New mixed martial arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New mixed martial arts

Since the last few years i have had expierences with different styles, practisioners, and teachers in the martial arts world that made me start thinking.

Not only on Bullshido, but also in real life there is lots of talking going on about how this isn't that complete or how certain approaches fail, and what not.

So the idea i had was this:

Picture a center, a big building, several floors, tatami dojo's, octagons, bagwork rooms, a main room with a ring,a cantina/social room, a library with feedback,a huge building in which several teachers can hold classes.
    You have a foundation that owns the building and a small board of guys who handle the finances.

One guy rents a tatami 3 nights a week to teach Judo, another rents a space to teach MMA 2 times a week, third one rents time and space for boxing classes.
    I'm thinking big here, a centre in which several schools and styles come together, each with their own students, aikido, jiujitsu,BJJ,MMA,boxing,muay thai,escrima,kendo,etc. etc. etc.
    Almost like a martial arts factory.
    Teachers can drop by at a collegues class to give a guest lesson,teachers of similar styles can team up to raise money to invite big names to come over for clinics.
    Loads of opportunities.
    Perhaps even in time, teachers could fuse into one 'company'which would allow their students to train at any given style for the same amount of money/membershipfee.
    Until that time there is one lounge/cantina where people of different classes can meet up and have a drink and get to know eachother.
    Due to the size of the required building and the number of students you need to make it a healthy financial bussiness you can only do this in larger cities,and setting it up,finding investers will not be easy at all,but not impossible.

Sounds stupid?
    It's more stupid to stick to your own school, in your own little building, in your own federation, bitching about this and that.
    It would be a healthy situation for martial arts in general.
    Almost a sort of communism in martial arts.

I thought it out pretty well (at least i think so) so if you have any critical questions please ask and make me rethink.

I love the concept. The idea of an Academy of Martial Arts is something I drool over. And I know a few people have have the financial wherewithal to back something like that IF a business plan can be made that shows the investors could turn a profit on it. But buildings like that are multi million dollar construction projects. It would be more practical to take over an old Walmart or grocery store space and build it out, and even that is very expensive. Once you had the space built out your expenses would drop dramatically, but the instructors have to get paid too... How would that be handled? Instructors leasing space from you and collecting revenue from their students and whatever price? A salary for the instructors and you set the rates for the students? That might be very appealing since most MA schools that fail do so because the instructors are terrible business people.

If you write up a business plan, a real, fully qualified business plan I can get some people with the money to invest in the project to look it over. Email me, jswentworth at gmail dot com.
    sigpic

Comment

sounds like the kotokan, only with mma.

warehouse space is not too expsensive. might be better alternative to an old big box store like a wal mart. they come huge too. well over 200,000 sq ft. and you can lease for very cheap, rather than purchase. might make sense initially.

Comment

Straight Blast Gym called. They want their business model back.

Well, not exactly, but theirs is very similar.
        Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

You have failed to immerse me in your vision for a better tomorrow. Therefore, you are fail.

YMAS, also.

Comment

Originally posted by Poo-Jitsu
            sounds like the kotokan, only with mma.

warehouse space is not too expsensive. might be better alternative to an old big box store like a wal mart. they come huge too. well over 200,000 sq ft. and you can lease for very cheap, rather than purchase. might make sense initially.
            You would still have to build the space out unless you just wanted a HUGE open mat. Gotta put in Octagons, boxing rings, etc... and I imagine most instructore swould want walled off areas to teach in.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kintanon
              You would still have to build the space out unless you just wanted a HUGE open mat. Gotta put in Octagons, boxing rings, etc... and I imagine most instructore swould want walled off areas to teach in.
              well, technically octagons, mat areas, and boxing rings are equipment, and not build outs. your office type interior build outs are going to run you around $35-$55 per square foot, so you want to try to limit that to save money. Maybe just administrative office, and perhaps a lounge area. most large warehouse centers have these already built in them. complete with conference rooms, kitchens, offices, etc. but training areas could certainly be in the open space. i have seen distribution centers operating like that (the only separation from one company to the next in the space being something arbitrary like a 2 story shelving unit)

i dont know that instructors would have to have walled off areas to teach in, actually. if the space is big, and there are delineations such as mats, rings, weight training areas, etc. then they might be fine, particularly for low lease rates. it might also help in the overall mixing effect - keep people exposed to others training methods, etc.

Comment

Inosanto Academy has been doing something like this for years. Kali, silat, shooto, csw, bjj, muay thai, kickboxing, cardio conditioning and kettle bells are all taught by various instructors in the academy. You're a bit late to the party, chief. It's a good idea you just need folks to get on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Poo-Jitsu

i dont know that instructors would have to have walled off areas to teach in, actually. if the space is big, and there are delineations such as mats, rings, weight training areas, etc. then they might be fine, particularly for low lease rates. it might also help in the overall mixing effect - keep people exposed to others training methods, etc.
                  It's a pain in the ass to try to communicate with 20 people in a space big enough for 2000.
                  Sound carries wierdly. Even just some walls with big plexi windows in them would be preferably to huge open space.
                  sigpic

Comment

no,im not late at the party,neither am i a chief.
                    i was thinking about big warehouse type of buildings,and ofcourse not one big open mat,but walled dojo's.

The big difference with jkd and straight blast gym is that there is no one boss.
                    The owner of the building could be some bussinessguy who wants a piece of the cake.

That is the big differrence.
                    Lets say me and airman kai are both teachers,airman kai teaches tkd (teeh hee) and i teach boxing,so i pay my rent to the buildingowner and so does airman kai,whatever we do or how we conduct our lessons is totally up to ourselves.
                    So airman kai could charge his students 30 a month and i could charge a 120,perhaps i have more classes then he,or a bigger training room i rent.
                    If we meet and get along we could choose to interact etc.

See it more as a leasure center idea then one big company.
                    More a congregation of teachers who all team up.

Its like a giant shopping mall,different stores renting from the buildingowner.
                    They dont have to interfere with eachother or play boss.
                    In this case there must be some sort of judging system because its not good to have idiots in who drag down the name by teaching hokypokyjitsu.
                    Last edited by Lebell; 6/26/2007 8:41am, .

Comment

So what you're advocating is the martial arts equivalent of bands having practice rooms in the same building, except no crappy bands allowed to rent there?

Comment

trying not to sound too nit picky, here but as far as warehouse space goes - the exterior (shell) walls are like 3-4 stories high. putting interior build outs are not all that feasible. i have been in maybe 20 large warehouses, and have never seen one with walls in the distribution space. separated space is better served with office space, which is like 5 times more expensive than typical warehouse space.

possibly a warehouse/office complex like the ones than many of us train in, with lots of mini warehouses (each around 1,000 - 2,000 square feet) but there would be very little mixing in that scenario - the only shared space they have is a parking lot. i guess you could set that up in some sort of park-esque setting...

Comment

no, dude, what you really want is to get a private island, with a bunch of your own mercenaries hired to police the place.

then you invite the best fighters from the whole world to compete in a secret death match, which is actually a veiled attempt to recruit them into your criminal empire...

oh wait, that was enter the dragon. nevermind.
                          "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                          "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                          "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                          "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Originally posted by Naszir
                            So what you're advocating is the martial arts equivalent of bands having practice rooms in the same building, except no crappy bands allowed to rent there?
                            There you go!
                            Pretty much,yeah.
                            But with a difference that they share utilities such as a cantina etc. and have opportunities to set things up,such as cross-training and get their heads together to be able to hire high profile guest instructors such as Thornton etc.

Comment

Then you want a MA co-op.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X