black belt, or first dan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black belt, or first dan?

to your knowledge, is there a plain blackbelt, and then a 1st dan, or is blackbelt and 1st dan synonymous?

i've seen some apparent differences in systems, so i was just wondering. some students from my instructor who have their blackbelt have been told to "add their stripe already" by higher ranked instructors when they've gone to teach at another school. they refuse to, since they say it is two different things.

Depends on the art according to my last BJJ instructor in BJJ there is blackbelt then 1st degree. I hear the same is true of TKD. In the Bujinkan it is just shodan (1st dan) 2nd 3rd etc. I think most Japanese arts are like that.

Comment

Originally posted by shinbushi
      Depends on the art according to my last BJJ instructor in BJJ there is blackbelt then 1st degree. I hear the same is true of TKD.
      Not in any TKD style I know of.
      A blackbelt is a first Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok2006
        Not in any TKD style I know of.
        A blackbelt is a first Dan.
        Same with Judo I think
        " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

Originally posted by Asriel
          Same with Judo I think
          Yep.

And since Kano created the color belts and the Kyu/Dan grading system that is the one to go with.

I have never seen a black belt and then a shodan. Its always been SHODAN= Black Belt.
          Some schools I have "Jr BB" which was a BB with a whitestripe.
          ______
          Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
          -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
          The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
          -Daniel Tosh

Comment

Modern Arnis has a black belt, then a 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by shinbushi
              Depends on the art according to my last BJJ instructor in BJJ there is blackbelt then 1st degree. I hear the same is true of TKD. In the Bujinkan it is just shodan (1st dan) 2nd 3rd etc. I think most Japanese arts are like that.
              Nope, TKD starts with 1st degree. Makes sense, since it was taken largely unchanged from Karate.

Comment

There are bound to be exceptions, and deceptions. Go Kan Ryu (aka Go Kon Yu) karate has "almost blackbelt" belts that are worn by the lowly graded instructors to make them appear more experienced, cedible and autrhoriative to dupped students. Similarly there was some "BJJ" distance learning McDojoism thing Sam investigated that used really dark blue (looks like black) belts.

But the common ground in these exceptions is that the orgs in question are dubious.

Also, some clubs probably award "1st Dan" without reference or inclination towards the weaing of a black belt, and others might award a "black belt" without necessarily calling it "1st Dan".
                You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
                FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
                Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
                Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Comment

Same with Goju

Comment

It depends on the school/system. In WTF TKD, the first black belt rank is 1st Dan. There are a lot of variants, though. In Youn Wha Ryu (GM Han's system which uses TKD as its "base"), for example, there is a "0 Dan" black belt before 1st Dan.

Comment

All aikido styles are like that, BB = 1st dan. Same with JJK and SJJ in Sweden.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X