Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracky trolls a paraplegic TKD instructor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracky trolls a paraplegic TKD instructor.

[TK - This is the 2nd half tangent discussion from this post.]

So far as not teaching the art. I know of a TKD school, (one of the oldest around) only teaches kicks with the right leg. How can this be teaching an art? I had a blackbelt from them come to me so he could use his left, (stronger) leg to kick. . They charge almost 3 times as much as I do. (same school with a 5 year old blackbelt) But then Superfoot always always used only his left leg to kick....*shrug*
    That being said, I do teach self-defense. I only address stand up situations. Once it goes to the ground I bring in qualified grappling instructors as I cannot adequately "tell" someone what to do. For those who take both TKD AND KJKB they are becoming well-rounded fighters. To those students who do not train to take it to the ground......at least I offered and I don't bull them into believing that TKD alone would allow them to perservere in any particular fight.
    I think a distinction should be made here though. I do not teach "fighting". I teach TKD and I teach practical "SELF-DEFENSE." Learning to fight up to the level of UFC starts is superb and I have a world of respect for those guys. (Why no women in the UFC yet I wonder? Too much for the viewer's palate?) BUT, as I said, anyone with actual martial practice (of which in my case would include boxing and wrestling) to the point of proficiency would win most fights encountered as the lout that starts fights USUALLY has no training. He may be able to take a punch, but still, no training usually = not getting the crap beat out of you. heck, I tell my students if they feel they are being bested to flee. Run away! I'm sure they don't do that in the UFC. But then I don't teach how to fight, I teach how to defend, which may include no actual fighting whatsoever.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 7/09/2007 7:33pm, . Reason: 2nd half of a tangent

How long has it been that you've known the value in it, yet refused to learn how to grapple?

Comment

How long has it been that you've known the value in it, yet refused to learn how to grapple?

Not sure if the question was addressing me or not but:

I don't refuse to learn to grapple. I was just doing a small amount of mat work with a BBJ student last Thursday. He could have killed me with elbow strikes. I'm working on being on my back while the person over me pummels at me. I made the improvement of tucking my elbows in to protect my kidney and ribs. I found it was easy to flash out a strike or two while regaining the elbow position. Gotta do better though.
      So far as the grappling being a value I've known that all my life. Even as a kid in the slums I learned some grappling if only by default after being taken down.
      Had I known I was going to become paraplegic I would have entered a grappling style. So now I train in many methods when the opportunity affords itself.
      Something I noticed is that when I test my blackbelts in self-defense they almost always add hapkido to their strikes. So I am fully aware of ground skills, which is why my school teaches Kajikembo now. As I open up other locations I plan on making deals with other instructors to teach their style out of my school.
      After learning what a shyster my former GM was, I went on my own. Since doing that I have had to re-learn some things that I took for granted. (especially concerning the history but some hapkido techniques as well)
      I'm all for MMA's. I just think one needs to be grounded in one art before attempting to learn several.

Comment

Wait a second, you're a paraplegic TKD instructor who uses the guard?

Comment

Originally posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
          Wait a second, you're a paraplegic TKD instructor who uses the guard?
          Not exactly. I am a parapalegic TKD instructor. As a wheelchair pilot I realize that if I get taken down to the ground it could be the end of me. Anyone of normal size I can do a bit with. But I look for big guys and this big guy was 6'5". I was trying to figure out the best way to protect myself if some big guy who was big enough to wail on me without having to bend down to strike. This young man suggested that instead of keeping my arms in motion, (something showed to me by a kung fu artist) it may be more effective to tuck my chin, place my finger tips barely on my eyebrows and tuck my elbows in to protect my ribs and face. By keeping my hands splayed enough to see through I was able to strike and regain the tucked elbow position. My ultimate goal in such a scenario would be to trap the guys arm(s) and work my way up to his head. That is something I have found easy to do with TKD practioneers. But the BJJ guy who towered above me was not affected by strikes to his steel abs. He also showed me that if I were to get in the grip he could still easily use his elbows with devastating effect. That's why I say back to the drawing board.

But since I am parapalegic I cannot raise my knee up to better protect myself. My legs are dead weight. The only advantage they could give me is if some guy thought he could hurt me by trapping out my legs. I would be injured, (most likely) but I would not be feeling any pain so I would continue to attack with my upper body. But even that is not much of an advantage.
          I am about to take an entire course from an excellent instructor on pressure point fighting. I know several pressure point applications but they just don't serve me well when I am pinned flat on my back by a huge guy who is for the most part out of my reach.

