Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London Arnis/Weapons Schools?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    London Arnis/Weapons Schools?

    I've been looking around London, England for a good arnis/weapons training school. I trained empty-hand styles for 6 years while at university in the US, so I don't know the scene in London at all.

    There's a crapton of weapon-based styles in London, but a lot of them look like they could be total BS schools. Anyone got some good advice?

    #2
    How about try them and find out? Best advice I have right now.

    Welcome to Bullshido.

    Also what empty hand styles did you train?
    Originally posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

    JFS vs The Villain here

    Comment


      #3
      I trained wing chun for 4 years (please, no wing chun comments...I get enough of those already), after spending two years dealing with McDojo after McDojo.

      I'm a little suspicious of this style, after seeing one of the pages on their parent system website. This "affiliate instructor" program looks suspiciously like a franchising system.

      http://www.rapidarnis.com/page11.html

      Comment


        #4
        I hear these guys are pretty good:
        http://www.bobbreen.co.uk/

        I've trained with a couple of their instructors (in BJJ rather than stabby fun), and they seem to be open minded hard-sparring bad-ass types. I haven't actually trained there, however, so take with a pinch of salt.

        Comment


          #5
          I'll second the Bob Breen Academy. One of my instructors has done seminars with him and reckons he's top notch. Again, not personal experience but probably worth a shot.

          Check out the instructors section for what they are qualified in, weapons wise:

          http://www.bobbreen.co.uk/Instructors.html

          Comment


            #6
            Looks like they only offer one weapons-based class per week. I was hoping for something more regular. Thanks for the advice, though!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by PsychoMongoose
              I'll second the Bob Breen Academy. One of my instructors has done seminars with him and reckons he's top notch. Again, not personal experience but probably worth a shot.

              Check out the instructors section for what they are qualified in, weapons wise:

              http://www.bobbreen.co.uk/Instructors.html
              Breifly scanning the website it looks like they are really channeling Bruce Lee. Red flag? Anyone?
              Originally posted by sochin101
              Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
              Training log. Here

              JFS vs The Villain here

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ma1234 View Post
                I've been looking around London, England for a good arnis/weapons training school. I trained empty-hand styles for 6 years while at university in the US, so I don't know the scene in London at all.

                There's a crapton of weapon-based styles in London, but a lot of them look like they could be total BS schools. Anyone got some good advice?
                We have just started London Academy of Arnis if you are still in London.

                http://london-arnis.co.uk/

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by fpeyman View Post
                  We have just started London Academy of Arnis if you are still in London.

                  http://london-arnis.co.uk/
                  Andy, you SOB!! Finally you're bringing some arnis over to my side of town :) Looks like I can start training again, now that all that personal crap is done.

                  You gonna be running it more than once a week?

                  --Lawrence

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Abusivemelon View Post
                    Breifly scanning the website it looks like they are really channeling Bruce Lee. Red flag? Anyone?
                    Red Flag? Seems unlikely, sir. I recall from Seminars with Nick Brooks (yes, now BJJ BB) and his Trad JJ training partner, Barry Harte, that both were apprentice instructors for Knife and Stick under Bob Breen. They were very complimentary about him.

                    More than enough recommendation for me. I've heard others speak of his knife work; they used superlatives to describe him.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Cheers

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by ma1234 View Post
                      I've been looking around London, England for a good arnis/weapons training school. I trained empty-hand styles for 6 years while at university in the US, so I don't know the scene in London at all.

                      There's a crapton of weapon-based styles in London, but a lot of them look like they could be total BS schools. Anyone got some good advice?
                      If you're up for historical European stuff, Dave Rawlings is one of the best guys in the country, and has a few different sessions across London on different evenings.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by ma1234 View Post
                        Andy, you SOB!! Finally you're bringing some arnis over to my side of town :) Looks like I can start training again, now that all that personal crap is done.

                        You gonna be running it more than once a week?

                        --Lawrence

                        Hi mate,

                        We're starting the class on Wednesday, and we'll see how it goes - if it's well received and there's demand for another one, i don't see why we can't open up another class.

                        The workspace is excellent - well lit, good facilities, and public transport nearby. Can't wait to start teaching there. It's a tad pricey, but i reckon it'll be worth it, and i'm looking at running some specialist workshops and seminars there if things go well.

                        Some of the other students were asking where you'd got to the other day - i hope it's all going ok - i was also hoping to get you down to the intensive training sessions we've been doing every other Saturday. When are you going to get back into your training? :)

                        Andy

                        Comment

                        Collapse

                        Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                        Working...
                        X