No announcement yet.

"Lost" footage from Game of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought there was supposed to be a fight against a wing chun guy aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by namaste
      i thought there was supposed to be a fight against a wing chun guy aswell?
      Karate Guys were on the bottom, on the outside of the tower. There is a posed picture of Lee fighting them off. I think he was going to have the guy from Way of the Dragon, Whang Ink Sik, play their leader. Then, on the first floor, he was too fight Taky Kimura, who would represent Northern Preying Mantis. Never heard about a Wing Chun guy.

Comment

I think the point Lee had been trying to make with Kareem Abdul Jabbar was that all things being equal the bigger and the stronger guy has an advantage. He was probably sniping at the myth, esp. in Wing Chun circles, that if you behave in certain ways you can make size and strength differences not important.

Also, there was pretty good grappling in those scenes for that time period. Consider how in all the kungfu films prior coming out of Hong Kong there was an exclusive emphasis on standup, but in these scenes Lee attempts a judo pin and a carotid artery choke. That is very primitive grappling by today's standards but I think it was pretty advanced in the context of most asian martial arts in the 70s.

Comment

It's unbelievable how every nuthuggers of his always manage to find the "point that Bruce Lee was making", and it's never the same.

Pretty good grappling for that time period? I've seen several Japanese movies from that same period of time wich had a much better "grappling" (and I'm pretty sure there are older movies with better grappling too), and an old movie in wich the grappling is also much better (the choreographer was a judo ka actually) (and I've seen this one on bullshido).

Apparently the martial art scene from that period was limited to karate and kung fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Sokaku
            It's unbelievable how every nuthuggers of his always manage to find the "point that Bruce Lee was making", and it's never the same.

Pretty good grappling for that time period? I've seen several Japanese movies from that same period of time wich had a much better "grappling" (and I'm pretty sure there are older movies with better grappling too), and an old movie in wich the grappling is also much better (the choreographer was a judo ka actually) (and I've seen this one on bullshido).

Apparently the martial art scene from that period was limited to karate and kung fu.
            you're kidding, right I mean, maybe SOME Japanese movies had some good Judo, but there was plenty of crap from Sonny Chiba, etc. I think the one thing that was interesting to most people was that all the Karate Kung Fu moives treated Judo/Wrestling as if it was easy to defeat. "Oh, he's just grabbing me, watch this!" Whereas, Bruce Lee finished guys off with Guillotines and Chokes. Sure, he wasn't a great grappler, but it's a movie, and a lot of the people that got into this was because of watching his movies. He wasn't ALL that, but neither was Clint Eastwood or Steve McQueen.

Comment

Finally got to watch this stuff. It's like night and day comparing this stuff with the finished product.

Comment

I like the concept of Game Of Death..different stylists on each level and all that. It could have been pretty good.
                I hate the way it turned out though, and refuse to buy it on principle. Thanks for the footage, I have never seen that before.

Comment

Oh, "several" Japanese films had better grappling, and you're "pretty sure" that there were older ones with better grappling?

I'm not convinced that you're just trolling this thread. For the love of god, how much Japanese martial arts cinema from the 70s have you seen? I've been watching a lot of pulp Japanese DVDs bought in Chinatown and I haven't seen a single instance of grappling. I've been watching a lot of Sonny Chiba lately and his films revolve entirely around Chiba grimacing, using melodramatic flying kicks, and chamber punches that make peoples' teeth fall out. (Did you ever see "The Bodyguard"? The prothetics really fly in that one.) Recently I've also watched the film that inspired the video game Samurai Shodown; I don't know that the Japanese title was but it was released in the US as "Samurai Resurrection". As is typical with films of that genre you see a lot of backflips and gymnastics-style acrobatics, but no grappling at all.

Hell, even "Sanshiro", Kurosawa's famous Judo epic, actually doesn't have good grappling in it. It has a throw that results in someone flying parallel to the ground into a wall and dying. It's incredibly stylized and looks nothing like real judo grappling.

So I don't really know what you're talking about. I think you're either trolling, or you just think that you're cool and with it because you can go into a thread where people are talking about Lee in a historical context and then start accusing everyone of nuthugging.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
                    Oh, "several" Japanese films had better grappling, and you're "pretty sure" that there were older ones with better grappling?