I constantly review and often change some of the techniques that are available to me from my friends in other arts. (and I have plenty) But if I cannot perform any shown technique I scrap it. It's not the technique that is bad, it is that my being paralyzed prevents me from even rolling to one side. So many applications that involve a shift in body stance are useless for me. Which is why I am going to Kentucky to study "Agression Control System". It is taught by a GM H. Cook. He also founded the "Nighthawks". Louisville's version of the Guardian Angels. He has taught his system to many police agencies just as I plan to do. (I'm not just taking the course but the week-long follow up that shows I haven't only learned the skills, but understand how they work so that I can teach them). Still won't make me superman, but certainly better able to defend myself.
          Last edited by Bill Auvenshine; 6/07/2007 8:19am, .

Comment

Mr. Auvenshine

Not exactly. I am a parapalegic TKD instructor.
            Forgive me if I find that almost completely pointless. I had to google you, just to make sure this wasn't a joke, but seeing as it's real...it's still ridiculous, of all things TKD...when you can't ever kick...WHY?

As a wheelchair pilot I realize that if I get taken down to the ground it could be the end of me. Anyone of normal size I can do a bit with.
            *Anyone of normal size AND no fighting ability whatsoever.

But I look for big guys and this big guy was 6'5". I was trying to figure out the best way to protect myself if some big guy who was big enough to wail on me without having to bend down to strike. This young man suggested that instead of keeping my arms in motion, (something showed to me by a kung fu artist) it may be more effective to tuck my chin, place my finger tips barely on my eyebrows and tuck my elbows in to protect my ribs and face. By keeping my hands splayed enough to see through I was able to strike and regain the tucked elbow position.
            A good idea, as long as they have no idea what's going on.

My ultimate goal in such a scenario would be to trap the guys arm(s) and work my way up to his head. That is something I have found easy to do with TKD practioneers.
            LOL

But the BJJ guy who towered above me was not affected by strikes to his steel abs. He also showed me that if I were to get in the grip he could still easily use his elbows with devastating effect. That's why I say back to the drawing board.
            Or...just give up? Buy a gun? Perhaps an under-wheelchair flamethrower or explosive device? I mean, nobody's going to fuck with you if you tell them you'll blow them up even if it kills you.

But since I am parapalegic I cannot raise my knee up to better protect myself. My legs are dead weight. The only advantage they could give me is if some guy thought he could hurt me by trapping out my legs. I would be injured, (most likely) but I would not be feeling any pain so I would continue to attack with my upper body. But even that is not much of an advantage.
            This is the part where I'd say better to leave well enough alone...when's the last time someone mugged you?

I am about to take an entire course from an excellent instructor on pressure point fighting. I know several pressure point applications but they just don't serve me well when I am pinned flat on my back by a huge guy who is for the most part out of my reach.
            You'll find they don't serve you at all against someone with a decent pain threshold.

I constantly review and often change some of the techniques that are available to me from my friends in other arts. (and I have plenty) But if I cannot perform any shown technique I scrap it. It's not the technique that is bad, it is that my being paralyzed prevents me from even rolling to one side. So many applications that involve a shift in body stance are useless for me. Which is why I am going to Kentucky to study "Agression Control System". It is taught by a GM H. Cook. He also founded the "Nighthawks". Louisville's version of the Guardian Angels. He has taught his system to many police agencies just as I plan to do. (I'm not just taking the course but the week-long follow up that shows I haven't only learned the skills, but understand how they work so that I can teach them). Still won't make me superman, but certainly better able to defend myself.
            Don't you feel like you're just fucking with cops if you try and teach them stuff? I mean, is there really ANY POINT AT ALL in you instructing people who are NOT in wheelchairs?

Comment

Culled from:
              http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53907
              Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
              "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
              Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
              Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
              Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
              Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
              Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
              I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
              TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
              ATTN TOM KAGAN
              World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
              Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
              I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
              Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

This is probably the best thread title I've ever read on Bullshido. The only thing that would have made me click on it faster is if it also had NSFW in there.

Comment

Same with me, I laughed as soon as I read it.
                  Originally posted by Cullion
                  You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
                  Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Comment

Cracky wins! Best thread evah!!
                    安氏八极拳学生

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin.74
                      Cracky wins! Best thread evah!!
                      Ditto.
                      ______
                      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                      -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                      -Daniel Tosh

Comment

This thread is the reason I read Bullshido.

Comment

What's next? Knock him over CrackY!! Yeah!!
                          Originally posted by Cullion
                          You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
                          Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Comment

Stickie plz
                            "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Is this shit for real?

A Paraplegic TKD instructor sounds like something right out of a South Park episode.
                              <insert witty comment>

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X