Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knee to the face Anti-Grappling. Looks great on paper, where does it go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee to the face Anti-Grappling. Looks great on paper, where does it go wrong?

What makes the knee to the face technique ineffective? I have no wrestling or grappling background, so what must I do to avoid a knee to the face when shooting in?

It only works if the other person shoots from too far outside and doesn't set it up. Otherwise there usually isn't time. Not a reliable defense.

Comment

most times brining your knee up helps them.

just keep it down.

Comment

Take a look at the Hermes Franca/Sean Sherk fight from UFC 73, if you can find it. France used the knee as a takedown defense and rocked Sherk with it 2-3 times perfectly. Each time though, Sherk's momentum followed through and took Franca down, where he had time to recover and dominate the fight for 5 rounds. Unless you score a knockout or at least hit them hard enough to flatten your opponent out, they'll still take you down.

Comment

Haha! Something I actually experienced!

Backstory:

I was a young, 15 year old BJJ nutrider. My friend was an 18 year old TKD black belt.

"If you tried to tackle me, I'd just knee you in the face."

"You wanna bet?"

In retrospect, this was pretty stupid, but we were kids. We each bet 20$.

So, the situation is this; he knows I'm going for the shoot. I know he's going to try and knee me in the face. I'd say he has the advantage in foresight.

I got within one of my arm's length, and shot. My mouth brushed his knee, which was nasty, but I got hold of the back of his knees, and put my head on the side. I slammed the christ out of him. I think I spent the winnings on Tekken 4.

The knee to the face anti grapple:

If you're the anti grapple:
          Don't let him get too close. Try and make him misjudge the distance, and make a long shot. Or sprawl first, then knee in the face. Or just sprawl.

If you're the grapple:
          Don't shoot from too far away. Try not to dive your face straight into his knees, and keep it off to the side a little, like a real shot. Distract him up top with jabs/face touches before you get the shot. Don't let him anticipate your shot.

Comment

The knee to the face works when you correctly read the shot. This can happen if he shoots from too far away, or if he's predictable and you have him figured out. Otherwise, just sprawl.
            You also have to be really good at throwing knees.
            Originally posted by Goju - joe
            being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

It looks good on paper only if the person executing it has the athletic coordination, speed, power and accuracy to execute it (.ie. Francas keening Sherk, James Irvin kneeing/KOing Terry Martin or Gomi kneeing/KOing Ralph Gracie).

Also, it many cases it depends on the attacker making a slight mistake and the other being fast and experienced enough to capitalize on it (.ie. Irving or Gomi).

Even if the knee lands strong, however, that is no guarantee that it will stop down the attacker - Francas kneed Sherk right on the button several times and hard, and that didn't slow him down (that dude can take a punch.)

In this case, Sherk was strong enough to shake it off, he's fucking good at takedowns, and, ultimately, his momentum allowed him to get the takedown and go to the ground while recovering from the knee to the face.

So you see, the momemtum carried by the fighter going to the takedown is too strong to be stopped by a punch, knee or kick. This is more so if the strike is not strong enough to KOing, and even worse if the guy can take a punch.

So from there, we see it is not a high percentage thing.

Then, to actually execute it, a high degree of athleticism, and most important, actual, practical fighting experience is required. Most people who advocate it and who find it good on paper usually lack these two attributes which are required to land it on the opponent's face (and which does not guarantee that it will work 100% of the time.)

-- EDIT --

Kenshin and Question beat me to it. I hate you both now.
              Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Well, yours was much more detailed, so it was better.

Pleasedon'thurtme.

Comment

You know, I think if you want to coutner a shot with a knee to the face, you should just throw knees all throughout the match. Sometimes people get caught with knees, almost by complete accident, while they're ducking under punches in combos. Similar things can happen if they try to shoot on you while you pressure them with strikes.
                  Originally posted by Goju - joe
                  being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBadGuy
                    If you're the anti grapple:
                    Don't let him get too close. Try and make him misjudge the distance, and make a long shot. Or sprawl first, then knee in the face. Or just sprawl.
                    IMO, this is the way to do it. If it's allowed in the rules you're fighting under, one good sprawl followed by knees in the sprawl position will be enough to at least make your opponent wary of another shot.

Comment

Knee to face = single leg plz!

Seriously.
                      GUIZ THIS IS LIEK MY SIGNACHOOR LOLOL

:icon_roll

Comment

Originally posted by KenshinBt10
                        Take a look at the Hermes Franca/Sean Sherk fight from UFC 73, if you can find it. France used the knee as a takedown defense and rocked Sherk with it 2-3 times perfectly. Each time though, Sherk's momentum followed through and took Franca down, where he had time to recover and dominate the fight for 5 rounds. Unless you score a knockout or at least hit them hard enough to flatten your opponent out, they'll still take you down.

If I remember correctly after each one of those knees Franca actually pulled guard trying to get the guillotine. Maybe he was just being taken down so he tried the guillotine anyway but it really looked like he actively went for it.
                        I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

Comment

I don't know if we saw the same Franca/Sherk fight... cause the second (or third?) knee DID knock Sherk on his ass. And any normal fighter would have been done... Franca just got over excited and couldn't capitalize.

And i also thought we pulled guard a few times (with the guillotine).

Plus Sherk has to have one the best/fastest shots in MMA... meaning if HE can be put on his ass, ANYONE "can" be...

it's just not nearly as reliable as a sprawl
                          Last edited by RandomTriangle; 2/10/2008 11:46pm, .

Comment

Ignashov made work in K-1 mma fight, but his opponent went only for single leg, single leg, single leg. About third time he caught him good and got ko.

Comment

I have tried it a couple of times, usualy ended up kneeing someone in the chest as I go backwards and down.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X