Why is MT and kickboxing so high in regard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is MT and kickboxing so high in regard

When anyone asks at Bullshido which striking/kicking art to start in, MT or kickboxing is suggested more than nine times out of ten in the forums here. My question to you practitioners is -- what makes MT and kickboxing so good?

Is it the set of techniques? The techniques themselves? The training methodology (full contact I suppose)? Or a combination of the above?

If it's the techniques themselves, please elaborate on the finer details. GO!

http://boxturtlesite.info/diet.html
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Full contact punching and kicking FTW. I'm guessing a small amount of techniques all trained effectively. Kid your picture looks like an amputee.
      Originally posted by sochin101
      Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
      Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Comment

Originally posted by KidSpatula
        Those things can give you salmonella.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
        King, and lord of sin and pride
        With some mist his wits make dark.
        He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! MOTHERFUCKER.

Comment

I wish this was in my forum so I could lock and delete it.

Comment

If you're asking why MT ended up being so good, I think it's a matter of sheer chance that Thai kickboxing rules and Korean martial arts are usually little more than patriotic pajama sprees.

If you're asking what makes it so good, it's a combination of all three. The training methodology (full contact!), the set of techniques (versatile and simple), and the actual techniques (taking advantage of physiology to maximize effectiveness... knees, shins, and elbows are REALLY HARD, and most styles usually ignore them) are all things that make a style awesome. And, since MT tends to have that, there's your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShark
              I wish this was in my forum so I could lock and delete it.
              Seconded.
              Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Originally posted by SpringHeeledJack
                Those things can give you salmonella.
                Try boiling them for an extra 5 minutes... it toughens the flesh a shade, but lessens the risk of salmonella...
                Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

Questions like the one posed in this thread are best answered with a trip to a MT or MMA gym.

I asked what was so good about MMA until I visited a gym and got tapped out by a guy who'd been there for 4 months, with no prior training.

*edit* Repeatedly tapped out.
                  Last edited by Shinkengata; 5/29/2007 1:55pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by sochin101
                    Try boiling them for an extra 5 minutes... it toughens the flesh a shade, but lessens the risk of salmonella...
                    I eat them raw. With the shell still on.

Comment

because only a mixture of Kickboxing and Muay Thai could defeat Tong Po...

Comment

Originally posted by Shinkengata
                        Questions like the one posed in this thread are best answered with a trip to a MT or MMA gym.

I asked what was so good about MMA until I visited a gym and got tapped out by a guy who'd been there for 4 months, with no prior training.

*edit* Repeatedly tapped out.
                        Unfortunately, this learning technique doesn't always work with boxing, kickboxing, or MT. This is because the head trauma inflicted by the many excellent and convincing "arguments" the instructors and students will make has a significant chance of causing temporary amnesia.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigSwede
                          When anyone asks at Bullshido which striking/kicking art to start in, MT or kickboxing is suggested more than nine times out of ten in the forums here. My question to you practitioners is -- what makes MT and kickboxing so good?

Is it the set of techniques? The techniques themselves? The training methodology (full contact I suppose)? Or a combination of the above?

If it's the techniques themselves, please elaborate on the finer details. GO!
                          basically, kickboxing and muay thai both take the high percentage techniques from striking and practice them hard and full speed.

while in most striking TMAs, you have other things like "advanced" techniques, which are harder to do, are of much lower percentage, and bring you more risk during a fight. some are just flat out useless in a fight. ie. learning a proper combination of jab-cross-uppercut will be a lot more useful than learning to do a 720 spinning kick, even if learning the kick is harder.

most TMAs also tend to present other things, like philosophy and kata, where you must invest time in things not directly related to fighting.

so, boiling it down, with KB/MT, you get to train the techniques you will be using the most, over and over, at full speed, against resisting opponents. not much room to pussify a gym. however, when you have a curriculum that concerns other matters, a bad instructor can hide behind pretty katas or other things to masquerade his incompetence as a teacher, or in actual fighting overall.

Comment

Because they work.

Comment

MT is good for it's training methodology and it's focus on strong basic techinique. It has the punches and kicks as other styles, their just trained differently. That's just my opinion though.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X