rolling for BJJ n00bs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rolling for BJJ n00bs?

had a friend who lives in FL just come over here for vacation a week ago. he told me he had taken up BJJ a while back. i found this really cool, as i thought it'd be nice to grapple with an actual BJJer (i've only sparred JJJers/judokas), since i don't have any real grappling instruction, nor do i have the time to get any atm, it's kinda fun to learn by example when getting thrashed by people who know what they're doing.

so i asked him to roll one day. to my surprise, he tells me he doesn't know how.

i asked him how long he's been taking BJJ, he says about 4 months. i ask him what he does, basically he tells me his instructors have been running him through the moves, submissions and whatnot, teaching him the basics. but he has yet to actually roll.

he tells me he has been taught a couple of armbar variations, the triangle from a couple of positions, and mataleao (which i believe is a sort of RNC?) among some other subs. but he has yet to actually apply them in sparring.

is this normal? i thought it was fairly common for beginners to start free sparring quickly. but then again, i have never been to a BJJ school. i asked him the school's name, but i forget atm. also, he says the classes are quite expensive, and is considering finding a cheaper school if he can. i don't really remember, but i think he said $200 a month.

I have never joined any BJJ club and I have done free rolling. By which I mean within a few hours of random sessions of BJJ. That sounds insane, how many times a week does he train for $200 per month?
    Originally posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Comment

I rolled in my first class. Where I currently train, you roll (often against me, I need the ego boost) in your second, and in every class after that. In my opinion, every day you wait to start sparring is a day you're waiting to learn to fight. Spazzy newbs should be paired up with people with a bit of experience so they don't go damaging each other.

Comment

aaaaaaaa your friend needs to get out of there immediately.

we do at least 3 6 minute rolls at my place at the end of class, and then more if you want to after (which i generally volunteer for). and i starting rolling my first class (possibly only because i told them i had hs wrestling experience)

Comment

I didn't roll my first too classes, but that's only because I was in such awful shape that I was about to puke just from doing the warm ups. There's no good reason for your friend to be rolling during every class at this point.

Comment

fuck. i thought so. i mean, i know shit about grappling, but what little shit i do know was taught to me through rolling. i lunged at my JJJ buddy, he tossed me like a girls dress on prom night. after recovering from the high amplitude throw, i asked him exactly how he did that.

lather, rinse, repeat, until i had gotten a few techniques down. and i never got hurt or anything, so i didn't see why my friend's school wouldn't let him roll.

he's still here. i think we're having a little throwdown here in a couple of weeks, i'm definitely telling him to come and see if i can talk some sense into him.

what's the best way to tell someone their school sucks?

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldk
              what's the best way to tell someone their school sucks?
              Say 'your school sucks' after you tap them out for the fifteenth time.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn
                Say 'your school sucks' after you tap them out for the fifteenth time.
                what if he refuses to roll, saying if his instructors won't let him at the school, he won't roll with us yet?

Comment

Ask him what brand of tampons he uses because your little sister just got her first visit from Aunt Flow.

I've only ever been able to take one class (being that I'm poor) but I was rolling -- ineptly, but it was happening -- by the end of that one and only class.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldk
                    what if he refuses to roll, saying if his instructors won't let him at the school, he won't roll with us yet?
                    I am seriously having trouble with the mental image of a BJJ player refusing to roll. All the ones I've ever met will flying triangle you halfway through any sentence containing the word 'fight'.

I suppose you could tell him anonymous internet peeps think his school sucks and he, personally, is a fucking disgrace?

You could tell him the 10 year old kid I train with got more rolling experience in his first month than he has in his whole life?

If he has at least been doing live positional drilling (like 'escape the mount', 'pass the guard') you could argue it was kind of OK, I suppose...

Comment

There are a handful of schools out there that restrict rolling for newbies.
                      What's his name in San Diego that puts out good instructionals might. A few of the Gracies do. Etc. This presumably helps limit the newbie exuberance that leads to inadequate drilling.

The question is how well do those who do roll perform in competition.

Comment

Even then, its kind of strange, 4 months with NO rolling at ALL?

Comment

Not my school. Seems like a bad idea to me. However, some schools implement this sort of system and still produce good competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by UpaLumpa
                            Not my school. Seems like a bad idea to me. However, some schools implement this sort of system and still produce good competitors.
                            The question is, do they start producing them after wasting four months of their time/sucking in four months of fees...

Comment

My school generally discourages newbies with under 1 month from attending open mat, but seasons them up for rolling by doing full resistance pass-the-guard or escape-the-mount drills at the end of the technique portion of the class. I think the general idea is to keep people from totally spazzing the first time they're getting mauled on the ground, and to give them at least a basic idea on positions, transitions, and a sub or two. A few other schools in the area follow a similar system as far as I know; however, 4 months seems excessively long.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X