"On the mat - and off: Memoirs of a Wrestler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"On the mat - and off: Memoirs of a Wrestler"

"On the Mat and Off" was written in the early 1930s by Swedish-American wrestler Hjalmar Lundin. It offers a large number of anecdotes about his heyday working as a professional strongman, boxer and well-respected wrestler during the early years of the pro-wrestling game, when matches were only sometimes "show". Lundin's stories about Farmer Burns, George Hackenshmidt, Frank Gotch, "Strangler" Lewis, George Bothner, Konde Koma (Mitsuyo Maeda) and all the other big names of the day make for good light reading.

Argos Classic Reprints has very generously made this book available as a free PDF download via Lulu.com - http://www.lulu.com/content/1412719 or as a printed copy for $12.49. It's a faithful reproduction of the original book and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the history of American wrestling.
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Nice catch (so to speak). Thanks!
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be some Wing Chunner's crappy response to the "diary of a Chunner" thread. I'm so disappointed.

Comment

Thanks! An interesting read.

Comment

Wow, cool find.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X