Old fart's thread. Nobody under the age of 34;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old fart's thread. Nobody under the age of 34;

I just got done talking to my student who keeps getting into silly confrontations, which is why I wrote this bit of an anecdote.

You know what the problem with young posters are? They're not jaded enough and not enough wisdom. Yeah I finally hit that point in my life where I've gotten enough young guys talking to me and I'm thinking "Shit I remember when I thought I knew it all and then was proven wrong or realized it didn't matter".

I have this young kid who wants to be on my fight team. 17 years old, really tough but ignorant. A month ago he comes up to me "why do you teach that kung-fu crap?". I bust up laughing let everybody in the room know what he said, eveybody busts up laughing.

A few weeks later he's cruising through the kung-fu class he goes "when did you start this class?" I told him I've always had this class. He goes "no you usually do kung-fu here not mma". I told him "this is kung-fu", he says "you guys do this in kung fu?".....I walked away.

Fuck you.

Comment

They say 40 is the new 30. Which puts me in my mid 20's.

Seriously though, I married late (27), had kids lates, changed my MA training at 32, changed careers at 33 and am in the best shape of my life since High School now, at the age of 35. In many ways, I feel like I've just begun (I mean that in a good way) and have yet to even hit my peak. And though there's certainly some "dreams" it may be too late for, I've still got a lot of years left to accomplish a lot of stuff.

The difference between now and when I was actually in my 20's is that, as Omega said, I have some wisdom. I also have knowledge enough to know what I want and how to get it.

...Which, in the end, really has nothing to do with the OP! Heh. Sorry, O.

Comment

And here I thought this was going to be a bitch session about how much longer the recovery cycle is when you're over 30. Well, I'm 35, it is, and it sucks ass.

Oh, and I agree. Those fucking kids don't know shit.

Comment

Maybe so but we have time to learn while you rot and your bones crumble away.

Comment

At 40 I apply myself better to training than I ever did in my 20's, and concur with being in better physical shape on the strength/cardio/ability front. On the durability front I have noticed some decline, but not as much as when I didn't train.

Wisdom seems to be something acquired after I had wasted the youth to put it to better use.
            If you can't laugh at yourself,
            Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Comment

Ha

I started everything early

At 35 I have a 14 year old, 10 year old and 8 year old

The teenager is interesting because he knows everything and I am always wrong

The amount of stupid things he does or his views on how things work would be funny if I didn't hear myself saying all the things my parents said and him saying all the things I said back

I owe my Mom and Dad a huge apology

Comment

You are all friggin spring chickens!!!!

Last month, this guy wanders in to our club. He's a 3rd degree black belt in jiu-jitsu, his old club recently closed, and he wants to keep active, so he was checking us out. His birthday is..........wait for it...........February 29, 1924.

Yep. He's 83 years old.

This guy is a WWII vet - he was in the Canadian navy, landed on every beach there was to land on. Talks about the beaches or Normandy, of Vimy Ridge. He took up MA in the 1970s for fitness, and has infinite patience for his progression in it - it took him 14 years to move from brown belt to black.

He comes out to the club usually 4 days a week, does as much of the warm up as he can manage and works out with everyone from the hotheads to the teenagers. He is pretty much limited in the moves he can do now - he does a lot of wrist throws and sweep takedowns, and won't do any moves where you bear a lot of your opponents weight (like hip throws) but he is active and works out for 1.5 hours nearly every day.

Please God, let me be like him when I am 83!!

And here's the reason why I am still so proud of my husband - when he asked Patrick how much his membership cost, Patrick looked at the 83 year old war vetran and said "Dude, you paid". Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt W.
                  They say 40 is the new 30. Which puts me in my mid 20's.

Seriously though, I married late (27), had kids lates, changed my MA training at 32, changed careers at 33 and am in the best shape of my life since High School now, at the age of 35. In many ways, I feel like I've just begun (I mean that in a good way) and have yet to even hit my peak. And though there's certainly some "dreams" it may be too late for, I've still got a lot of years left to accomplish a lot of stuff.

The difference between now and when I was actually in my 20's is that, as Omega said, I have some wisdom. I also have knowledge enough to know what I want and how to get it.

...Which, in the end, really has nothing to do with the OP! Heh. Sorry, O.
                  Why do you consider getting married at 27 to be late?

Comment

Truthfully, it's only a couple years later than the average (in the US). But it's near 30. And then waiting 5 years to have kids. Meh. It does seem a bit late in life to be starting a family.

Comment

Here's how it works

when you're in your 20's you think your smart and no longer a dumb teenager

When you hit your 30's you realize you were still dumb in your 20's and likely to be dumb in your 30's

When you hit 40 you realize you were indeed still dumb in your 30's going to be dumb in your 40's and more likely going to remain dumb for the rest of your life

Once you realize you're dumb then you can start avoiding big mistakes you can then pass off being smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Soju - Joe
                        Once you realize you're dumb then you can start avoiding big mistakes you can then pass off being smart.
                        Plus the real wisdom of the ages is knowing, for sure, "this too shall pass."

I wouldn't go back to 20 for anything, but damn it would be nice to be able to party and still work out heavy the next day.

Comment

First off, FUCK YOU OMEGA!!!!:ingun:

Originally posted by Soju - Joe
                          Here's how it works

when you're in your 20's you think your smart and no longer a dumb teenager

When you hit your 30's you realize you were still dumb in your 20's and likely to be dumb in your 30's

When you hit 40 you realize you were indeed still dumb in your 30's going to be dumb in your 40's and more likely going to remain dumb for the rest of your life

I say the same things to new troops all the time, but few ever believe me.
                          ______
                          Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                          -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                          The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                          -Daniel Tosh

Comment

My kid's Judo teacher is 80+, he started studying Judo in WW2 in Pearl Harbor. He's not as active as he used to be with adults, but his observations are still sharp. Two weeks ago he had some criticisms of my ukemi, and had me out on the mat in my work clothes before my kid's class, lol.

I'm an old fart too, 42. I started training just over a year ago. Training hard has taken nearly 60lbs off my formerly fat ass.

Realistically, I doubt if I'll ever be in a real fight again in my life, but training is fun, and beats the hell out of jogging or other boring shit for exercise. I'm entering my second BJJ tournament this weekend in the novice masters class--should be fun, even if I get owned.

Comment

The other day I say to my wife "you know, i was thinking about how there really is no need to let everyone know when they piss me off. i can just let it go and not raise my blood pressure. i cant change the world anyway."

she looked at me and said "you're 32 and just coming to this realization?"

i think men just take a lot longer to figure it out.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X