Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Self Defence for Discerning Ladies and Gentlemen"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGiTAtJI_uU

Self defense as it was being taught around 1900: walking stick fighting, old-school boxing etc. Looks like fun.
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Mhaha, awesome shit!
    Are those "Irish Sticks" golf clubs?

Comment

The straight sticks with the short knob-like handles are shillelahs, traditional Irish walking sticks. Back in the day they used to hollow out the handles and fill them with lead for extra smackdown power.
      Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Comment

Makes me wonder if just a crash course in Kali and the Sweet Science wouldn't suffice?
        Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
        Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Comment

"Bata" (the art of using a shillelagh) is very much alive, as is bare knuckle boxing.

I met a bata fighter who showed me the proper stance plus a six inch scar running across his head where he said the bone had been showing through. He spoke with a very thick accent and was truly nuts considering he regarded having his bloodied skull showing a "good match"
          What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Comment

Awesome, except the Irish Stick Fighting should have included the sucking down of a few pints of Guinness and a fifth of Bushmill's.

Comment

Originally posted by socratic
              Makes me wonder if just a crash course in Kali and the Sweet Science wouldn't suffice?
              Sure, but t-shirts and shorts are no-where near as cool as MA training in derby hats and three-piece suits.

Comment

There are still schools that do that, you know.
                Originally posted by Cullion
                You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
                Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Comment

Here's one of them -
                  http://www.suspensionofdisbelief.co....perience-days/

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR
                    t-shirts and shorts are no-where near as cool as MA training in derby hats and three-piece suits.
                    Quoted for truth.

Also, one thing in favor of the Western martial arts: it's better to train alive in a dead art then to train dead patterns in an art with a living tradition. IMHO.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X