Fat instructors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lily
    I have to say though, Brandon, I used to be under the misconception that big guys moved slowly/didn't move well. Since I started training MA I realise how untrue that can be.
    There are a lot of big guys out there that don't move well, I know some of them, but I think anyone who trains hard and remains active can develope deccent levels of quickness and agility. Granted most people who train hard and stay active tend to get into shape, but of course diet and genetics play a factor too.

Comment

Originally posted by EmetShamash
      ...Ralph Severe is a fat racist bastard... with no skills.
      Video Proof

"Me kickfucking Rickson Gracie"

The funny bit is that Ralph would kick the shit out of most folks around here, despite the gut.
      "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
      ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
      ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
      ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Comment

It didn't sound to me like chris was criticizing the exception to the rule. The exellent MA who's gotten a little older, isn't training as aerobicly because of it and has put on the beer gut as a result. I think he's looking for something more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VSF49CSlt4

Comment

I don't think that was quite it. I think he was talking about fat unfit McDojo byproduct blobs that don't know anything but are still instructors because the belt factory lets them slip through.

That girl had to overcome her disabilities and actually do something that challenges her. She can't really be measured against the same stick as normal folks. On the other hand those McDojo blobs just paid enough and attended enough classes.
          Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Comment

In fairness to the Down Syndrome chick, everyone at that dojo appeared to suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Guardian
              What pisses me off is fat instructors. Now I'm not saying there aren't good instructors who are big and a little overwieght, but so many martial arts instructors are fat basterds. They honestly sicken me. How the hell are you supposed to tell someone to be healthy and get in shape when you are a fat fucktard. I have seen many instructors who actually have successful schools and they are fat and out of shape. They move like the fat basterds they are. They are teaching people how to defends themselves and helping them get in shape (WTF)
              I get pissed off every time I see a fat instructor. Lets use this thread to showcases some of these fat martial arts instructors.
              Originally posted by Chris Guardian
              Apparentley many poeple didn't read that in my post.
              I see a lot of poeple in the martial arts industry and many of them are fat and out of shape and it pisses me off. If a big guy is in shape awesome - I'm not knocking someone who has a gut. I train with guys who have a gut but it is rock hard and they are in shape. you don't have be ripped to be a good teacher, but you need a certain level of fitness to properly perform the techniques.
              Dude, you do Ke?po, a martial art that is *full* of fat instructors with mullets stuffed into black gis. If I had a nickel for every Ke?po demo I've seen with some tubby guy showing slappy-hand overly choreographed horse-doody I could pay my BJJ/Judo fees for years to come. Their real issue is not that they're fat, it's that they're doing Ke?po.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily
                275...omg. For your own health you should lose a little, do you have knee and back aches all the time?

The biggest I've gone up against is 240 and once he has me squashed under him (usually within 5 seconds) I'm a goner. My teacher will be screaming at me to shrimp but there is no way in hell I can move. For the first time in class a few weeks ago, I managed to hold him off for a good 1.5 minutes.
                Yeah, I probably should. However I have better cardio than most poeple that come in there. I don't have back aches or knee problems at all. Most people guess me weighing at about 240ish now. I'm relatively compact for my weight, but I still need to lose 30 ish pounds.

I'm not an instructor.

Comment

:5wolverin
                  Originally posted by Jim_Jude
                  I can't think of any situation where you WOULDN'T end up under her...
                  actually maybe not judging from the picture she doesn't know how to do a proper knife hand:5wolverin

Comment

Comment

First off, do you mean fat or do you mean paunchy. I don't remember a shooto instructor, I can't remember his name, who was a fucking whale. Then there was my best friend's uncle. The guy was an ex-TKD champ and instructor. He sprints, not runs, sprints 3 miles or rides a bike 10 miles every MWF. Is sold muscle, but he's pear shaped.

Originally posted by Horus
                      He does aikido. That doesn't count. You don't have to be in shape.
                      Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblackmagic

He does aikido. That doesn't count. You don't have to be in shape.
                        I know, but any excuse to post a picture of Steven Seagal looking like a tool

Comment

Damnedest thing. His music is pretty good.
                          Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

Originally posted by Liffguard
                            Depends. "Fat" is a pretty subjective term. I wouldn't care about an instructor being a bit overweight. Full-on obese though? I'd have a problem taking them seriously.

exactly, unless of course the art in question was sumo.

I think a person you find more than a bit overweight (and isn't old) should raise your red flag.

Comment

Originally posted by pittfrog
                              Blanket statements are stupid.
                              All generalizations are false.
                              Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Originally posted by Dilbert
                              "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Comment

Generally, all false generalizations are not true.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X