Fat instructors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lily
    The OP could have worded that better. However I'd still say that the 'amazingly fit fat guy' is the exception rather than the rule.

If you model yourself on your instructor to some extent, you might think its okay to be fat but not realise the damage it could be doing to your joints and the rest of your health. I don't expect my instructors to have six packs though. As long as they can see their feet from a standing position, that's good for me.
    As long as the instructors really know their shit, and they're not fat because of just being lazy, i can understand. But Phil Elmore style wannabes make my teeth hurt.
    (for the record, i'm still underweigh at 145)

Comment

Originally posted by Liffguard
      Depends. "Fat" is a pretty subjective term. I wouldn't care about an instructor being a bit overweight. Full-on obese though? I'd have a problem taking them seriously.
      Indeed.
      You can be fat and a good coach (e.g. boxing) but if you're out there working with your guys, it is going to be a problem.

Comment

DLDr - I take your point and its a valid one, we're going there to learn and be taught by someone who has already gone through it, done the hard yards etc. My instructor will be 60 in a few years and is a fit guy and still maintains a very healthy weight. It adds to his strong advice to us to keep fit, keep our weight in check etc.

Bluto - I agree with what you say.

I've only encountered one instructor so far who has been fat and his students were just shitty. No conditioning, no importance placed on fitness, they weren't fat but he just didn't push them. The instructor is a good 2 decades younger than mine and as nice a guy as he is, he's just lazy and can't run 3 laps of the mat without going red and stepping off to 'retie' his belt.

Comment

One of, if not the single best martial arts instructor I've ever met is clinically obese. Not his fault; he suffered a permanent nerve injury in his leg when he was younger and has difficulty walking up stairs, so jogging and heavy cardio-vascular training simply are not options. That said, the man is a highly experienced, charismatic and capable instructor and his strength, sensitivity and co-ordination skills are off the charts.

I once heard that a younger, fitter instructor in the same style had claimed that this guy "couldn't be called a martial artist" because of his weight. Note that, as far as I know, the younger guy had never met the heavyweight, crossed hands with him or even seen him teach a class; he just wasn't able to believe that a fat man could fight. His loss, really; if he'd been a bit more open-minded he could have learned a lot from the big guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Liffguard
            Depends. "Fat" is a pretty subjective term. I wouldn't care about an instructor being a bit overweight. Full-on obese though? I'd have a problem taking them seriously.
            You mean like the kinds that hide an arsenal of aluminum trainers in their rolls or sweaty dew flaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Guardian
              "GET IN MAH BELLY!!!" I'm gonna steal this picture. Don't know when I'll use it, but it's great! You know, if that guy could do pushups like Charles Bronson, I'd be scared. Big guys that are also strong and can move are scary. My dad knows a federale Isidro, dude has a big pot belly but fights Muay Thai, kicks trees during his sub 7-min 4mile runs, and packs like Dirty Harry. Straight scary motherfucker.

Overweight is one thing, morbid obesity is something completely different.
              Last edited by Jim_Jude; 2/26/2008 5:13pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR
                One of, if not the single best martial arts instructor I've ever met is clinically obese. Not his fault; he suffered a permanent nerve injury in his leg when he was younger and has difficulty walking up stairs, so jogging and heavy cardio-vascular training simply are not options.
                Did his nerve injury require stuffing twinkies into his gash?

Comment

Now I'm not saying there aren't good instructors who are big and a little overwieght
                  Apparentley many poeple didn't read that in my post.
                  I see a lot of poeple in the martial arts industry and many of them are fat and out of shape and it pisses me off. If a big guy is in shape awesome - I'm not knocking someone who has a gut. I train with guys who have a gut but it is rock hard and they are in shape. you don't have be ripped to be a good teacher, but you need a certain level of fitness to properly perform the techniques.

Comment

I believe we were promised more photos of fat martial arts instructors.

Comment

Would you learn under her?

Comment

Originally posted by Lily
                        Would you learn under her?

I can't think of any situation where you WOULDN'T end up under her...

Comment

Apparentley many poeple didn't read that in my post.
                          I see a lot of poeple in the martial arts industry and many of them are fat and out of shape and it pisses me off. If a big guy is in shape awesome - I'm not knocking someone who has a gut. I train with guys who have a gut but it is rock hard and they are in shape. you don't have be ripped to be a good teacher, but you need a certain level of fitness to properly perform the techniques.

Would you train under this man?

Comment

One of my former instructors had a beer belly, but that's only because he was freakin' awesome.

Comment

I've had fat instructors before. They have a great side mount, when big people know their shit, be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by pittfrog
                                Blanket statements are stupid.
                                isn't this a blanket statement about blanket statements, making it by extension, stupid?

:5eek: or did I just blow your mind? :5eek:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X