Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DdlR
    replied
    Escrima is fine but note that there is a big length and weight difference between a typical rattan bastone (escrima stick) and a walking cane strong and long enough to support a tall, heavy guy.

I would suggest the type of training demonstrated here, i.e., full-contact, resistant drills and sparring using a padded cane and body armor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f3lvBY8y7Q

Note specifically the use of the "bayonet" style thrusting attacks and the double-handed grip on the cane, allowing aggressive "bar" slams that double as defensive blocks.

On the assumption that his hip problem would mean that he'd be likely to lose balance in a real fight anyway, combine this type of training and strategy with ground fighting and using the cane as a defensive/grappling aid on the ground.

If you're in NZ, I could put you on to one local (Wellington) instructor who specializes in this type of training.

Leave a comment:

• jkdbuck76
    replied
    Sadly enough, your old teacher might have to quit MA altogether depending upon his healing from the surgery. If he takes care of himself, he should be able to move, but you can forget kicking.

Leave a comment:

• colonelpong2
    replied
    Originally posted by Deadmeat
    If you find a reputable Savate school, that might be good. There is an ofshoot of Savate called "le Canne" which focuses ont he use of a walking stick specifically as a weapon. Being closely related to Savate itself, I assume it should be fairly transferable to someone with a Karate background.

http://www.bridgemansavate.com/H2association.html has some info.

Good luck, i hope that's of some use to you.
    Good idea. I shall make enquitries and see if any local establishment covers this.

JJson, good advice, but pepper spray is totally illegal over here except for police use

Leave a comment:

• sochin101
    replied
    Like Deadmeat suggested, la canne from Savate is probably the closest match to what is sounds like you think he needs.
    To be honest, there're many arts which use 3-4 feet of wood as a weapon, even this, but whether you can find anyone to teach la canne or Bartitsu, that's different matter.

The salient question is... does he think he needs anything other than his other training to defend himself?

Leave a comment:

• ysc87
    replied
    Buy him a cane shaped like a full human vertebre, complete with skull on top- life sized... I'm sure no one will want to touch him.

Secondary option along the same line of thinking is have him walk around with a strap-on harness with a blood-stained banana fitted in it over his pants at all times.

Leave a comment:

• JJson
    replied
    Originally posted by colonelpong2
    Generally a good idea, however not really applciable here in NZ. Our fire arms laws are rather restrictive.

As several of you have poinbed out, I cant think of an MA that doesnt need good hip movement and I havent found what ive seen of ascrima on the whole to be that realistic. Dagnabit.
    As someone already alluded to, the fact he needs the stick to walk could limit its use as a weapon, not much use wackin someone with a stick if your going to fall over as well...
    I know this is not the same thing, but there was a story about a blind guy who was robbed, and he was able to flip his attacker and hold him until the police came. I'm sure there were people who said "blind people can't do MA". Where there is a will, there is a way. A good teacher might find a way to change the curriculum to meet your friends needs. I read about a TKD brown belt who quit TKD because of back problems, and the guy found a Kempo teacher willing to train him to black belt. If nothing else, have him carry a cell phone and pepper spray.

Leave a comment:

• Deadmeat
    replied
    If you find a reputable Savate school, that might be good. There is an ofshoot of Savate called "le Canne" which focuses ont he use of a walking stick specifically as a weapon. Being closely related to Savate itself, I assume it should be fairly transferable to someone with a Karate background.

http://www.bridgemansavate.com/H2association.html has some info.

Good luck, i hope that's of some use to you.

Leave a comment:

• colonelpong2
    replied
    Originally posted by sempaiman
    How about carrying a gun and learning how to shoot.........
    Generally a good idea, however not really applciable here in NZ. Our fire arms laws are rather restrictive.

As several of you have poinbed out, I cant think of an MA that doesnt need good hip movement and I havent found what ive seen of ascrima on the whole to be that realistic. Dagnabit.
    As someone already alluded to, the fact he needs the stick to walk could limit its use as a weapon, not much use wackin someone with a stick if your going to fall over as well...

Leave a comment:

• thlayli
    replied
    Tabi socks, flip flops, knee pads, Speedo, ninja mask. Nobody'll even notice he's walking with a cane.

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied
    If there's no instruction in the area, I'd recommend Cold Steel's video Stun, Stagger and Stop:
    http://www.coldsteel.com/vdsc.html
    They also make some canes that double as excellent weapons. Canemasters also makes good canes, but I'm not so keen on their videos.

Leave a comment:

• JustaFighter
    replied

http://www.geocities.com/glendoyle/bata/

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Some hapkido schools do teach the rattan cane.
    I've seen a little and while some of the things *looked* cool, they were more for show or demo and probably wouldn't be practical.....except against this form of attack:

Leave a comment:

• TKD Black Belt
    replied
    I second the gun....

Failing that, if the neighborhood is that dangerous than he was in danger before the injury what makes you think it will be worse now?

Tell him if he's really worried to go out and buy a solid walking stick. One or two cracks from that will be enough to deter most people.

TKD

Leave a comment:

• plasma
    replied
    Originally posted by sempaiman
    How about carrying a gun and learning how to shoot.........
    Sadly not all people live in a free country like the United States. I don't think private citzens in Nazi-Zealand can carry firearms.

Leave a comment:

• illegalusername
    replied
    MOTHERFUCKING CANE SWORDS

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X