Fight Quest: BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight Quest: BJJ

Ho..ly... shit. I just saw the preview for this episode on discovery and I'm still cleaning the cream out of my pants. Most likely it's due to the fact that I've been drinking but the whole episode looks like it takes place in Rio... Awesome. I'm sure I'll have more to comment on later.
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

oooooo im almost excited

Comment

I was just about to look for a Fight Quest BJJ thread. I think its next friday at 10pm eastern. I think its going to be pretty ill, I wonder of they are going to pull out some Gracies or Machados. I half want to watch it just to see the city of Rio. My uncle lived 45 mins from Rio for 10 years and just moved back to California. I'm kind of pissed I never bothered to go down.

Comment

Good show. I thought that guy went a bit to hard on Jimmy's arm. What rank where the BJJ fighters??

Comment

Full episode:

http://www.stage6.com/user/EvilMaste...lian-Jiu-Jitsu

Comment

sempai,

I think that guy was brown (and Jimmy is a purple). Shit happens. In a full match, one better be able to tap fast or attempt to defend well enough and fast enough to be able to tap before further injury occurs.

In a full match, a fighter is expected to go for the sub without hesitation. You can't have that type of hesitation because if you do, you will eventually get hurt.

It's a job to be done, and unless you can tell that there is an abysmal skill difference between you and your opponent, all you can do is be committed to do your job on the mat, to defend yourself and to fully commit to your attacks and hope that both of you (you and your opponents) are fast/technically good enough to mitigate and tap before injury occurs.

It's a fighter obligation to do the sub and not let go until the opponent taps or the ref stops you. It is also his obligation to tap or yell tap when he knows he's getting subbed. And in between there is always the hope that the tap will avoid crippling injury, which it does most of the time, but not always. It's not a 100% safe system, but it's an acceptable compromise by anyone who chooses to step to the mat.

It's part of the game, part of the job. Being too concerned about possible mishaps is just going to let you (meaning the person being too concerned about injurying the opponent) into injury.

-- edit --

Anyways, the elbow was strained, but wasn't crippled. I'm sure he had to ice it, but he was able to use his arm during the second match. I've seen worse happened in friendly rolling which less intensity - accidents are just part of the game.
            Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/17/2008 11:00am, .
            Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Whats the story with the yellow belts some of the guys were wearing while training?

Comment

The Rio beach looked like a good place to recover from minor injuries. Heck, it might even tempt me to tap late...

Comment

Originally posted by Odacon
                  Whats the story with the yellow belts some of the guys were wearing while training?

They looked younger so I'm assuming it was their child/teen belts.
                  I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

Comment

Yellow belts are juniors. If you are under the age of 16. They start at White, Yellow, Green and finally Orange.
                    Last edited by miscend; 2/17/2008 12:58pm, .

Comment

Was that "the Gracie gift" I saw when they were working passes near the begining? oh, dear.

As much as I prefer Fight Quest to Human Weapon, & despite the fact that I love Jiu-Jitsu, I found this episode pretty boring. Both hosts have a background in BJJ so you didn't have the experience of seeing their style contrast with what they were studying. I think that that in past episodes the fact that things were new to the hosts helped the audience engage with the exploration of an art that may be new to them. In this epidose you just see the hosts doing what they regularly do but against guys who are better then them. The boxing episode was kind of the same thing but I thought it was a little more fun.

this actually would have been more interesting with the HW hosts because then you'd have the contrast of Jason's Eddie Bravo style with the more old school Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

On a positive note: that woman who was tapping Doug is beautiful & a testement to the fact that McDojo TKD isn't the only kind of martial art with hot female practitioners.
                      Last edited by SBG-ape; 2/17/2008 1:02pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by SBG-ape
                        On a positive note: that woman who was tapping Doug is beautiful & a testement to the fact that McDojo TKD isn't the only kind of martial art with hot female practitioners.
                        I wouldn't get too excited, it's Brazil; hotness is pretty much the norm down there.

Comment

Was that "the Gracie gift" I saw when they were working passes near the begining? oh, dear.

As much as I prefer Fight Quest to Human Weapon, & despite the fact that I love Jiu-Jitsu, I found this episode pretty boring. Both hosts have a background in BJJ so you didn't have the experience of seeing their style contrast with what they were studying. I think that that in past episodes the fact that things were new to the hosts helped the audience engage with the exploration of an art that may be new to them. In this epidose you just see the hosts doing what they regularly do but against guys who are better then them. The boxing episode was kind of the same thing but I thought it was a little more fun.

this actually would have been more interesting with the HW hosts because then you'd have the contrast of Jason's Eddie Bravo style with the more old school Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

My old Boxing club had a ridiculously beautiful women there. Dream disturbingly pretty.

Comment

Noticed that as well I take it. Hell, no shame getting tapped out by her, hell, I think he got tapped out twice by her too, lucky bastard!

I wouldn't get too excited, it's Brazil; hotness is pretty much the norm down there.
                            Yeah, too bad it's not the norm here in the states. I'll probably have to find me a good woman down in Brazil who likes Jitz. I'll have to act fast, cause if it's anything like the BJJ clubs in America, they get taken before blue belt.

Comment

Haha. Five minutes in and they've already showed the Gracie Gift Pass.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X