro Muay Thai guys (the ones in Thailand) start when they are like 4 or 5? Or maybe that's just movie shit. I agree with the no sparring shit tho.

Comment

Originally posted by serious face
            Don't the Pro Muay Thai guys (the ones in Thailand) start when they are like 4 or 5? Or maybe that's just movie shit.
            They do, but a lot of them pay a pretty heavy price by the time they're, say, 30.
            Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

Thanks for that, something i hadnt thought of. I dont think they will be sparring for quite a while, it is a brand new class and i am the only one with any experience apart from the instructor. There area a couple of people there just for fitness so shouldnt be a problem. She is used to seeing me doing groundwork and stuff, just not stood up hitting people

Comment

My son is six and I kick him around (just kidding). I don't see anything wrong with practicing the forms (get the motions right) and shadow-box. See if she's OK with checking ... and maybe condition the thighs a little bit ... I don't think that's too risky (except the checking part, so don't kick hard :-)).

Comment

while i'm all for her learning to fight - i've seen a (very) modified rules muay thai match between two kids who couldn't see over the ring ropes, and trust me, ain't nobody gettin a concussion - i can't say i much care for the idea of bringing a seven year old to a serious, otherwise adult only class. things have to be setup right to include children properly, and if i were another student there, i probably wouldn't much appreciate someone bringing a kid to class.

Comment

I reckon go for it. As long as everyone there is sensible it should be all good

Comment

At the gym I train at I know a guy who brings his kids along sometimes and the owner of the gym spends some time with them and makes them run around the mat and hit pads and such... he makes it really fun for them and they're kind of cool to have around. They are just getting some exercise / fun out of it, so if it's something like that I wouldn't see the harm.

Comment

I think probably your instructor and maybe the other students is who you should talk to about this. I'm not entirely sure that any form of impact-type conditioning a good idea for a child, though- I'm of the impression that sort of thing can do damage to the kid's bonestructure. Or maybe that's just only weightlifting, but I'd still be careful about it if I were you. Hell, you might even talk to a doctor, if you've got the money and time.

Edit: Other students, as in, to make sure they're cool with having a child around. Some people are naturally dicks and will kick up a shitstorm if they think they're fighty time is being threatened.
                        Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
                        Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Comment

I don't have anything to add regarding the suitability of the activity to children - I think that's been covered. I am more concerned with the dymanics of bringing your daughter into the class, or even just to hang out.

Is this a club with an adult focus, or more family friendly?

You should try a class or two first without her there - some classes are more hardcore than others. If there is swearing, inapproriate language, insults, yelling - that sort of thing, it may not be a good choice. You will also have to get a feel for how the other students will respond - many folks go out to the gym to get away from the kiddies for a while, have a little adult time, and won't appreciate having wee ones to look out for. Also, the instructors generally gear their teaching to the abilities of the students, and you don't want the instructor feeling they have to go light because of the kid.

As for having her sit and read at the side, that totally depends on the child. We've run into two situations like this, where parents have brought their kids in for the kids class and then had them stay while the parent worked out. One little guy (about 9) sits in the lounge and does his homework, stays quiet and doesn't cause trouble. We actually had to suspend the membership for the other family - the dad would leave his 7 and 10 year old girls to run wild while he did jiu-jitsu for 90 minutes and expect our front desk staff to watch them. The girls would take paper out of the recycle bin, make crafts and leave a mess all over, they were loud and got in to fights, when their dad brought toys and videos to keep them busy, they ended up everwhere. It started to hurt our business - some 20-something guy walking in to check out your MMA club doesn't want to be greeted by a screaming 7 year old sitting in a mess of toys with The Little Mermaid blaring in the background. You know your kid best, you know if she can handle it, and it's up to you to make sure she's not a problem for the gym or the other students.

Sorry if I sound negative on the idea - as you can see, I've seen it not work so well.

Comment

Thanks Aerochick. I want to go sledging now afterseeing your Avatar.

The class is in its infancy, there are several ladies attending (one with her bf/hubby). The class is on a military base and it is quite chilled. I went last week and didnt here any bad language

My daughter currently does a 3 hour gymnastics class on a saturday, so she knows about how to behave in a training environment. I will be taking her tonight, but will have a couple of books and a nintendo thingy for her to play with handy if she cant join in.

If she can join in and she likes it, I am ordering the pink Thai Boxing shorts for her on payday.

Will let you know how it turns out

Lee

Comment

That civilisation may not sink,
                              Its great battle lost,
                              Quiet the dog, tether the pony
                              To a distant post;
                              Our master Caesar is in the tent
                              Where the maps are spread,
                              His eyes fixed upon nothing,
                              A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X