Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good God, BJJ becoming like wing chun.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good God, BJJ becoming like wing chun.....

I'm sick and tired of the Wing Chung lineage crap and who is a student of who, and now it appears that BJJ is becoming imbedded with this leanage shit. Who cares about lineage but is the guy skillfull and can he fight and can you learn form him..... I know I will be flamed but I feel better now.....

Its not quite the same. People arn't claiming that Helio taught them "teh re4l" BJJ, and that all others off shoots are ineffective.

BJJ is still a relativly small art, so black belts are still quite rare in comparison to say, Karate or TKD. Asking a BJJ black belt who they got thier grade from often gives a good indication of there validity.

You seem to have missed the point of asking someone whom gave them there black belt completely. Lurk more.
    Last edited by Hidden Ronin; 11/30/2007 1:27pm, . Reason: mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by sempaiman
      I'm sick and tired of the Wing Chung lineage crap and who is a student of who, and now it appears that BJJ is becoming imbedded with this leanage shit. Who cares about lineage but is the guy skillfull and can he fight and can you learn form him..... I know I will be flamed but I feel better now.....
      The difference: Wing Chun lineages claim to go back many generations while BJJ is a relatively new martial art and can be traced pretty easily.

It's about whether or not the person you're learning martial arts from is a lying sack of shit who will tell you anything to turn your ignorance into his paycheck or is a legitimate student of a well-respected martial artist.

Comment

This explains the red dot watch it as it grows.

BJJ linage is about fuckers claiming to teach JJJ instead of BJJ.
        It is about who taught you and gave you your rank.

It has nothing to do with the deadly, the real, the secret, or boxing techniques that look like Chun and vice versa.

Comment

from my perspective, the difference is that in bjj, we don't really care which "lineage" you're from, we just care that you're from a "lineage."

"i was trained and ranked by x, an obscure blackbelt, who trained under y." that's fine.

"who the fuck are you to ask who ranked me?" not cool.

which is to say that bjjers care about accountability, while chunners care about petty bullshit.
          Last edited by pauli; 11/30/2007 1:39pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by pauli
            from my perspective, the difference is that in bjj, we don't really care which "lineage" you're from, we just care that you're from a "lineage."

"i was trained and ranked by x, an obscure blackbelt." that's fine.

"who the fuck are you to ask who ranked me?" not cool.

which is to say that bjjers care about accountability, while chunners care about petty bullshit.
            Well said, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake
              This explains the red dot watch it as it grows.

BJJ linage is about fuckers claiming to teach JJJ instead of BJJ.
              It is about who taught you and gave you your rank.

It has nothing to do with the deadly, the real, the secret, or boxing techniques that look like Chun and vice versa.

I like to collect them, and here is one your way....but who cares who taught you but are you any good.

Comment

I like to collect them, and here is one your way....but who cares who taught you but are you any good.

It's important if one is claiming rank in BJJ without actually having it. By the way, your red dots do nothing because of what little rep you have.
                I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

Comment

Sempaiman, I thought you were ignorant, I appologise for being wrong.

In fact, your a fucking idiot who obviously dosn't know what hes talking about. If they claim to have a grade that can't be verified, what makes you think there fighting ability is any good either.
                  If a Black Belt in Judo claims to be a black belt in BJJ, yeah his ground game will be solid, but hes still a fraud.

Seriously. Lurk, go on, shoo...

Comment

BJJ black belts CAn fight, since advancement is related to competition. This is not true in wing chun.

Comment

Obviously it's encountered frequently that people who have legitimately studied under a well known martial artist can have less than stellar skills (or just be a bad teacher). Likewise, someone with no lineage at all could be a highly skilled fighter and instructor. I don't see any of the BJJers using lineage as an acid test for whether or not someone is a good instructor but the lay of the land right now (newness of the art, rarity of blackbelts) makes it availible as an acid test for credibility. If I hung a sign out that said "NJ Style Grappling" and a BJJer asked me where I learned and I said "In my backyard wrassling my buddies" I don't think they would have any heartburn with it. If I hung a sign out that said "BJJ Dojo, Black Belt Instruction, Gracie Approved" they certainly should ask me about lineage. I could have the exact same skill set in either scenario, the issue is less about my skills and more about my character. I think BJJers see that with it's popularity BJJ is being watered down, McDojoed and used to defraud people. The fact that they are going through great pains to arrest this process is a testament to their dedication to their art. I do believe however that in a few short years it will become increasingly more difficult to combat this trend. TMA schools have to pay the rent like everyone else and if they have to reinvent themselves as BJJ/MMA gyms they are going to do it.

Comment

Last I checked there was no lineage wars in BJJ.

You don't have BJJers running around saying they have "teh real BJJ."

You don't have BJJers ambushing other BJJers at seminars and getting into girly slap fights on the ground like you do in WC.

You don't have terabytes of wasted bandwidth on dumbfuck threads about who's got the better BJJ and why.

You don't have a handful of BJJers who can't fight laying claim to Helio's legacy like you do with Yippers and WC.

You don't have copyrighting or trademark bullshit in BJJ, there are no "_" spaces in "brazilian jiujitsu." Fuck, even techniques are spelled and referred to the same way no matter where you go - "kimura" is spelled "kimura", no one trademarked that shit like they do in WC, where everything is solved by intellectual property suits because most of them are pussies. Bil Jee, Biu Tze, Biu Gee, I mean come the fuck on. The only exception I can think of in BJJ is d'arce choke vs brabo, and most people would know/accept either term.

Lineage problems my ass. Don't even compare with the chun.

/nutriding.

Comment

The "within living memory" thing is the only reason we can still make a point of asking lineage.

Watch what happens when Helio stops drinking the blood of virgins and finally dies (or whatever he's doing to keep alive) and the older brothers start dropping out of the art.

It's gonna be like 5 minutes after someone on the Titanic 3rd class deck says "Say, did that sound like we hit an iceberg or what?".
                          Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Comment

some stuff about BJJ not being similar to _ _

Comment

To the OP, representing yourself in a truthful manner and a specific individual's aptitude for martial arts are not related. Nor is one dependant on the other.

Ergo, as others stated, the fact that someone falsely claiming to be a BJJ blackbelt has no bearing on his martial skill. Look at it as false advertising. The faker is cashing in on BJJ's reputation. The fact that he could be a legitimate badass does not change this.

I've put over six years of sweat, blood and hard work on the mat to get my purple belt. So when I hear of someone claiming to have rank in BJJ who is unwilling to cite their lineage, I take that pretty seriously.

Just like any other martial artist who trains and spars hard and takes pride in his art.
                              Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X