Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Vannest - Anyone trained with him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Vannest - Anyone trained with him?

Read some stuff on another forum and wanted to know if anyone knew him here.

Apparently he claimed to be a BJJ BB, but was 'joking.'
    He's also under Jorge Gurgel not apparently.
    He also did some Twister Spine-Lock Series instructional I read was poor.

Anyone?

Hes definately not a credible BJJ black belt, if he still continues to claim that rank. I believe he calls what he does "SAW" jiu jitsu or whatever the hell you want to call it. Nontheless, I saw the demo of him on tv in which he was wearing a black belt. I believe his last given rank may have been that of a purple belt. Not to say that he doesnt have a decent understanding of the game, but you simply wouldnt want to train with someone with a personality such as that.

go to www.jiujitsugear.com/forum and do a search on his name. he got hit hard on there

Comment

David Vannest here. I am a three-stripe purple belt under Jorge Gurgel. The black belt you may have seen me wear is my black belt in traditional Japanese Ju-jitsu. SAW (which stood for submission art wrestling) was an organization or club that I used to have that I branched off of my old school in Wheeling, WV called Ohio Valley Jiu-jitsu. I have since deep sixed the SAW name and logo. I teach and train and Beckley MMA/Team Jorge Gurgel in Beckley, WV. This is Bryan Atterson's school that he started when he moved back to Beckley. He has since moved to NC now trains in Charolatte, so I took over the teaching duties for him so his school can keep rolling. I still go to the Ohio Valley area and teach my old students from time to time. Anyone passing through southern WV sould stop by and train with us at Beckley MMA. www.trainmma.com

And as for my asswhopin I got a couple of years ago on jiujitsugear.com/forum. I took it like a man an kept on steppin. I still occasionally post there. People who know me or meet me are suprised to find out that I am not nearly as much of a dick as I came off as online.
      Last edited by dvannest; 2/19/2008 2:49pm, .

Comment

Wow, that was a very nice and calm post. Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

thanks, bro.

Comment

Belts are over-rated anyways

Whats up everyone, this is my first post. My name is Scott Joseph, Im 36 and Im in the Ohio Valley. I dont and never did understand why so many people judge the abilities of someone based on the color of the belt they are wearing. Just because you have a Black Belt doesnt mean you are a bad a*s, and just because you are wearing a lesser rank belt doesnt mean that you arent a bad a*s.

As for Dave Vannest, whats up bro? I have known Dave for 14 years. I dont know what is all true and not true in regards to things that were said by Dave or about Dave in the forums over the past few years, so I cant comment on that. I can tell you this though, I learned alot from Dave, both JJ with some muay thai thrown in. He is really a great dude, and a great friend. He doesnt forget his roots.

One last thing. Before you criticize Dave and his abilities, roll with him. Then post your opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by dvannest
              David Vannest here. I am a three-stripe purple belt under Jorge Gurgel. The black belt you may have seen me wear is my black belt in traditional Japanese Ju-jitsu. SAW (which stood for submission art wrestling) was an organization or club that I used to have that I branched off of my old school in Wheeling, WV called Ohio Valley Jiu-jitsu. I have since deep sixed the SAW name and logo. I teach and train and Beckley MMA/Team Jorge Gurgel in Beckley, WV. This is Bryan Atterson's school that he started when he moved back to Beckley. He has since moved to NC now trains in Charolatte, so I took over the teaching duties for him so his school can keep rolling. I still go to the Ohio Valley area and teach my old students from time to time. Anyone passing through southern WV sould stop by and train with us at Beckley MMA. www.trainmma.com

And as for my asswhopin I got a couple of years ago on jiujitsugear.com/forum. I took it like a man an kept on steppin. I still occasionally post there. People who know me or meet me are suprised to find out that I am not nearly as much of a dick as I came off as online.
              Holy shit a miracle just happened. Wow. This is a first, someone gets called out on Bullshido and actually leaves an calm and intelligent reply. Holy shit.

Props to you man, best first post ever.

Comment

Excellent post, Mr Vannest.

Did you ever actually claim to be a BJJ black belt, or did people just assume you were claiming it since you wore a bb?

