Dilemma/Whining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma/Whining

I've got this dilemma that I was hoping I could get some help with.

My dilemma is that for as long as I've been involved in martial arts, I have wanted to teach professionally. The art that I started with was Tae Kwon Do, and I've put the most time and planning into TKD than any other art I've studied. Recently, I've been sort of internally at odds with TKD, because it sucks.

I've been involved in MA for almost 9 years now, and I'm turning 23 in a month. I really want to be a teacher still, but I want to teach a martial art that actually serves the purpose for which it was created - TKD feels empty for me because it doesn't do that, and feels like as much of a sport as baseball. For the same reasons that I don't want to devote my life to baseball, I also don't want to devote my life to TKD anymore.

The problem is that I haven't seriously studied much of anything else, and I feel like its too late now to start something else and reach instructor level before I'm too old to care about anything. I also feel a desire to teach TKD and continue in my training there purely because I've already invested so much time, and it would probably be extremely easy for me to just do that.

So, what would you do if you were in my position? What would you suggest? Any other general thoughts would also be appreciated, especially hilarious ones.

Thanks for reading.

Yer that is a bit of a whine. Can you fight any good? I know you do TKD but there is a chance that you can fight and kick some ass, so can you? and why fo you want to teach?

Comment

Teaching should not be your primary goal, it should be being able to fight. Once you can do that yourself, then you can think about teaching others how.

My recommendation? Get your ass down to a kickboxing gym. Your forte so to speak at the moment is obviously stand-up striking. Now it's time for you to find out for yourself how good you are at it. If you're not....well then time to gets to some hard training :)
      Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
      ...Willing is not enough you must do
      ~Bruce Lee

Comment

There is always male prostitution.
        It's physical too.

Comment

Originally posted by KempoFist
          Teaching should not be your primary goal, it should be being able to fight. Once you can do that yourself, then you can think about teaching others how.
          Why not? What about schoolteachers? Nobody says "don't teach English, be a writer first and then look at teaching." Martial arts are no different. Of course, English teachers are typically class A writers, which qualifies them to judge everyone else, but really, they learned to write for the purpose of grading kids' writing. As a martial arts teacher, you have to be good at the art you teach, but having teaching as a primary goal is not a problem, as long as you realize that it will take double-long because you have to get good at the style before you get good at teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoww
            Why not? What about schoolteachers? Nobody says "don't teach English, be a writer first and then look at teaching." Martial arts are no different. Of course, English teachers are typically class A writers, which qualifies them to judge everyone else, but really, they learned to write for the purpose of grading kids' writing. As a martial arts teacher, you have to be good at the art you teach, but having teaching as a primary goal is not a problem, as long as you realize that it will take double-long because you have to get good at the style before you get good at teaching.
            Hahaha. You almost baited me with this one....nice....

English teachers understand and can write in english before they teach, just as Martial Artists have to be able to understand fighting and be able to fight before they teach.
            Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
            ...Willing is not enough you must do
            ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by ty5
              Yer that is a bit of a whine. Can you fight any good? I know you do TKD but there is a chance that you can fight and kick some ass, so can you? and why fo you want to teach?
              I'm decent. I haven't focused on TKD sparring in a long time, and have focused more on NHB-type of fighting.

I want to teach because I really like it. I taught in my old TKD school and it was awesome. I also don't want to do anything else that you could do with martial arts, like professionally fight or try to get into movies or something.

Comment

My recommendation? Get your ass down to a kickboxing gym. Your forte so to speak at the moment is obviously stand-up striking. Now it's time for you to find out for yourself how good you are at it. If you're not....well then time to gets to some hard training :)
                Well, I DO want to continue to improve my fighting game and become more and more well-rounded, but you really don't think my primary goal can be to teach? And what if I CAN fight? My dilemma doesn't go away all of a sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangent
                  I've got this dilemma that I was hoping I could get some help with.

My dilemma is that for as long as I've been involved in martial arts, I have wanted to teach professionally. The art that I started with was Tae Kwon Do, and I've put the most time and planning into TKD than any other art I've studied. Recently, I've been sort of internally at odds with TKD, because it sucks.

I've been involved in MA for almost 9 years now, and I'm turning 23 in a month. I really want to be a teacher still, but I want to teach a martial art that actually serves the purpose for which it was created - TKD feels empty for me because it doesn't do that, and feels like as much of a sport as baseball. For the same reasons that I don't want to devote my life to baseball, I also don't want to devote my life to TKD anymore.

The problem is that I haven't seriously studied much of anything else, and I feel like its too late now to start something else and reach instructor level before I'm too old to care about anything. I also feel a desire to teach TKD and continue in my training there purely because I've already invested so much time, and it would probably be extremely easy for me to just do that.

So, what would you do if you were in my position? What would you suggest? Any other general thoughts would also be appreciated, especially hilarious ones.

Thanks for reading.

First of all a 23 year old shouldn't be a head instructor unless he is way above average.

Second, go find yourself a Kyokushin Karate school, its what TKD should of been and you don't have to start from stratch.

Comment

You're 23? Do BJJ and you'll be at least purple by 30.

Comment

If it is what you truly want wait until your older and teach TKD. and you can maybe do side classes to expand your own knowledge.

Comment

Hahaha. You almost baited me with this one....nice....

English teachers understand and can write in english before they teach, just as Martial Artists have to be able to understand fighting and be able to fight before they teach.
                        I meant that they don't necessarily have to be stellar authors before they can go and start learning how to teach English. I was assuming that Tangent had at least some previous fighting experience... rereading the thread I guess he doesn't really. But my point remains, if he wants to be a teacher that's good for him, but you are right in that his short-term goals should be more fighting oriented.

I agree with Plasma though, go find a good Kyokushin school. Having a knowledge of grappling is also an interesting asset, even if you never plan on fighting or teaching MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasma
                          First of all a 23 year old shouldn't be a head instructor unless he is way above average.

Second, go find yourself a Kyokushin Karate school, its what TKD should of been and you don't have to start from stratch.
                          I didn't mean to insinuate that I wanted to own my own school and teach by myself right now. I know I have a ways to go still. I want to continue to train and get better at it, and also teach on the side now to gain experience with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Virus
                            You're 23? Do BJJ and you'll be at least purple by 30.
                            30 is really old.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tao
                              If it is what you truly want wait until your older and teach TKD. and you can maybe do side classes to expand your own knowledge.
                              It IS what I really want, but I don't think that I actually want to teach TKD.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X