Help me out here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me out here....

I know its my fault for bring up ground-fighting on a Karate forum, but I seem to be engaged in a debate at the moment over what would be the best position in a multiple attacker situation. I stated that both positions would be bad, and that if its not one on one, you loose. I did say however that I can see the merits of going to ground if your faced with multiple attackers (provided your trained to do so). You can tell where your opponents are coming from, and if your trained to fight on the ground surley its better to know how to defend yourself down thier than to either get the shit kicked out of you trying to get back up or stand up and fight. of course running is going to be impossible but Ive assumed you decided not to do that when ou chose to fight more than one person, or where conrner ect.

If you stand and start kicking and puching, don't most 1 on 1 street fights end up on the ground anyway? Just seems to me that if your dumb enough to try and fight a group of people, then at least have some knowledge of he ground. Just seems to me like it hold more merits than striking in this situation. Ill say it again to help miniminse the flaming, I know from exsperiance that when attacked by multiple people you don't flip out and go all Bruce Lee, you go to hospital. So running the fuck away not being an option, do you think ground fighting holds more merits than striking in a multiple attacker situation?

I couldn't find another thread on this, although I know thier probably was and strill is one, so a link to that would probably be more productive than starting a new one.

*hides*

first of all,multiple attackers are alwaysbad news.
    it helps that if you are trained in groundfighting you can quickly flip the guy over and get up on your feet again,because you dont want to wrestle someone when his buddies are there too.

Best position,or actually least worse:knee,shin on stomach or flank,that way you are most mobile.

i'm sure im missing a couple of optiions but the guys here will fill that in.

general advice:discussions about the str33t and multiple attackers are usually pretty lame and pointless.

Comment

Yeah I don't exspect any revelations, just wanted to know if thier a was a link to another thread I missed or if anyone could give a quick summary of the pros/cons of each.

Comment

when dealing with multiple attackers there are no pro's for groundfighting.
        should always avoid it.

one on one its excellent.
        Friend of mine is a japanese judo guy he put it like this:if you do striking arts,and trouble starts,you may end up breaking an opponents nose or give him a black eye etc.
        When you just lock the guy up and submit him,you can control the situation and diffuse it without any damage to the opponent.

Keep in mind this is assuming you know your techniques etc.
        I agree with him,its a civilised way of ending a conflict.

Comment

The best position in mutlitple attackers is your back to the opponents
          and you are running like Louie Anderson to an all-u-can-eat buffett
          of fried starch.
          SEANBABY:
          "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Comment

when you're on the ground, scream that you're a hemophiliac and cry like a little girl.

when they let you go out of pity, you kata dante their balls and their ears.

works 90% of the time ALL of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkdbuck76
              The best position in mutlitple attackers is your back to the opponents
              and you are running like Louie Anderson to an all-u-can-eat buffett
              of fried starch.
              yes definitly best technique...*cough* pussy! *cough*
              wow that was a nasty cough...:-p

Comment

multiple attackers? i still think going to the ground is a bad idea.

my thought would be the best stance to adopt would be... THROWING. go judo on their asses. i might be talking out of my ass, actualy, i probably am, but considering the situation quickly leads me to believe good throwing technique + striking would be the best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldk
                  multiple attackers? i still think going to the ground is a bad idea.

my thought would be the best stance to adopt would be... THROWING. go judo on their asses. i might be talking out of my ass, actualy, i probably am, but considering the situation quickly leads me to believe good throwing technique + striking would be the best solution.
                  yeah... but w/ multiple attackers... the scenario is usually someone pins you down and the rest of the guys stomp the shit out of you.

with groundwork... you can at least get the guy off of you and have a better chance of defending yourself. even at a very basic level.

Comment

Originally posted by fes_fsa
                    yeah... but w/ multiple attackers... the scenario is usually someone pins you down and the rest of the guys stomp the shit out of you.

with groundwork... you can at least get the guy off of you and have a better chance of defending yourself. even at a very basic level.
                    Agreed. But it sounds like the OP means going to the ground and fighting from there rather than doing everything to get away, stay on your feet and get up if you do get taken down.

Or maybe my reading-fu is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Escrima9
                      Agreed. But it sounds like the OP means going to the ground and fighting from there rather than doing everything to get away, stay on your feet and get up if you do get taken down.

Or maybe my reading-fu is broken.
                      he was asking if ground fighting has more merits than just plain striking with multiple attackers.

Comment

Originally posted by fes_fsa
                        he was asking if ground fighting has more merits than just plain striking with multiple attackers.
                        Some merit - yes

More merit - no

It's merit lies in getting your ass up as fast as possible and striking or running
                        If you can't laugh at yourself,
                        Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by FickleFingerOfFate
                          Some merit - yes

More merit - no

It's merit lies in getting your ass up as fast as possible and striking or running
                          i agree with that.

you have to remember though... with multiple attackers, you end up on the ground alot.

unless you're Chuck Norris.

Comment

No just somtimes exsplain things wrong and don't get my point across well on forums. My point over at the other forum is that fighting multiple attackers is going to get you messed up, but if you have knowledge of fighting on the ground its better to know what to do when you fighting on your back than to get the shit kicked out of you as you try to stand up. Going to ground is a bad idea, but if you have chosen to fight or have been put in that situation, provided your skilled in that chosen area it offers no massive disadvantages. By grappling I don't neseseraly (sp?) mean rolling around and wrestling, but using chokes and arms locks and other control techniques and by "going to ground" I don't mean use a take down to end up thier deliberatly. We plan to exsperiment on sunday at the Karate dojo I attend. multiple people on one, A karate-ka with no ground exsperiance at all is going to try it, and then im going to try it using judo/Jujutsu. I get the feeling they are saying "grapplers are fucked in a multiple attacker situation, but we pure strikers have a chance" because it is a karate forums, so slight bias thier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hidden Ronin
                              No just somtimes exsplain things wrong and don't get my point across well on forums. My point over at the other forum is that fighting multiple attackers is going to get you messed up, but if you have knowledge of fighting on the ground its better to know what to do when you fighting on your back than to get the shit kicked out of you as you try to stand up. Going to ground is a bad idea, but if you have chosen to fight or have been put in that situation, provided your skilled in that chosen area it offers no massive disadvantages. By grappling I don't neseseraly (sp?) mean rolling around and wrestling, but using chokes and arms locks and other control techniques and by "going to ground" I don't mean use a take down to end up thier deliberatly. We plan to exsperiment on sunday at the Karate dojo I attend. multiple people on one, A karate-ka with no ground exsperiance at all is going to try it, and then im going to try it using judo/Jujutsu. I get the feeling they are saying "grapplers are fucked in a multiple attacker situation, but we pure strikers have a chance" because it is a karate forums, so slight bias thier.
                              if you have a problem getting your point across...

try breaking down your giant ADHD shit brick of jibberish into clear, concise paragraphs.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X