Comment

Originally posted by wa2ruff
                  Just because you have a Black Belt doesnt mean you are a bad a*s, and just because you are wearing a lesser rank belt doesnt mean that you arent a bad a*s.
                  BJJ people tend to be especially touchy about people with fake belt ranks. And i guess nobody likes seeing a guy claim a million-dan blackbelt in his art without actually putting any work into it.
                  I agree that nobody should be snubbed about a lower belt rank.

Kudos to David for stepping up and clearing the thing up. Only if all first posts were so awesome :icon_blac

Comment

Originally posted by dvannest

Awesome job. This isn't meant to be a 'test' question or anything- I really am just curious- what style of JJJ do you practice? I'm particularly fond of old school JJJ styles.

Comment

Originally posted by illegalusername
                      BJJ people tend to be especially touchy about people with fake belt ranks. And i guess nobody likes seeing a guy claim a million-dan blackbelt in his art without actually putting any work into it.
                      I agree that nobody should be snubbed about a lower belt rank.

Kudos to David for stepping up and clearing the thing up. Only if all first posts were so awesome :icon_blac
                      I can fully understand why the BJJ community gets offended by someone claiming to have a black belt rank. It is disrespectful. I can tell you that when I trained with Dave we didnt even discuss belt rankings. We had a group of guys that Dave trained here in the valley, and we got together and learned different chokes and joint locks. We also worked stand up, clutching, throws, takedowns and as I said in my last post some muay thai kicks.

In Dave's post he explained the black belt he wore, and stated his current ranking. I hope this straightens out some of the past issues. If you ever get the chance to meet up with him and hang out, whether its to roll around or go have a beer, you will see that he is a laid back dude that is intelligent and hard not to like.

Comment

Thanks for the support Scott,

how u been... haven't seen you in a few years. Take care of yourself bro. Shoot me an email sometime at [email protected].

Comment

WOW...where do I start? First, I have never posted anything anywhere before so this is all new. I was trying to look up my old friend and I had to post when I read all of the silly crap about Dave on here and other sites. For the record, I was one of Dave's first students when he started teaching. And for what is it worth, he is great instructor. He really pushes you and coaches you and, ultimately, you get better. That is what its all about right? Who gives a crap who has a BB or who gave it to whom. Its silly. I have been in martial arts for decades and I would like to tell some truth: the BB system in BJJ is nothing more than a network marketing scheme, like amway. It's all supply and demand frankly, the fewer BB there are, the more $ insructors can charge. LOL so long as their BB has a direct line to Brazil. Silly. Dave offered quality instruction (which I found out when I went tot a BJJ school for a bit years later and did better than I should have) and he let some of us "starving college kids" go without paying tuition a time or two. That is called dedication to the art, not dedication to the 'business'. Unlike many McDojos teaching BJJ.

At the end of the day, Dave is stand up dude that knows his craft well and has proven it time and time again on the mat. He deals with his critics like a man and keeps on roll'n, teaching and getting better. Good Luck Bro! I meant to come out to the Arnold to see you, but was out o town for work. Maybe next year! hit me up [email protected]

Comment

So BJJ black belts, by and large, are money-grubbin' scheming shysters whose rank probably ain't worth a hill o' beans?

Huh, whoda thunk. I didn't realize they were on the same level as the chubby Kempo and TKD black belts I see crawlin' out tha woodwork.

Comment

I can think of no martial art/science that requires as much knowledge and training as the BJJ black belt. People who spend 9 year training hard in BJJ and are only mid-level brown belts (A huge accomplishment in and of itself) are right to question claimants of BJJ blackbeltdom who can't demonstrate lineage and prove their abilities in competition.

Van Nest clearly has demonstrable purple belt lineage, nobody has suggested he made false claims of a BJJ black belt, and we've all stated that we respect his straight answers to the simple questions of why he has been seen wearing a black belt. Unless there's a legitimate question as to his JJJ black belt lineage, thread over, question answered, mission accomplished.

It sounds, from his response, that he is currently wearing the purple belt with the 3 stripes, despite having earned a black belt in a different form. This seems to demonstrate real reverence for BJJ and indicates a high level of technical knowledge/understanding. Thread over?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X