Thanks for saving me Bullshido.net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for saving me Bullshido.net

tl;dr, but congratulations on your reaching an epiphany, and welcome to the site.

Comment

Been here for a while actually, mostly lurking.

The sad part is that it took me so long to realize that I was the only instructor to have sparring as a regular part of training. Otherwise (I hope) I would have left sooner.

Comment

What do you train in now?

Comment

Well I sorta read the first 2 or 3 lines and have concluded my advice is filled with correctyness: Never take CMA from a white guy.

Comment

Good for you for getting out of there.

But I would imagine Bullshido.net can't take all the credit, after all your MT, Judo, Shooto, and Ashihara experiences should have helped you realize the crap you had to swallow the instant your sifu started shoveling it.

I'm sure your students would be happy to learn what you have studied in those systems while you shack up with the Dog Brothers.

Comment

just read your stories. Hella funny conversations you had. Takes me back. Funny how there's so many different crappy schools of various styles, but the same pervasive BS ideology is at the root of them all :)

Comment

Originally posted by McMurf
                Never take CMA.
                Fixed.

Comment

Word that

Comment

Originally posted by Natural Fistic
                    Word that
                    I wish there was an auto-ban for trolls.

Anyway, I went through the same deal you did with my kung fu classes. After going through the many phases of Bullshido denial (there should be a thread about this somewhere)I finally got fed up joined a BJJ/MT school. I can't even compare the training I received before to what I'm getting now.

Comment

I know what you mean by Bullshido denial. You never want to accept that what YOU are doing is shite.

I have students who are still somewhat in denial. While they trust my judgment, they feel that even though the other schools never sparred and such, what WE did was ok. While I agree that what we did wasn't crap, it wasn't as good as it could be.

Somehow I always thought that my (former) sifu wasn't so concerned with teaching me how to fight because of my experience, figuring that since I always translated everything he showed me into fighting applications anyway he felt that wasn't an area I was lacking in. When I trained privately with him, he taught me the forms and some training methodology. What I later realized was that this is how he taught ALL of his students regardless of fighting ability.

One revelation was when I was talking to one of his "indoor" students on msn, who was curios about entering amateur shooto events (no striking on the ground, headgear etc). I told him he should seek out a grappling instructor first and learn to grapple, defend against takedowns and such as I knew he had no grappling experience. To which he replied in perfect honesty that he didn't like grappling and would "finish the fight before it went to the ground". I realized he knew fuck all about fighting.
                      Last edited by nifoc; 12/04/2007 5:06am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Virus
                        Fixed.
                        Yeah, Virus! Fuck those san da pussi ... er, wait.

Comment

excuse me..did anyone say san da pussy?
                          see you at the TD jackrusher..muahaha...

Comment

Good on you for reaching enlightenment. Now, if you truly want to show your gratitude, please post pictures of your country's bikini team.

Comment

Good story. You're conversation with your sifu makes a good demonstration of how people let their MA get watered down. It sounds like it wasn't that he was malicious, or a con artist, or anything like that, he just didn't want to alienate students by holding them up to a higher standard.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X