Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't I escape karate? Less of a rant and more of a whine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't I escape karate? Less of a rant and more of a whine.

After recently helping my boxing gym pack up for the 3rd time, I decided to check out a "kickboxing" gym not 5 minutes from my house. I walked in, talked to the head instructor, told him my experience, and signed up for an intro class. The intro class was a private class with mostly padwork and working some footwork, no bowing in or anything like that. I signed up for the minimum contract, 3 months, and paid half the contract up front.

The next class I attended was a class run by one of their fighters, who is an American Kickboxing champion. But as it's American kickboxing, he's one of many. (not that he's a bad fighter). Decent class all told, despite the class being mostly line drills, and crosses being referred to as reverse punches. I did get to move around a little after the nearly hour of line drills, plus we were able to spar with leg kicks.

The next class lead by a different instructor wearing a gi, was the same, warm up, line drills, but instead of sparring, we did bagwork, poorly. 2 minute rounds of just jab cross, then kicks, jab hook etc. The bagwork was definitely one thing that got to me.

Next class was another instructor wearing a gi, line drills, etc. then some jab/crosses on a kick shield then some kicks on the kick shield. After that he had us stand in a horse stance, then, actually had us do punches in a horse stance. Which I didn't do, I refuse to ever get into a horse stance again, as well as any type of chambered punch. Then back to line drills, with high blocks and downward elbows. But I got to spar with the instructor and he kneed me a couple of times so he got some respect back from me.

So, basically the next couple of things, that got to me was the fact that I have to wear gym T shirt, which I was specifically told to keep tucked in, plus I need to use the booties when I spar, which I swore I was done with after leaving karate the first time. So I'll probably wind up leaving this place too, and just resign myself to the mobile boxing gym until I get out of the NYPD academy, then have access to all the MT gyms in the city area.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 6/15/2007 3:20pm, .

Also this last class we were told to do keep our legs up in chambered position, to work on our balance.

Comment

Originally posted by ojgsxr6
      Also this last class we were told to do keep our legs up in chambered position, to work on our balance.
      Is that the "dog pisses on lampost" stance?

Comment

it's a fighting stance-- didn't any of you tools watch "the karate kid"?
        if mr. miyagi approves....

*roll eyes*
        Punch Kick Choke MMA Blog

My Interview with Phrost! My Interview with SamboSteve!

Comment

Originally posted by colonelpong2
          Is that the "dog pisses on lampost" stance?
          Yeah, pretty much.

Comment

I think you should just do some more research. If you want a good Muay Thai gym, try out Borodin's (not sure about spelling) Gym on On Ave Y between east 24 and 23 st. Its in Sheepshead Bay so just google earth Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY and then type in gym and you should find it. If you dont like that place then just look up more places, theres tons of info on the web, and its not all McDojo advertisments.

Comment

We actually practice a stance one leg sometimes. We have to kick with the chambered leg repeatedly. People think it's lame until they have to do it for a while, then they hate it.

Comment

If it's either lame or hated, it must be good.

Comment

Originally posted by ojgsxr6

Which I didn't do, I refuse to ever get into a horse stance again, as well as any type of chambered punch. Then back to line drills, with high blocks and downward elbows. But I got to spar with the instructor and he kneed me a couple of times so he got some respect back from me.

So did you just stand there or stand to the side? Did anyone end up saying anything to you?

Comment

i'll give you a couple of more posts to make this thread cool before i start gayefying it.

Comment

Originally posted by rsobrien
                      So did you just stand there or stand to the side? Did anyone end up saying anything to you?
                      I just took really long to put the kick shield away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebell
                        i'll give you a couple of more posts to make this thread cool before i start gayefying it.
                        Your mere presence is gay enough as is it.
                        Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                        ...Willing is not enough you must do
                        ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by KempoFist
                          Your mere presence is gay enough as is it.
                          are you coming on to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Lebell
                            are you coming on to me?
                            You're lucky there's a large body of water between us....take that how you will
                            Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                            ...Willing is not enough you must do
                            ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by KempoFist
                              You're lucky there's a large body of water between us....take that how you will
                              O, be nice...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X