No announcement yet.

Humility and surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I tell people I suck but there's no "false" in that modesty.

Comment

I usually just shrug and tell them I do the best I can.

Comment

I'm always pretty modest about my skills, because I'm constantly reminded how little I know. Realistically, I think I measure up well to others who have been training about as long as I have (~1 year) but whenever I start feeling like I'm getting it, I get paired up with some purple belt who makes me feel like a handicapped 5 year old.

When a new student asks me a question like that, I just say "I'm alright," because it nicer than saying "Compared to him, I suck, but I'm still a lot better than you."

Comment

A friend of mine once said "The older I get, the more I realize that I don't know jack." I'm quickly beginning to agree with that sentiment.

Comment

one of the other instructors referred to me as an "excellent grappler" during a class when we were discussing ground technique.

i told everyone present that he was very very wrong and that i wasn't even a decent grappler. i couldn't even place in the beginners division at the last NAGA i went to (couple years back.)

that wasn't humility, it was honesty.

it is true that there is a lot of that sort of humility in the CMA community, especially the older sifus. unfortunately it doesn't seem to have continued into the current generation.

Comment

i think true humility shows when it is not an act. humility comes from the insight that there will always be someone better than you. when you are pretending to be humble you look like a prick.

you can still be confident in your abilities, but be aware that you are not the best. if that is how you really feel, then you wont appear arrogant, just confident.

the surfing thing (i have been surfing for about 15 years, by way of reference) is all an image and an act. sure, the ocean is humbling, but that business with calling a 6 foot wave 2 feet to appear cool and nonchalant is ridiculous and immature. the whole surfing culture, particularly with high school aged kids is riddled with that "too cool" image. but hey, whatever gets you laid, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorian Gracie
                When you are in as something as awesome and as spiritual as the ocean, it is easy to be humble. I never feel as helpless as when I am in the ocean. However, I never feel as at peace when I am outside of it.
                Surfing in Nor Cal? No thanks, my balls are small enough already.

Comment

True honesty is the ultimate humility. I tell people, yeah I'm good at some things but my sweeps suck or whatever is sucking at the time. I like to tell people how to defeat me so I can focus on improving that aspect of my game.

I think people feel the truth in it and appreciate the candor more than just saying that you suck. Especially newbs, if you tell a newb that you actually suck but you just tapped him 5 times how is he supposed to feel?

Comment

I think you guys need to get your hands off your cocks.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CodosDePiedra
                        That's one of my favourite chat up lines...

Comment

When you are in as something as awesome and as spiritual as the ocean, it is easy to be humble. I never feel as helpless as when I am in the ocean. However, I never feel as at peace when I am outside of it.
                          Holy shit. I could've written that.

GET OUT OF MY MIND.
                          Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
                          click here to order on Amazon

Comment

About the wave measurement... Its not humility, They just use the scientific way of measuring the amplitude of wave, which is from its center.

Comment

I have that with women.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebell
                                I have that with women.

i'm from holland. isn't that vierd?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X