Guess who's doing wushu again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lebell
    I bet you look real gay in those silly silk outfits.
    are there any hot asian babes in class?
    thats the only good thing about wushu.
    Fortunately, I still do BJJ, so my sexual identity will not be thrown into question by my wushu silks. It's impossible to look gay while rolling no-gi and stuck in guard.

Sorry, I know BJJ gay jokes are out of style, but it seemed appropriate.

Comment

you forgot to tell me if there were any hot asian babes in your wushu class.

Comment

:needpics:
        you forgot to tell me if there were any hot asian babes in your wushu class.

Comment

Do you have authentic sound effects in wushu? If it doesn't sound as good as 'Water Margins' it can't be authentic, you know (LOL).

I've watched a little of local wushu and although I may manage a bit of Tai Chi or Chi Gung, the postures and acrobatics of Wushu are way beyond anything I could take up now (age 53). Maybe if I'd started 30 or 40 years ago...?

There is a guy local to me (SW England) who has a really good reputation and seems to travel/lead groups back to China regularly for further training. If it's of use to anyone, here's the link:
          http://www.shaolinacademy.co.uk/index.html

Comment

LOL MANDANCING!

Comment

Mandancing indeed - and with flexible weapons! (LOL)

But they do mention massage with Chinese girls, so it can't be as gay as these here 'gayrapplers', as they call them hillbilly yogi bare no-gi hug-and-buggers.

I'm definitely more a 'Water Margins' guy than a 'Deliverance' guy, although I do have a compound Barnett bow and arrows, and I don't reckon even Shaolin monks could catch one of them in flight! ;)
              Last edited by kiaiki; 9/18/2007 12:17pm, .

Comment

No, there weren't any terribly hot asian babes there. Unless twelve year old girls are your thing, in which case you may be a danger to those around you.
                There are a surprising amount of cool sound effects in wushu. In Chanqquan, you have a lot of jumps and kicks where you slap your foot. In addition to producing a neat little sound effect, I find it puts less strain on the hip (particularly for tornado kicks).
                Not the best example, but you can see some here:
                Weapons like the staff and three section cudgel also produces a lot of neat sound effects when you slap them against the ground.
                And of course, there are the noises the leightweight swords make when you wobble them.

Comment

Guess it's a bit like using a katana - one indicator of when your cut is good is the sound.

The noise of a flexible blade is awesome, one I've heard in Kalari weapons too. In a unconnected example, I worked in a paper mill where the steel blades used to cut the rolls were 12 feet long razor sharp thin steel. They coiled up into a roll for disposal. One idiot tied up the roll with string - the noise of them uncurling was fantastic - the noise he made was less so (deep leg wound LOL - never liked him ;) ).

Comment

ok boys take it to the chinese martial arts style forums..cma.
                    this is getting silly.

Comment

ok boys take it to the chinese martial arts style forums..cma.
                      this is getting silly.
                      Doh! I thought YMAS was supposed to be the place to be silly!

Ok, Lebell has spoken. Ignore him at your peril: Put the flexible weapons away guys. Yes, that means YOU too ! Oh, how I hate these attacks on donut dunking Daoists!

Comment

Originally posted by kiaiki
                        Doh! I thought YMAS was supposed to be the place to be silly!

Ok, Lebell has spoken. Ignore him at your peril: Put the flexible weapons away guys. Yes, that means YOU too ! Oh, how I hate these attacks on donut dunking Daoists!
                        im simply trying to protect you from yourselves.
                        if you insist, then by all means do carry on.

Comment

On a more serious note, try to do all the aerial kicks, and as a matter of fact all the kicks equally, on both sides. Doing the reactionary "right leg only" for jump kicks will cause serious muscle imbalances that lead to long term injuries. No bullshit. China is known for turning out short term athletes and discarding them when they stop performing. All that explosiveness in one direction, with out compensating is not worth it, unless you think you have what it takes to be the next Jet Li/Jackie Wu. If not, heed my advice and knock out all your kicks on both legs. Better yet, if any of the kicks tweak your back, drop them from your routine. A hobby shouldn't cripple you. There is a long article by Bryant Fong about this on the web, some say Fong's an asshole (most of his ex students) and he scammed the wu shu team by making a series of tapes with out paying them, but his article is right on the money. I've always liked Bryant, so read on-

http://www.sfwushu.net/essays/difficulties.html

Comment

Originally posted by new2bjj
                            On a more serious note, try to do all the aerial kicks, and as a matter of fact all the kicks equally, on both sides. Doing the reactionary "right leg only" for jump kicks will cause serious muscle imbalances that lead to long term injuries. No bullshit. China is known for turning out short term athletes and discarding them when they stop performing. All that explosiveness in one direction, with out compensating is not worth it, unless you think you have what it takes to be the next Jet Li/Jackie Wu. If not, heed my advice and knock out all your kicks on both legs. Better yet, if any of the kicks tweak your back, drop them from your routine. A hobby shouldn't cripple you. There is a long article by Bryant Fong about this on the web, some say Fong's an asshole (most of his ex students) and he scammed the wu shu team by making a series of tapes with out paying them, but his article is right on the money. I've always liked Bryant, so read on-

http://www.sfwushu.net/essays/difficulties.html
                            Thanks for the heads up. Previously, I've mostly only done flying kicks off the right leg. I'll start alternating them from now on.

Comment

OK, now I'm convinced - way too serious for YMAS.

Are you psychic Labelle?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X