I'm not convinced that you're just trolling this thread. For the love of god, how much Japanese martial arts cinema from the 70s have you seen? I've been watching a lot of pulp Japanese DVDs bought in Chinatown and I haven't seen a single instance of grappling. I've been watching a lot of Sonny Chiba lately and his films revolve entirely around Chiba grimacing, using melodramatic flying kicks, and chamber punches that make peoples' teeth fall out. (Did you ever see "The Bodyguard"? The prothetics really fly in that one.) Recently I've also watched the film that inspired the video game Samurai Shodown; I don't know that the Japanese title was but it was released in the US as "Samurai Resurrection". As is typical with films of that genre you see a lot of backflips and gymnastics-style acrobatics, but no grappling at all.

Hell, even "Sanshiro", Kurosawa's famous Judo epic, actually doesn't have good grappling in it. It has a throw that results in someone flying parallel to the ground into a wall and dying. It's incredibly stylized and looks nothing like real judo grappling.

So I don't really know what you're talking about. I think you're either trolling, or you just think that you're cool and with it because you can go into a thread where people are talking about Lee in a historical context and then start accusing everyone of nuthugging.
                    I have to agree, especially the remark about Sanshiro Sugata- that dude flew forever!

Comment

haven't seen that since the DVD came out. good find.

Comment

Originally posted by new2bjj
                        you're kidding, right I mean, maybe SOME Japanese movies had some good Judo, but there was plenty of crap from Sonny Chiba, etc. I think the one thing that was interesting to most people was that all the Karate Kung Fu moives treated Judo/Wrestling as if it was easy to defeat. "Oh, he's just grabbing me, watch this!" Whereas, Bruce Lee finished guys off with Guillotines and Chokes. Sure, he wasn't a great grappler, but it's a movie, and a lot of the people that got into this was because of watching his movies. He wasn't ALL that, but neither was Clint Eastwood or Steve McQueen.
                        I've seen a couple of movies with good grappling sequences (at least on BL's level if not more), like the Wicked Priest (Gokudo Bozu) with Tomisaburo Wakayama. I've never said a lot of them or most of them, I did say however that I've seen several movies (wich may be a bit exagerated).

No I'm not trolling, I just had to point out the fact that a freaking lot of his nuthuggers manage to find out the "point that Bruce Lee was making" whenever the latter does something. It annoys me. I've got nothing against Lee whatsoever, I do have something against a lot of his fans though. Probably has something to do with the fact that I've been arguing with a couple of his nuthuggers recently (who think he would have beat the crap out of most MMA fighters).

I'm not saying I'm an expert of Japanese movies, I may have exagerated a little bit by saying "several movies", but I do remember having seen grappling used in the wicked priest movies and one or 2 other movies I can't remember. And of course, that other really old movie (in black and white) of wich I've only seen the fighting scene where two guys are fighting each other and it goes to the ground a couple of times.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not like Bruce Lee's grappling use in his movies was high level or even average either. So I don't see what's the difference. The only thing is that Bruce Lee was obviously much more famous and still is. But I seriously doubt that anyone who took interest in grappling had that interest thanks to Bruce Lee's movies.

Comment

Ya have to give Bruce Lee credit for doing alot for MA films in general. He was an innovative martial artist and he transfered that over to the big screen. Bruce Lee's MA philosophy and theory are pretty damn intresting. Concentrating more on fluidity than rigid stance or style I believe is the way to go. The guy was only 33 years old when he died...he didn't have the time to finalize his work in the martial arts. Is he going to be wrong in some aspects? Of course. Not everyone is the perfect martial artist. Just as there is no perfect fighting style.

Comment

........ I've got nothing against Lee whatsoever, I do have something against a lot of his fans though. Probably has something to do with the fact that I've been arguing with a couple of his nuthuggers recently (who think he would have beat the crap out of most MMA fighters).

I do find the Bruce Lee speculations to be extremely tiresome. Nobody knows what would have happened if he hadn't died, and people just can't seem to let it go. The speculations I've read (like BL vs. Rickson Gracie or BL. vs. Mike Tyson/Muhammad Ali, for example) are just retarded. It's like wondering if Miyamoto Musashi could beat the Highlander......it's pointless, and it's never going happen.

Comment

Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey is a bonus on the 2004 Special Edition Enter the Dragon.

Comment

Originally posted by Zub-Zub
                                I do find the Bruce Lee speculations to be extremely tiresome. Nobody knows what would have happened if he hadn't died, and people just can't seem to let it go. The speculations I've read (like BL vs. Rickson Gracie or BL. vs. Mike Tyson/Muhammad Ali, for example) are just retarded. It's like wondering if Miyamoto Musashi could beat the Highlander......it's pointless, and it's never going happen.
                                My money is on the highlander. He's immortal.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X