Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything good about this place!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anything good about this place!?

http://memphisaiki-kai.com
    Aikido is one of the world's newest, most mysterious martial art, incorporating graceful dance-like maneuvers with the ancient combat skills of Japan's most famous fighting arts.
    After reading up a little on Ke?po I wanted to try it , but there's a limit to good schools here in the south.
    While I was dilligently scouring the interweb for a school I came across this place...but a few red flags came up.

This for one. What the hell is this!? I've read too many diaries of teenage MAers (like me) to look at this unobjectively

Kempo includes grappling techniques, Tuite; vital point strikes, Kyusho Jitsu; and weapons techniques, Kobudo.
    Huh, now, what?

And apparently they have "Friendship Seminars" that pretty much operate like a stag party or something; I don't know. Could be a cult.:dead:

Help me. anyone who takes Ke?po. How are your schools? What's the curriculum? How's this place?

Last edited by PasleyPMT; 1/26/2008 10:23pm, .

Despite how poor Aikido is , it certainly doesn't include "dance moves." I say stay away.

Comment

I say go, and enjoy having your testicles kicked.
      Originally posted by Cullion
      You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
      Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Comment

Looks like an Aikikai lineage type of school, part of the Aikido Association of America (founder is Fumio Toyoda). The founder of this school studied aikido with 2nd Doshu i.e, Kisshomaoru Ueshiba, son of M. ueshiba. Subsequently he split from hombu when Koichi Tohei left Hombu to form his Ki-Aikido society.

Having said that, I think this dojo is more in line with Tohei's principle, meaning seeing Aikido more as a form of gentle health giving exercise rather than as a fighting skill development MA.

I hope I make sense.

GMW

Comment

So in other words, that isn't t3h r34l aikido?

Comment

Who cares, it has groin kicking!

Comment

Hey, I'm in Memphis. Let's go shit the place up!

Comment

So is it an elaborate tactic where they take a shot to the nuts just to get within wrist range?
                Check out my blog!:

http://jadonbjj.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jadonblade
                  So is it an elaborate tactic where they take a shot to the nuts just to get within wrist range?
                  that's teh real aikido-dodo
                  In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Comment

dancing... check

too bad all these photos are 5+ years old
                    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Comment

and good luck finding the place.. it looks like a mini-strip mall dojo

Comment

I've never seen anybody so happy to be nadkicked as that white belt.

Maybe that's the technique. Learn to be happy about nadkicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Virus
                          So in other words, that isn't t3h r34l aikido?
                          Say, Virus my man... when are you gonna come out of the closet and be proud of who you are? I.e., Magic Pants (TM) lovin wrist grabbin hippie that you are actually...

Magic Pants 43V4!

GMW

Comment

Originally posted by AlienGunfighter
                            Hey, I'm in Memphis. Let's go shit the place up!
                            Hell yeah!

I sort of posted this up as a joke, and half because I'm desperate for something new.

I could probably end up earning some life experience then make it into a Bullshido Diary.

Comment

I almost think I recognize the shopping center...if it's what I'm thinking though the school's in Germantown or some equally whitebread region of Memphis, but I left a long time ago.

Still, you have to go, because I have this mental picture of the students yelling, "Kick me in the jimmy!" before receiving their testicular trauma, and you have to find out for me if it's accurate.
                              It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt.
                              -AkidoMom

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X