Physical Culture and Self Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical Culture and Self Defense

OK, I've republished another antique manual: Physical Culture and Self Defense by Robert Fitzsimmons.

As with all other retranscribed antique manuals that I republish, the text is available for free. You can download it at no charge. The treeware version is at "cost."

Born June 4, 1862, Robert Fitzsimmons began boxing first as an amateur in Australia, defeating four men in his debut. He quickly transitioned to professional and in the late 19th Century met and defeated numerous well known champions of the day including Dempsey, Maher, Hall, Creedon, Corbett, Ruhlin, Sharkey, "and others of like note..." retaining and defending the Heavy-Weight title until June 9, 1899.

In retired life, Fitzsimmons taught Boxing, Self-Defense, and Physical Fitness, then known as "Physical Culture." In 1901, he published his Fitness and Boxing manual titled "Physical Culture and Self Defense" which included material from earlier articles he had written.

This book is a faithful retranscription by Kirk Lawson of the original text. Special attention has been given to recreating the look and feel of the original document, including similar fonts, the preservation of spelling, hyphenation, and intentionally blank pages.
    You can get the book at: http://www.lulu.com/content/1921948

While you're there, check out the other offerings: http://stores.lulu.com/lawson

Enjoy!

Thanks!

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

Billy Edwards classic 1888 boxing manual is up there too. Same deal.

Comment

Thanks. I am a big fan of the late bareknuckle and early glove days of boxing.
          Walrus Mike

http://www.phillymma.com/

Comment

Wow thanks for letting me download that for free. On page 45 he explains how to do leg raises and push ups. Really cool read man thanks.

Comment

i'll drink to that
              In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Comment

Excellent. Much obliged.

Comment

Originally posted by M1K3
                  Thanks. I am a big fan of the late bareknuckle and early glove days of boxing.
                  I have two other antique boxing manuals, Corbett's "Scientific Boxing" and Allanson-Winn's "Boxing," which I will republish in the not-too-distant future. I'll start with Corbett so keep a weather eye on the lulu page. I'd guess every month or so should be enough. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmer
                    Wow thanks for letting me download that for free. On page 45 he explains how to do leg raises and push ups. Really cool read man thanks.
                    And he also recommends against smoking. ;)

Still, what would you expect from a manual that includes a section on Physical Fitness?

Comment

I love that old physical culture shit. Too bad I can't rep you for your efforts..

Oh Wait.. Yes I can!
                      Originally posted by Cullion
                      You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
                      Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Comment

I anxiously await Ddlr's appearance in this thread.

Comment

This is amazingly awesome!

Comment

His breathing exercises are reminiscent of qigong.

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X