I call bs: Don Isaak's battlefield krotty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I call bs: Don Isaak's battlefield krotty

I call bullshit but I can't be arsed to investigate it, so here it is in YMAS for comedy value.

I searched the site for "Don Isaak" and got no good results which astonishes me so my apologies if this LARPIng is old news.

Promotional video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFisBVO1_AQ&NR=1
    I have only watched with the sound off so I have no idea what he says but I'd bet my daughter it's bullshit. The demo at the end is sooo lame, the attacker litterally punches to miss by a mile.

I guess from his hairstyle there's Kempo involved somewhere.

But what I really want to call bullshit on is the title he's given it - "Ancient Okinawan Battlefield Karate"

1. Ancient. Karate isn't ancient
    2. Okinawan. Hmmm, or made up by some yank rediscovering some kata maybe - just guessing
    3. Battlefield. Since when did any rational person use karate in a military battle????
    4. Karate. Probably sucks then.

I rest my case. Don Isaaks is bullshido.
    Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 6/16/2007 1:57pm, .

I watched the vids. That guy is a fuckin moron, I think your right on calling bullshido.

Comment

Bloody hell, I just watched it with the sound on and he actually says "You can work 8 attackers".

Here's the punch that misses by a mile even before he starts his counter:

From the TotalvidInc website (they sell his vids)
      Sensei Don Isaak has over 30 years of experience and is currently the Chief Instructor and owner of Budokan International in Atlanta, Ga. Nationally ranked in forms, fighting and weapons (NASKA).
      Traced this chap's dojo to:
      Budokan International
      432 H Canton Hwy.
      Cumming, GA 30040
      Don Isaak
      800-297-9190
      678-947-3656

Also has used name "Gakusha Kobudo Budokan International"

He did have a website at www.DIBudokan.com but it's gone now.

He lists emails as [email protected] and [email protected]

Therefore, the centre of this bullshidoism is somewhere here:

I'm confused because I thought he operated out of Ancient Okinawa.
      Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 6/16/2007 2:24pm, .

Comment

Is the OP suggesting that Karate isn't from Okinawa? or am i misreading??

Otherwise you are quite right on calling bs on the other stuff.

Comment

"I guess from his hairstyle there's Kempo involved somewhere."

So there is truth to that! I thought I was the only one who noticed that. Why does it happen?

Comment

Originally posted by seanyseanybean
            Is the OP suggesting that Karate isn't from Okinawa? or am i misreading??

Otherwise you are quite right on calling bs on the other stuff.
            Blimey, all those years of karate and I never realised that :pottytrai

But seriously, anyone else notice how it's become a bit of a gimick for karate dudes who are setting up their own institutions or selling their own twist on karate to play down their Japanese/Western lineage and reference the Okinawan bit - like it makes them more authentic, hardcore, niche or something. Irony is they are by definition less authentic, they just think that their interpretation of some katra or tradition is somehow more valid and closer to the REAL karate blah blah. Common theme?

Comment

I found his current website at http://www.aafamilykarate.com/

Another email address [email protected]

Silly Acronym for Self-Defence = E.S.C.A.P.E = Yes
              Pressure points = Yes
              Self-defence wrist locks = Yes

= silly

Looks like the centre of this bullshido may have relocated to

Ancient Arts Family Karate
              3131 Smokey Point Drive, Arlington WA 98223

Maybe he should look the word "Ancient" up in the dictionary

Comment

This guy doesnt even have a good basic skillset.
                If it's true he has more then 30 years of experience it makes me wonder what the hell he's been doing with that time.
                I left him a nice comment on youtube.

Comment

Well, what I was taught as "H Kata" in my old Shorai/Shukokai days is actually "Dragon Boy form"......whoda thunkit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XTIm...related&search=

He has to be the worst fat out of shape karateka-type person I have seen this week

This is PRIME RIB bullshido!

Comment

What this thread needs is for Do Isaak or his followers to come explain what's so ancient and battleproven about what he's peddling.

*You now observe an aethist praying for the first time*

Comment

Is that hissing noise he is making common in Karate?

Or is that his own personal touch?

Comment

I've seen other karate folks do that.
                        HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
                        https://www.fitocracy.com/group/2988/

Comment

Originally posted by Money
                          I've seen other karate folks do that.
                          Yes, not just Karate. I've seen pro-boxers do it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanniballistic
                            Well, what I was taught as "H Kata" in my old Shorai/Shukokai days is actually "Dragon Boy form"......whoda thunkit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XTIm...related&search=

He has to be the worst fat out of shape karateka-type person I have seen this week

This is PRIME RIB bullshido!
                            "Dragon Boy" is slang for Empi/Wanshu.

Performance here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNhdL-2yDu8

I don't know what the hell that Isaak guy was doing.

Comment

This stuff looks like standard dead-trained TMA. He says at the start that it is a drill in tai sabaki, so he would probably say that his uke missed him because he made a slight movement out of the way. It's silly and ineffective for fighting, but that doesn't make it Bullshido (if by Bullshido we mean deliberately deceptive / made up)- except for the title, which I agree is total nonsense.

I also disagree that he "doesn't have a basic skillset." I think his form looks fine. It's not anything that would help much in alive-trained martial arts; but that doesn't mean he made it up last week in his basement or from watching Steven Seagal movies.

I make the distinction because I think there's a big difference between the Coda Scotts / Ashida Kims of the world, and people who are just really dedicated to martial arts that don't work.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X