Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor says no training till healed, is she being overly cautious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are you seriously considering entering a kickboxing commp in a month? with a broken fibula?

seriously, seriously now. wait. there will be other comps. and nobody should be asking you to enter any comps while you are injured

and if you think about this- if youre leg gets injured (again) in your next comp, and you have to take time off work and make a claim, no insurance company will pay out if they find out you had a pre-existing injury and were advised by a medical professional not to train while having your original injury.

I know a lot of people say they wont ever claim, but if there is no money coming in..................

Comment

Wow, I really wasn't expecting such a 1 sided debate.

Well I do usually take my elders advice and I do agree that people before me have made the mistakes so I don't have to.

I'm not gonna lie, i'm still going to train but i'll make sure I avoid doing anything which could damage the leg. Which to be fair isn't too restricting, it just means I can't kick with it nor have it kicked and my footwork will be a little linear. I haven't tried any BJJ since the injury so i'll have to see about that.

But yeh I guess i'll have to pull out of the events/comps :(

Will it tarnish my reputation to be able to get fights if I pull out?

Comment

Originally posted by Cuchulain
        Hell no

Look how many pro level fighters don't fight if they have injuries.

It's just not sporting. That's be like Beckham coming out to play with a broken leg - it's not what the crowd wants to see, it won't win games, and it's certainly not what's best for him

Comment

Who cares? A better question would be, how do you feel about limping for the rest of your life?

If you had a torn muscle, or something minor like that, I'm sure some of us would have said go for it, but a broken bone? Oh hell no.

I've known at least one fighter who missed a fight due to an injury, and yeah, he caught flack for it, mostly from his younger training partners. Everyone forgot about it when he won his next fight though.
          Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Why is it that people choose not to listen to their doctor? Have you any idea the YEARS of hell they went through just to be able to say, with confidence, "Stay off that broken bone"?

Seriously, listen to your damn doctor.

Comment

Yeh I know but;

a) She's not a Kickboxer and as such doesn't know what my training involves.
              b) It really does feel ok.
              c) She didn't tell me what I wanted to hear.
              d) I'm not a poooooossssy.

Thanks for the concern guys but I really would feel like an idiot for not training when I feel like I can.
              OK you're not a poooooooosssy, but you must be a dumbass. I say go ahead and practice and fight, you will get what you deserve for it. Just remember to get video so we can all laugh, err, commiserate with you.

Comment

Well it's no where near as bad as it sounds, if you look up what a fibula is, you'll see it's really not that important. Besides Randy Couture broke both his arms during his fight with Gonzaga and went on to win.

Comment

Well it's no where near as bad as it sounds, if you look up what a fibula is, you'll see it's really not that important. Besides Randy Couture broke both his arms during his fight with Gonzaga and went on to win.
                  no offence, but most guys on here have a good idea of basic physiology. The fibula is only unimportant inasmuch as it doesnt matter too much when they can bolt it back together nice and straight.

And dont go quoting randy couture facts with regards to this. for one he is a world class athlete, two he is a fucking animal, and three i dont think he entered for his next fight until all his bones were fully healed.

now go be smart

Comment

If you don't trust your doctor, you can try and get a second opinion from a different doctor. But seriously, why would you want to train if you're injured? I'm sure you've met a bunch of people who got injured when they were young, didn't properly let it heal, and have continued pains for the rest of their lives. I know one of my gym coaches in high school did similar things when he was younger, and now he can't really run very well. Remember, highly educated medical professionals generally know what they're talking about, especially something as simple as if it hasn't healed, rest it.

Comment

Well it's no where near as bad as it sounds, if you look up what a fibula is, you'll see it's really not that important.
                      It's the second largest bone in your lower leg, and is heavily involved in the movement of your foot. Just because it's not a weight-bearing bone doesn't mean it's not important. Will a deformed fibula prevent you from walking? No. But there's a difference between being able to walk and depending on your feet and legs to propel you to victory.

Displaced fractures of large bones are never trivial. They can increase your risk of other medical problems, including possible nerve damage, osteoma (cancer), and arthritis.

More importantly, such fractures can cause deep vein thrombosis (formation of blood clots in the legs.) Clots can cause phlebitis, which WILL affect your ability to kick, and if they detach and move through the bloodstream they can block pulmonary arteries, possibly resulting in a life-threatening embolism.

Besides Randy Couture broke both his arms during his fight with Gonzaga and went on to win.
                      "Went on to win" very shortly after the break occured, but did not go INTO the fight with a broken arm. He also took several weeks away from fighting afterwards. Couture's fracture was a clean break, with no displacement, and received prompt medical treatment. The break you describe yourself with was displaced and ignored for weeks, healing out of place.

If you decide to be a dumbass and ignore the advice of both medical professionals and experienced fighters, at least do the rest of us a favor and make sure you've got good insurance coverage so the rest of us don't have to foot the bill if you turn yourself into a drooling vegetable.

More to the point, if you're gonna do what you want anyway, why waste peoples' time by asking the question in the first place?

Comment

OK, at first you were just trying to avoid being a wussy hypochondriac - which I can respect even though it was a little misplaced. Now you're being a fucking moron.

As a sports massage therapist who has also had training in the fitness field (aside from being a "broken old guy"), I definitely do know what the fibula is. Although it only performs about 10% of the leg's load bearing, it does stabilize the ankle joint while the tibia handles the other 90%. It is also a connection point for the biceps femoris (hamstrings), soleus (deeper of the calf muscles), ankle/foot flexors, and the lateral collateral ligament of the knee. Important enough for you?

Comment

so you going to listen to the masses?

Comment

Originally posted by leec123
                            so you going to listen to the masses?
                            Yeah sure, i'm going to take it easy on it, definately.

I'm sorry if I'm coming accross as arrogant, i'm not meaning to be. I didn't realise it was so serious, but I do now.

As I said, the injury happened in mid november, so I have been resting it for a few months already and it feels painless now except for a dull ache after exercise. But I appreciate what you are saying in that I don't want to disturb it while it's healing (which it is, as I saw a big white patch on the x-ray)

Comment

You have to think this one out. Do I miss a couple matches and let myself heal completely up where I can go 100 percent. Or do I risk it all and stand a chance of permanant injury. WheaselSpleen is right, there are too many risks. There's also compartmental fractures where the bone doesn't even have to break again, just get injured in the area enough to damage the muscle tissue around it. The treatment for it involves slicing the muscle open and leaving it open until it fully heals. Or the thrombosis that can cause a pulmonary embolism, heart attack or stroke. Looks like it's all stacking up on one side, but hey, it's your leg

Comment

Good choice, now drink plenty of milk, heal fast, train hard and kick some ass! Good luck...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X