BJJ and Judo in Saint louis??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ and Judo in Saint louis??

Just moved from Boston to Saint Louis, anyone know of a good BJJ and/or Judo? Muay Thai would be cool too. Gotta be a place that allows girls to spar...Does that exist in the Biblebelt? Have a brown belt in TKD which I haven't practiced in a long time..wanting to move more towards grappling and ground. Ideas for good places in STL?

Have you checked out your YMCA for Judo? A lot of them offer it and its super cheap, if you aren't set on doing a lot of ground game it might be a good way to go.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for your note. Already done Judo for a while too, am more interested in BJJ and MT though I couldn't take any elbows or knees to the chin(my jaw's been broken and wired about 6 times, not from fighting). I found a place in Fenton, Valko I think? Ever heard of it?
      Last edited by jemas; 11/07/2007 11:19pm, .

Comment

It's Vaghi, in Fenton, not Valko....

Comment

Vaghi is pretty amazing, from what I've seen. I train with one of his brown belts here in Rolla, and he's fantastic. Everyone else I've met from Vaghi's school is also top-notch.

Comment

thanks

Thanks Ranger Dave.

Comment

I've never heard of Shorin-ryu, I know I can look it up, but what's that all about and can I ask how long you've been doing it. Also, Do you know if they have any girls training at Vaghi? Having a hard time finding a place that has girls there, but, honestly I like being around guys anyway, and I'm tall, but I get sick of being put down on my @ss. Don't know if that makes any sense.

Comment

DISCLAIMER: I am not a historian, nor have I ever checked into these facts very thoroughly. This is basically a combination of what I've heard from Shorin-Ryu black belts, (whom are also not historians), and wikipedia. I've only been doing Shorin-Ryu for about 1.5 years, and it's never been in a formal class setting (I've just worked out regularly and been taught by their black belts).

Shorin-Ryu is an Okinawan style, and one of the two styles (the other being goju) that Kyokushin is based on. It's got the basics of every other decent striking style (basic punches, kicks), and one of the major differences I've seen is a larger emphasis on groundwork (several of the black belts are judoka). However, I would like to make it clear that, like most martial arts, 90% of the Shorin-Ryu I've seen doesn't really resemble what I've been taught. I know that my teachers abhor point sparring, but it's apparently a common practice among other schools. There are kata, but they're not emphasized much compared to drills and sparring.

As far as Vaghi's school, I wouldn't know if there's girls that train there. I only work with several of his guys that live in Rolla or come to visit. I was able to make the judgement that he's amazing based on a tournament our martial arts club held in which several of his guys came and cleaned up.

Hope this helped.

Comment

Originally posted by rangerdavy

Shorin-Ryu is an Okinawan style, and one of the two styles (the other being goju) that Kyokushin is based on.
                  Off topic, but actually kyokushin is based on goju ryu and shotokan. not shorin-ryu. Oyama, the founder of kyokushin trained under Funakoshi (the founder of shotokan) and under Gogen Yamagushi (founder of the goju-kai organization of goju ryu).
                  Shotokan and shorin ryu are related (shotokan is mostly based on shorin ryu), but not the same.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X