No announcement yet.

Sensei Al Perry just challenged me... for asking about his BJJ lineage!!! lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree thing is it is myspace. We all know the crap that goes on in those forums.

I'm not trying to give the guy legitimacy but, his STUDENT fired this shit up. He didn't say anything until MT went to his website forum. Now, the circling of the wagons does bother me.

Now we all know how this works. Dumb student makes a challenge/Claim teacher has to act hard while covering his ass.

I would have found an email address and asked him off the net. I would have told him I'm posting the info I found but, I'd have been a little less confrontational.

Many TMAers are dicks when it comes to linage. As shitty as it may feel, you have to stroke that ego to get information.

This is coming from experience of emailing and trying to get information.

Comment

So you gotta roll with one of his students first before you get to have a go at the main guy?. Any terms of the challenge laid out?

Comment

Originally posted by Jadonblade
        So you gotta roll with one of his students first before you get to have a go at the main guy?. Any terms of the challenge laid out?
        Yeah I actually had all the CMA legends pop up when I read that.

You fought the top student of the school.
        The Master watches and formulates a plan.
        You get your ass whooped.

Master wins?

That is one of the things that worries me, regardless of his legitimacy or lack there of.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp
          Don't let him do that. It's an amateur mistake and can lead to you acting like an immature ass.

There's nothing unreasonable about wanting to verify someone's rank as long as you remain professional. I'd suggest posting another respectful post on his forum. Tell him you aren't interested in being a BJJ enforcer or disrespectful, but that you care about the quality of your art and that many people out there are claiming rank in BJJ who have none so that they can bolster their school's enrollment. Inform him that simply offering up his lineage will clear the whole thing up.

Most likely, you'll have to disclose your own lineage to maintain the appearance of fairness and professionalism if you haven't done so already (I don't have time to read the links right now).

I already did all of that, very respectfully and professionally IMO. I didn't give him my lineage yet because he didn't ask he simply started acting like a dick and told me he would fight me if I could get through one of his students... like the bad gy from a shitty kung fu movie or something.

Comment

if he was legit wouldn't he respond more maturley to someone asking his credentials? i cant imagine anyone who's ever instructed me behaving like that

Comment

You'd be surprised we have had a couple freak out here at being questioned.

Yes, legit/respected instructors.

No, I'm not giving the guy an excuse. It is actually very easy, regardless of style, to name your linage.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake
                You'd be surprised we have had a couple freak out here at being questioned.

Yes, legit/respected instructors.

No, I'm not giving the guy an excuse. It is actually very easy, regardless of style, to name your linage.
                Not sure how familiar you are with BJJ, but BJJ is especially easy. Probably the absolute easiest martial art to name and verify lineage/rank through.

Shit, back in the BJJ.org days all you had to do was click a button, and they had every single black belt up, and due to the very small number of black belts, and even smaller number of 3rd Degree black belts 9capable of promoting to black belt) the site was very accurate, and consistant.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey Triangles
                  Not sure how familiar you are with BJJ, but BJJ is especially easy. Probably the absolute easiest martial art to name and verify lineage/rank through.
                  Posting like this is kind of condescending. I know you may not mean it but, some people will take it wrong. *cough* *cough* *AL*

Shit, back in the BJJ.org days all you had to do was click a button, and they had every single black belt up, and due to the very small number of black belts, and even smaller number of 3rd Degree black belts 9capable of promoting to black belt) the site was very accurate, and consistant.
                  See, this is what I mean by taking it easy. The site in the early days was accurate for High ranks. The reason it was stopped was as the popularity grew it stop being updated.

I also know that BJJ.org made an agreement with a poster here named Aesopian. Who promptly asked for help transferring as much info as possible to a website called BJJinfo.org.
                  Last edited by It is Fake; 11/26/2007 1:12am, . Reason: Mixed post

Comment

Surely this information is pretty standard as well for an instructer to be asked for. In fact in my experience you cant get the people to STFU about there lineage.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake
                      Posting like this is kind of condescending. I know you may not mean it but, some people will take it wrong. *cough* *cough* *AL*
                      To be fair to Mickey he didn't come across that way on the Myspace thread at all.

Although come on guys, posers on Myspace? STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES! (the Gracies will love this... el oh el).

Comment

I had a run in with a bjj noob last night. Rattling off your lineage should be a no brainer.

Smells fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lu Tze
                          To be fair to Mickey he didn't come across that way on the Myspace thread at all.
                          Depends on who you ask right? I thought he was fine at first but, as dicko mecho needled him you can tell he became angry. We all know how traditionalists get upset when you curse in your posts at them.

Look at R_ _ _.
                          Although come on guys, posers on Myspace? STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES! (the Gracies will love this... el oh el).
                          Yes, I said that already. That's what kills me it is a douche on myspace (not MT) working people up.

I've said in multiple posts it is fishy.

Comment

The way they reacted when the OP just asked a standard question is very suspicious.

Comment

Granted, I only skimmed the surface of both the threads (all I have time for now). But I think Mikey was VERY respectful and professional in the way he posed the question. It's a simple question, if the person that is being asked is legit. Lineage should be easy to answer - at least who the person's instructor was.

And on the Myspace thread (I forget if it was on the other one), didn't Mikey actually volunteer the names of his instructors? IIRC, he did, at the time he asked about Al's.

In any case, it's clearly this idiot student who's turned this into an old-school Count Dante challenge. Loser! I won't advise whether or not to step up to the challenge, since... well, that often times ends up being part of what Bullshido does, in it's quest to expose frauds out there. But... if you do go through with the challenge, just be careful. You never know what can happen. Granted I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but I'm sure those who have would say the same thing (if I'm wrong, guys, then feel free to correct me!).

On the up side... maybe you might end up getting an "I will travel to beat your ass" tag! :biggrin:

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65
                                The way they reacted when the OP just asked a standard question is very suspicious.
                                Sensei Al is claiming that asking for lineage is the same as challenging him to a match.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X