• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing in Public Schools?

http://www.fightbeat.com/article_detail.php?AT=409
    Including Boxing In The School Curriculum
    By Jacqui Snow

http://www.myspace.com/jacquis
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

I like it. I also like the psychological benefits that are espoused to go hand in hand with boxing such as dealing with and facing adversity, much like how virtuous benefits are espoused in other sports such as teamwork and good sportsmanship.
    ~Bruce Lee

Comment

So go train boxing.
      Originally posted by sochin101
      Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
      Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Comment

And that is the best way for young stupid boys (I was one once) to get over
        their problems with each other. I mean, a lot of times, boys that hate each other fight then become friends....well, this time nobody has to get shot!

I'd rather see young boys glove up and settle their disputes, learn a sport, conditioning etc than to shoot each other.

last time I checked, no bystanders ever got hit by a stray 16 oz glove.
        SEANBABY:
        "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

I really wish I'd had a chance to box in school. I think this is a great idea.

Comment

60-70 years ago, boxing programs for junior high/high schoolers within the school system used to be as ubiquitous as wrestling is now.

History never repeats itself. Only historians do.
            Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
            "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
            Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
            Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
            Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
            Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
            Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
            I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
            TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
            ATTN TOM KAGAN
            World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
            Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
            I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
            Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

See,

It all went to hell when they kicked boxing out of schools.
              SEANBABY:
              "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

Originally posted by Jkdbuck76
                See,

It all went to hell when they kicked boxing out of schools.
                But we are encouraging violence! Think of the children!

On a related note, I always hear about how television and video games teach children to be violent. I know a family with 3 kids, and they don't even have a TV in their house, let alone video games or cable, and those are the most violent kids I know. Without a source of mindless entertainment, they resort to what's natural.....striking others.
                ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by KempoFist

On a related note, I always hear about how television and video games teach children to be violent. I know a family with 3 kids, and they don't even have a TV in their house, let alone video games or cable, and those are the most violent kids I know. Without a source of mindless entertainment, they resort to what's natural.....striking others.

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.

Comment

Bringing boxing back to schools would be fantastic.

Comment

There would be a mountain of insurance-red tape issues to surmount with school districts. The boxing club at my college didn't have any kind of official backing from the athletic department the way other club sports did. All we could do was try to reserve space in one of the rec rooms ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by KempoFist

How many kids do YOU have?
                        "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Comment

Originally posted by Jkdbuck76
                          And that is the best way for young stupid boys (I was one once) to get over
                          their problems with each other. I mean, a lot of times, boys that hate each other fight then become friends....well, this time nobody has to get shot!

I'd rather see young boys glove up and settle their disputes, learn a sport, conditioning etc than to shoot each other.

last time I checked, no bystanders ever got hit by a stray 16 oz glove.
                          I agree. We need to go back to the old school, one-on-one fisticuffs to resolve disputes. All too often now it's a gang of multiple thugs knocking some kid down, then they all stomp on his head until he's in a coma(assuming they aren't packing heat).

Comment

Originally posted by new2bjj
                            How many kids do YOU have?
                            Me? I play my child-bearing old school Greek style.....I eat them upon birth.
                            ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by ggboxer
                              There would be a mountain of insurance-red tape issues to surmount with school districts. The boxing club at my college didn't have any kind of official backing from the athletic department the way other club sports did. All we could do was try to reserve space in one of the rec rooms ahead of time.
                              Sadly this is the truth. People striking each other? It's gotten to the point that harsh stares are taboo, and grade school sports have stopped keeping score as they don't want to hurt any feelings. To be honest I'm surprised they still offer wrestling before 6th grade.
                              ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X