Tapping in a streetfight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapping in a streetfight

This question goes out to all you filthy sportfighters out there. If you were in a streetfight and your opponent tapped, do you think you would let go out of conditioned reflex?

I've often wondered about this myself as, after six years of BJJ, the reflex is pretty damned ingrained into my psyche. Fortunately none of the morons I've gotten into altercations with since I started training BJJ have seemed to be familar with the tap anyway.

I'm curious as to what the rest of you think? Please think about your answer and do your best to respond honestly. Also it might be helpful if you let us know how long you've been training in sportfighting because of the possibility that newer students haven't become fully accustomed to letting go instantly when someone taps.

I know this subject has been brought up in various threads in the past, but I think it deserves it's own thread at this point. Plus, I never start threads despite having ideas for them regularly so I'm trying to change that, but fear not, I won't go all Kempofist on you guys.
    Shut the hell up and train.

No one would have a chance to tap against me!!!!!

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

(because I would probably loose)

Comment

in the last year or so, I've had 2 situations at our club where after we took the guy down, and 'restrained' him, he'd start tapping
      both times we had to remind the guy that tapping isn't an option on the street...and then proceed to to choke the bitch out

one scenario was from rear mount, RNC
      second scenario, quite recent, dude flat out wanted to fight. wasnt even in the club, just a passer by, lookin to start shit with anyone. So one of our guys was game scrap it out. Long story short, he sinks a standinggullitine choke, the dude started tapping, it went down to the ground, so he was promptly let go in favor of soccer kicks to the his melon til i heard the whip of an extendable baton come out and realized cops were walkin up our way....nothin happend to either party... cops just told the instigator to dissapear

Comment

Last week, this cocksucker on the UG (Sam Pai Kenpo) brought this up. Apparently some fag wrote an article on it in a recent Black Belt magazine and SPK, a TMA troll on the UG, thought it would be funny to troll BJJ.

Having intentionally popped people's arms and choked them out when they wouldn't tap, I don't feel I'd have a problem with this. I don't think I have a "reflex" associated with tapping, it's a mental process I go through as I'm applying the submission, I think "I don't want to break this guy's arm, because we're just training, so I will be controlled in my application and let go when he submits" if the guy is an obnoxious fuck, then I don't even do that in training, it's full force, but if he can tap quick enough, he can avoid injury, and in a streetfight, that's all out the window, I WANT to break his arm, the application will NOT be controlled, I will be throwing so much weight into it that he's breaking or passing out before he has a chance to give up.

Full force jointlocks do not involve the kind of slow, methodical application that goes with training, but when I'm up against somebody significantly better than me, I go full force anyway, and I count on them to know how to slow me down and (potentially) submit before any damage is done. I have limited experience doing this against anyone who sucks, but of the several times I have, their joints are just at my mercy and if I'm applying with intent, will be destroyed too quickly for tapping to do anything before the crying starts.

On a lighter note, watching a grown man cry due to pain is always, always funny.

Another guy from my club has broken several arms, torn out several shoulders, and choked out several people in multiple attacker scenarios, and there was no tapping.
        Last edited by Roidie McDouchebag; 8/01/2007 9:19pm, .

Comment

I will admit in the past I've done some stupid things in streetfights that are definitely bred from my training methodolgy. However thinking about your question I doubt letting go of a hold from a tap would be an option were it to occur. My mindset is completely different when it comes to reality and barriers I have in training are not there.

edit - the more I think about it and re-run things I have done in streetfights the more apparent my answer is. I think my problem is I go completely in the opposite direction and try to mess people up. I'm not sure it's intentional but more of a blinded by rage and anger issue.
          Last edited by Red Elvis; 8/01/2007 9:26pm, .

Comment

in all fairness tho, in my line of work, we do restrain ourselves
            the kimura can be applied nicely and securely without worrying about the reflex of letting go off a tap i think....u can ease up on the hold but still keep it locked, until u r 100% sure this guy is done (but of course, not until after u hear a few lil pops in the elbow/shoulder first for good measure)

same with the RNC, when they start to comply with our instructions to relax or calm down, or 'let go of whatever he's grabbing" we'll ease up the choke a little bit, but at first sign of struggle again, he's goin to sleep....its always easier to deal with them when they pass out, and wake up with a knee on belly or neck/head =)

thats just my experience, and mind u, these are almost always security situations where someone is watchin our backs so we can make safe judgement calls.

seen plenty of grown men cry, its a beautiful thing

Comment

Too bad JFS doesn't post here anymore - he could offer his perspective from the tappee side.

Comment

What line of work?

Comment

Originally posted by HANKtheTANK
                  in all fairness tho, in my line of work, we do restrain ourselves
                  You're in a slightly different boat as you need to be more restrained. Bouncing must be a pain in the ass as I know you just want to go to town on stupid people. I'm not sure I'd have the restraint. Hats off to you.

Comment

I let people admit to being wrong during altercations....or let them just fuck off away from me....I'm not vindictive. I've crunched a few fingers in anger (don't know if they broke, don't care)...there was no time for them to say ow....I honestly don't think I could break an arm...a little pathetic, but I know my limits....I've grabbed and controlled idiots (sound dirty?) plenty of times, to avoid hurting them. If that isn't enough, I can bang them out with my hands...just couldn't snap that shit.

EDIT: Bouncers rule! keep us musicians safe from the drunks and rudeboys and ex girlfriends....much RESPECT:toothy10::hello2:
                    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 8/01/2007 9:35pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
                      What line of work?
                      nightclub security

Comment

I think the best option is to just not fight in t3h str33t. Unless someone really asks for it. Then it's Gong Sau time.

Comment

If it's a choke, no way. The pressure is easy to modify and I would be thinking about my goal. If it's a joint lock that has been put on in a rushed manner, maybe. If I have an intent to hurt, though, I think that things will be finished before the person has a chance to tap. If I have good control, I might loosen up a bit to re-evaluate, but that's another story.

I'm more likely to prematurely ease up from striking, ala Osiris vs. JFS.

Comment

Originally posted by CX1329
                            I think the best option is to just not fight in t3h str33t. Unless someone really asks for it. Then it's Gong Sau time.
                            That leads into my next question. Define street fight. What is your definition JNP? My definition has changed drastically over the years now that I have a wife, a home, et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
                              Full force jointlocks do not involve the kind of slow, methodical application that goes with training...
                              Excellent point.
                              Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X