No announcement yet.

sfgoon , systema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unfortunately I have to take off, my friend is here to bring me to a dinner party. I'll post my responses to these videos later tonight if I have time.

and one thing for sure. the Russian cammo jump suits are awesome.

Comment

I know why he'd say that, and I know what Pavel's response would be. "By accepting a small amount of risk in your training, you greatly decrease your risk of injury in real life." I would side with Tsatsouine on that one.

Internal arts, to which Ryabko's systema is similar, tend to eschew exercises which could result in injury. That's not quite in line with my personal means of thinking.
      Originally posted by Cullion
      You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
      Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Comment

Fair enough. As someone who has done(I am assuming consistantly) Kettlebells for two years, I wondered what your thoughts were. I have trained with them since their birth in the States back in 2000. The American ROSS people at the time were against them. Then the Russians came over, and Kistin showed me how to play hot potato with a 32Kg Kettlebell(which left me saying Russians are fucking nuts). They are teasingly accepted in the PraMek community, mostly as when the bodyweight drills that we and Tescao do no longer work you then run with them.

Personally I like the mental toughness they build as well(the calluses are kinda cool too).

Comment

Originally posted by melk
          Then the Russians came over, and Kistin showed me how to play hot potato with a 32Kg Kettlebell(which left me saying Russians are fucking nuts). They are teasingly accepted in the PraMek community, mostly as when the bodyweight drills that we and Tescao do no longer work you then run with them.

Personally I like the mental toughness they build as well(the calluses are kinda cool too).
          Yeah, the Russians epitomize stoicism with this bizarre ease which I find unsettling and would love to emulate.

If you ever make it out to the RKC, those calluses will prove to be your undoing once they rip. I pulled mine off two weeks out then lotioned the shit out of my hands so they were nice and supple. I had no rips.

edit: Duh! Congrats on the baby melk!
          Last edited by SFGOON; 11/29/2007 8:17pm, .

Comment

It is kinda nuts that I have into KBs this long and never done RKC, but things have never worked out for it. I stopped with the ultra thick calluses when they ripped right before my ROSS instructor cert(that was a bitch). But that was when you had to read on the forum that too thick calluses were bad. Should have paid more attention to the forum.

Comment

honestly it seems that in the US if you are anybody(primary instructors mostly excluded, at least recently) in any RMA you have nothing better to when not training then to flame each other on your forums or other public forums.

If you ask me RMA in general has only suffered from it, to the point where RMA is generally a joke in the US. When in all actuality these systems had a lot to offer both the sporting world and the fighting world.
              hi melk,

I couldn't agree with you more. It's borderline retarded here (stateside) via RMA. There are a couple of chickenshits-in particular-that have made a huge contribution in totally screwing things for everyone else.

Its a huge contrast to my recent experience training in Moscow where they could really give a crap what you did, just show up and roll. And yes, Russians are completely fucking nuts!!
              Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
              -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Comment

Originally posted by theotherserge
                hi melk,

I couldn't agree with you more. It's borderline retarded here (stateside) via RMA. There are a couple of chickenshits-in particular-that have made a huge contribution in totally screwing things for everyone else.

Its a huge contrast to my recent experience training in Moscow where they could really give a crap what you did, just show up and roll. And yes, Russians are completely fucking nuts!!
                Yeah one thing me and some others tried at one point was to organize an association like you have in Europe and other places and for a while, until politics tore things apart in Russia. The idea was the if you studied Kadoch there was something you could learn from ROSS and Systema, and the same with each. And you know we could sportify it a little bit to have tourneys, throwdowns, whatever to try ourselves out against each other and just enjoy the differences and similarities, because to be honest we are all in one way or another children of Spirdinov, but no... ROSS people(the few that are left) couldn't possibly work with Kadoch and Systema, the new Kadoch people(i.e. Starov were absolutely against it), Vlad for his part was ambivilent, because of the freedom each school enjoys he was going to leave it up to each school, and well there are good guys teaching Systema and there are assholes teaching systema. So eventually we just said fuck it and decided to let RMA die in the US, which it is pretty much doing.

Comment

yeah, I'm coming at this from a Sambo background and I thought the Sambo politics were screwed!!!

There are too many paper tigers out there ("Hai, Iz int3rn4tion4l ch4mp!!) who are threatened by the idea of sportive applications. However, you'll hear from their legal dept in a second!

[email protected] in usa!!
                  Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
                  -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Comment

Yeah one thing me and some others tried at one point was to organize an association like you have in Europe and other places and for a while, until politics tore things apart in Russia. The idea was the if you studied Kadoch there was something you could learn from ROSS and Systema, and the same with each. And you know we could sportify it a little bit to have tourneys, throwdowns, whatever to try ourselves out against each other and just enjoy the differences and similarities, because to be honest we are all in one way or another children of Spirdinov, but no... ROSS people(the few that are left) couldn't possibly work with Kadoch and Systema, the new Kadoch people(i.e. Starov were absolutely against it), Vlad for his part was ambivilent, because of the freedom each school enjoys he was going to leave it up to each school, and well there are good guys teaching Systema and there are assholes teaching systema. So eventually we just said fuck it and decided to let RMA die in the US, which it is pretty much doing.
                    That's a pity. OTOH, I guess if individuals wanted to just get together informally, trade stuff, throwdown, whatever on their own initiative, all they'd need would be a place and a time. What about the Bullshido throwdowns, either as an organizational model, or just showing up for the BS throwdowns themselves?
                    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

Which fucking sucks. Hopefully in time that will change, and the key to that change will be attracting quality people to quality clubs.

And for my end, as soon as I can I'm going to start hitting the TDs.

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR
                        That's a pity. OTOH, I guess if individuals wanted to just get together informally, trade stuff, throwdown, whatever on their own initiative, all they'd need would be a place and a time. What about the Bullshido throwdowns, either as an organizational model, or just showing up for the BS throwdowns themselves?
                        I/we've started doing something like the throwdowns on our own. For some of the guys its a very hush-hush affair. Sad because there's some really great information and skills out there but you have to keep a low profile to avoid the "retard-death-ray"
                        -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Comment

Makes sense to get this sort of thing started at the grassroots level, especially if the "official" organizations can't/won't do it for themselves.
                          Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

I think there's maybe two or three folks on this thread who practice the same RMA, and we seem to be collaborating pretty well, so WTF? I for one could give two shits if someone gets uptight about cross training.

And if you count my association with the RKC, I sort of already do cross train.

Comment

Originally posted by SFGOON
                              I think there's maybe two or three folks on this thread who practice the same RMA, and we seem to be collaborating pretty well, so WTF? I for one could give two shits if someone gets uptight about cross training.

And if you count my association with the RKC, I sort of already do cross train.
                              I SWEAR god, if I ever get up to Seattle (I don't know why I would) I'd be happy to roll with you and yours.

Its when there's money involved, especially if you've built up a semi-bogus rep, that the problems arise. AKA Samb-ullshid-o.
                              -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Comment

I'm out in the Bay Area occasionally. I may look you up if I'm ever out there in the near future.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X