Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when I thought I was over-reacting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Just when I thought I was over-reacting

    Ya know, I was getting to the point where I was beginning to doubt the cause of fighting Bullshido...that perhaps the accusations of it's presence within martial arts is blown out of proportion, and that I was becoming way too alarmist...but then I get a conversation like the one I got today...

    Was talking to a friend at his job about the BJ Penn fight. Good times, but then this co-worker of his, some kid about 18-20yrs old I'd guestimate walks over to join the conversation...

    He goes, "oh you're talking about that UFC stuff?
    Friend: Yup, did ya catch the fights last night?
    Guy: Oh, no....who was fighting?
    Friend: BJ Penn and Joe Stevenson was the title fight of the night
    Guy: *confused look on his face* Oh...yeah...I think I know him. He's the guy with the tattoo's on his back right?
    Me: No.....
    Guy: Oh...I must be thinking of someone else
    Me: Maybe, anyway *speaking to my friend now* I can't wait till I can get back into training...
    Guy: *interjects* oh you train?
    Me: Yeah, at Matt's place right down the road
    Guy: Oh you train there! That's cool. Yeah I train at an MMA gym down a few miles off 110
    Me: What?? 110? There's an MMA gym?
    Guy: Oh yeah, I've been training at >insert name of local JJJ school< for about 3 years. It's good stuff. It's a little different than the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu because we add in punching and kicking like in MMA, and we're more focused on...like...killing the guy real quick. *laughs*
    Me: Yeah, can't waste any time now can you....
    Guy: Yeah, we train more for the street self defense, so we focus on like, finishing the fight real quick, killing the guy.
    Me: Ya don't say... Well I gotta go.



    Yes I know I should have said more, but I was too dumbfounded at the moment, and didn't want to start slinging out insults at my friends co-worker. Once I get a better grasp of what I really want to say and accomplish, I'll talk to him again about it. Perhaps invite him to a throwdown.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

    #2
    God... I remember when I was that dumb. Same age, too.

    Please take him to a throwdown as soon as possible.

    Comment


      #3
      So today in Muay Thai I'm holding pads for a Aikido/Karateka. I could finish the story right there, frankly, but I won't. What's relevant is that at one point he remarked how karate was "a good art for learning stances and footwork", and that Muay Thai was like "jumping straight into the advanced stuff". I flat-out told him those two statements were so fucking stupid I didn't have time to explain to him everything wrong with it.

      Why can't anyone else do this?
      Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

      1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

      2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

      3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

      REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Boyd
        Why can't anyone else do this?
        Because holding pads and talking is fucking hard.

        As if it didn't take you years to work up to it.

        You don't just jump straight into Advanced Pad-Holding and Discussion.
        Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
        click here to order on Amazon

        Comment


          #5
          But seriously, why not say something immediately? it's not like you have to condemn him on the sport. You can ask all sorts of questions, draw out his opinions and habits, and then introduce challenges (i.e. the Socratic approach).

          And I'm also surprised you were 'dumfounded'. These ideas are very common, and you've heard them often enough. (I mean, you post on MAP, don't you?)

          A TROO WARYOR WOODNT HAVE BEAN SUPRISED A TROO WARYOR WOODVE EKSPECTED THIS AN COUNTRED IT WITH TRUE SKILLZ.
          Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
          click here to order on Amazon

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Boyd
            So today in Muay Thai I'm holding pads for a Aikido/Karateka. I could finish the story right there, frankly, but I won't. What's relevant is that at one point he remarked how karate was "a good art for learning stances and footwork", and that Muay Thai was like "jumping straight into the advanced stuff". I flat-out told him those two statements were so fucking stupid I didn't have time to explain to him everything wrong with it.

            Why can't anyone else do this?
            I'm too nice. It takes a bit of ego on their part, to stoke the fire within me, to get me to get blunt with them.
            Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
            ...Willing is not enough you must do
            ~Bruce Lee

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by DAYoung
              But seriously, why not say something immediately? it's not like you have to condemn him on the sport. You can ask all sorts of questions, draw out his opinions and habits, and then introduce challenges (i.e. the Socratic approach).

              And I'm also surprised you were 'dumfounded'. These ideas are very common, and you've heard them often enough. (I mean, you post on MAP, don't you?)

              A TROO WARYOR WOODNT HAVE BEAN SUPRISED A TROO WARYOR WOODVE EKSPECTED THIS AN COUNTRED IT WITH TRUE SKILLZ.
              I train too much with people with common sense. I forgot how dangerous it can be on the street, where any LARPer can blow your mind!
              Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
              ...Willing is not enough you must do
              ~Bruce Lee

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by KempoFist
                I train too much with people with common sense. I forgot how dangerous it can be on the street, where any LARPer can blow your mind!
                Exactly.

                In training to fight properly, you're learning very bad debating habits.

                YOU'RE IN A CULT, DUDE - YOU NEED TO SPLIT TO HOMBU QUICK SMART, AND ENCOUNTER TRUE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS.
                Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
                click here to order on Amazon

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by DAYoung
                  Exactly.

                  In training to fight properly, you're learning very bad debating habits.

                  YOU'RE IN A CULT, DUDE - YOU NEED TO SPLIT TO HOMBU QUICK SMART, AND ENCOUNTER TRUE DIVERSITY OF OPINIONS.
                  I fucking hate you
                  Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                  ...Willing is not enough you must do
                  ~Bruce Lee

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Boyd
                    So today in Muay Thai I'm holding pads for a Aikido/Karateka. I could finish the story right there, frankly, but I won't. What's relevant is that at one point he remarked how karate was "a good art for learning stances and footwork", and that Muay Thai was like "jumping straight into the advanced stuff". I flat-out told him those two statements were so fucking stupid I didn't have time to explain to him everything wrong with it.

                    Why can't anyone else do this?
                    shoulda took off the pads threw them on the ground and walked away. the cool way.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I find it amusing that you had lulled yourself into believing that most martial artists are almost reasonable. I know that posting primarily on bullshido will kind of do that to you but seriously, go on the myspace forums sometime and people will try and tell you why pointsparring is the best way to do things and that YES you really can learn to project chi.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        It's strange how the spirirt of BJJ is truly what martial arts is about, the weaker smaller opponent defeating the larger one by outsmarting him and doing it with restricted or minimal harm to the opponent yet BJJ seems to get the reputation of a bloody and agressive martial art, while people who train in "holistic" arts like Aikido and JJ often talk about killing people and riping off and breaking their limbs in a fight

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by AnnaTrocity
                          I find it amusing that you had lulled yourself into believing that most martial artists are almost reasonable. I know that posting primarily on bullshido will kind of do that to you but seriously, go on the myspace forums sometime and people will try and tell you why pointsparring is the best way to do things and that YES you really can learn to project chi.
                          Ugh...yeah, well my circle of martial arts discussion is mostly people who train in like-minded fashion, or people who don't train but love to watch MMA so they at least have a grasp of what a fight actually looks like.

                          The "I can't fight you unless I can rip your throat out" mentality is something I haven't been exposed to in person in quite some time, and it hit me like a sack of bricks. I'm just standing there like...."is this guy trolling me? Wait...no....this isn't the internet."
                          Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                          ...Willing is not enough you must do
                          ~Bruce Lee

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by KempoFist
                            I hate fucking you
                            Is it the Heidegger chaps?
                            Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
                            click here to order on Amazon

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Partezan
                              yet BJJ seems to get the reputation of a bloody and agressive martial art
                              It's because certain people used to encourage their students to troll Rio for people to beat up.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X