Hi There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi There

My name is Matt and I'm a noob. I am not a 1,000,000 degree black belt in anything. I enjoy long walks in the park ,sunsets.. oops wrong forum. I box and I'm trying to decided between BJJ and Judo for my 40 year old a*@ to take next.

In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, lever, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Comment

if you wanna say "ass", say "ass".

take BJJ if it's available in your area.

and welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

Originally posted by lever
        My name is Matt and I'm a noob. I am not a 1,000,000 degree black belt in anything. I enjoy long walks in the park ,sunsets.. oops wrong forum. I box and I'm trying to decided between BJJ and Judo for my 40 year old a*@ to take next.
        Welcome to Bullshido!

The main differences between the two are that BJJ tends to be expensive (generally because its much harder to find an experienced BJJ instructor than it is to find an experienced judo instructor) and focused on the ground, whereas judo is fairly cheap and more concerned with throws. Personally, I'd say BJJ is very worth the money, so if you can afford it, definitely go for BJJ. If its currently out of your price range, then judo is a good subsitute - BJJ and judo share many of the same techniques, having the same root, but with a different emphasis due to how each style has evolved.

Ideally, you'd do both, as the two complement eachother well, but for most people with a full-time job, that's going to be difficult.

You might also find the Bullshido.com article on judo of interest, as well as the numerous threads on BJJ which are of particular benefit for beginners:

Training, Stagnation and Tapping
        Maximizing what you get out of rolling
        Protecting Yourself During Sparring
        First Day Lesson
        Fundamental 5

And the following articles:

Starting BJJ Classes
        Nuggets of Advice

Finally, if you look around newbietown, there are quite a few threads on the same topic which may help you in your decision.
        BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

Working...
        X