The End of Mixed Martial Arts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The End of Mixed Martial Arts.

:bully: http://www.martialdevelopment.com/blog/the-end-of-mixed-martial-arts/

The author says MMA is just a "product", and:

Well he has a graph so how can I disagree?

Comment

That article smells funny.

Comment

more flow charts please!

well like anything that falls into the mainstream, it's going to face a degree of bastardization. Hence all the anti-grapple nonsense being advertised from certain TMA schools. People trying to claim high rank in BJJ when they have very little experience, because they know that is what sells right now. Certain others advertising their school as an "MMA gym" when the actuality is their traing kung fu and karate together, but without all the high resistance, multiple ranges of fighting work.

and your the first person I've seen with a white varrot... bizarre

Comment

That makes about as much sense as wrestling going the way of dim mak. MMA is a sport, and like any other sport, you can't bullshit your way through it. Sparring and conditioning and whatever else will never be de-emphasized unless the sport itself dies.

Comment

The true bits:

We will see no contact "MMA" classes. Hell, we already are. And kiddy krotty instructors will use MMA language to market to parents who still won't want johnny and susy coming home with busted faces.
            The popularity of MMA as a spectator sport will eventually peak and decline (probably many times).

The excrement:

That this has anything to do with the techniques or effectiveness used.

""

Actually. I would be really interested in even one good example (maybe kempo?). For the most part, the styles that emphasize realistic contests today always have, and the arts that emphasize forms based training always have. There may have been individual fighters, or periods where the degree was different, but I don't think the general notion even passes the giggle tes

Comment

I'm quite perplexed by the white varrot too...
              "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the shit out of you.
              And when the shit's been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Comment

I enjoyed the Pokemon/Digimon analogy.

Comment

kingmiracleman- Dude, I think your Avatar is fuckin ace!!!

Alan Moore FTW!!!!!!!!!
                  "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the shit out of you.
                  And when the shit's been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Comment

in my opinion...

Right now: MMA has very good places to train and starting to get very, very popular, its effective in many hand to hand combat situations. Its great for beating the crap out of other MA's and is by far more entertaining than Boxing and Wrestling and by far has the most respect of any MA as of now.

In the Future: Mcdojo Krotty instructors will see how popular MMA is and take advantage of the situation by changing their little strip mall "Karate Palace" into the little strip mall "MMA training and exercise" and totally butcher the thing and turning the once proud stereotype of the Hardcore Mixed Martial Arts Fighter into a lowly 17 yr old D&D playing nerd trying to learn some quick krotty and get his black belt in less than 10 months...

result =:karated:

thanks,
                    Lone Wind

Comment

The major difference is that the multiple Chun and Krotty empires do not have well known established avenues for practioners to prove themselves, so teachers can hide behind all kinds of outlandish claims.

Local MMA competitions where quite rare in the UK, but a few more are springing up now and the first thing I did when I found there was a local MMA class (to my surprise) was check out if any of it's fighters had taken part in the local MMA comps, and they have. That is that standard that I am judging them by, can't say the same for many other local TMA apart from the Kyokushin and Judo ones of course.

The popularity of MMA still has a long way to grow IMO, and there will eventually be two kinds which will be the McDojo's that exist now under a different style name, who can not prove themselves, and actual MMA groups who can prove themselves.

There will always be those people who do dig the kata, the pimped gi's and the pseudo-science/spirituality of some TMA. For that reasons TKD, Krotty, Aikido and 95% of the Chun will always have customers.

Comment

i giggled a little

Comment

what I don't really understand is the idea that if you change what your school does to make your style complete, you've ruined it or you can't call it by the same name

I mean I have a shitload of admiration for say, Billy conn, but I don't think that modern fighters who fight in a very different manner aren't boxers.

Ty5 has some interesting points - the lack of a set venue to say "this person is the "martial arts champion" is part of what allows all the circle-talk in the martial arts.

Comment

because we've all seen how ineffective boxing and wrestling have become, its really more of a dance these days.

Comment

noooooo not the fate of judo

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X