Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one get started?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How does one get started?

    Alright, my friends and I were watching UFC and I began to wonder how one gets on the show The Ultimate Fighter, which it ran a commercial for. I've checked the website and there doesnt seem to be much about registration or anything. Does one have to be a professional fighter to begin with? I ask this out of curiosity mostly, as I'm in no shape to compete. Also, if there is a thread about this already I apologize in advance.

    #2
    greetings.most states are starting to crack down on mma fights,at least in the midwest.claim its too dangerous.so first find a good school that teaches mma and ask about the local laws regarding mma fights.if you want to get into shape an learn some defense find a good bjj/judo school.then get off the sofa and have some fun.cheers.

    Comment


      #3
      to answer your question...they hold tryouts that the advertise on their website. The first day is all grappling. Based on how one does there, they may or may not be invited to day 2 which includes striking and an interview. Then they make their decision.

      Comment


        #4
        You can't just go on The Ultimate Fighter. You probably need to have a damn good MMA resume.

        Find a nearby MMA gym and train like an animal. Depending on how old you are, you may or may not get good enough by the time you get too old to do pro MMA.

        Originally posted by in sorte diabol
        greetings.most states are starting to crack down on mma fights,at least in the midwest.claim its too dangerous.so first find a good school that teaches mma and ask about the local laws regarding mma fights.if you want to get into shape an learn some defense find a good bjj/judo school.then get off the sofa and have some fun.cheers.
        Use spaces after sentences. Why is it so fucking hard to do?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Yamaneko
          Alright, my friends and I were watching UFC and I began to wonder how one gets on the show The Ultimate Fighter, which it ran a commercial for. I've checked the website and there doesnt seem to be much about registration or anything. Does one have to be a professional fighter to begin with? I ask this out of curiosity mostly, as I'm in no shape to compete. Also, if there is a thread about this already I apologize in advance.
          Yes, you must already be a pro-fighter with an impressive record... I have a feeling that's all you need to hear.

          Comment


            #6
            Come on, there were some right fucking lemons on the last TUF (admittedly the only series I've seen to date).

            Weems anyone? I won't knock the guy for his brass balls, but no way did he have anything but the most cursory experience before getting on the show.

            Comment


              #7
              From what I have read and heard, you need to have a reasonably good MMA game and at least a few amateur wins. But being the best fighter in the room doesn't get you the gig - you are not trying out for a training camp, you are auditioning for a TV show, remember. At the auditions, they don't necessarily pick the best fighters, they pick reasonable fighters whose personalities will make for good TV (agressive, smart aleck, pranksters, shit-talkers, other gimmicks). You've seen some of the shitheadery that goes on in the fighter house - that's what a lot of people watch the show for.

              None of that is personal experience, mind you, just hearsay from people who have been to audtions and the like.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Lu Tze
                Come on, there were some right fucking lemons on the last TUF (admittedly the only series I've seen to date).

                Weems anyone? I won't knock the guy for his brass balls, but no way did he have anything but the most cursory experience before getting on the show.
                yeah, but he made up for it with his charm, wit, and photogenic good looks.

                Comment

                Collapse

                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                Working...
                X